Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2013, 09:03 PM

4 posts, read 9,631 times

Advertisements

My room was too close to horders, it got really bad during the last few weeks of the semester when I was only focusing on school work. The day the semester ended I bought a bed frame, the day after that I cleaned everything out and put it together. I'm really receptive to any ideas you guys may have to continue to improve my room.

One component of this that I have some ideas for is the wall, I'm thinking either a cityscape decal or making my own mosaic out of tiles. I also had the idea for doing a series of 3-4 movie posters lined up, but with the green paint/wood I think the theme is too nature like for that. Thanks and looking forward to hearing ideas from you guys

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2013, 10:08 PM

4,096 posts, read 6,218,289 times
A couple questions before getting into it:

What are the dimensions of the room?
Male, I am guessing?
Your likes, city, movies, what kind?
Own or rent?
Can you paint the walls?

Nice platform I like it, but serious ankle buster there with your limited space.

Old 05-22-2013, 10:30 PM

It's a queen sized bed and a 50 inch tv mounted on the wall so I think it gives an illusion in this panorama that the room is smaller than it actually is. Just measured since you asked and it is 14.6 feet wide (Wall with the tv mounted to it), 11 feet long, 8 feet tall. Yep I am male, and my parents own, they don't mind painting or mounting stuff on the wall,etc.

Old 05-22-2013, 11:44 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,928,336 times
Pretty good job cleaning.

Are you open to painting?

Do you enjoy daylight, or do you like darkness?

The desk is not positioned correctly (blocking window - just looks awkward).

I would buy some art at yard sales or flea markets.

What is your taste in decor?

Can you afford bedding, curtains, paint, art, furniture (even if yard sale or flea market)?

Describe yourself and your tastes a little bit - color and style preferences, etc.

Old 05-23-2013, 12:45 AM

How about this for a start.

Long desk, across the width of the room, Can get formica
Clothes storage under it
Computer equipment under it
Shelfs not as deep as the desk, two on the right of the window, one for computer, one for books
Shelf across the top of the room
New light fixture
Art over bed
Darker Window Shade, roman shade

Then decide what color you like if you are going to paint, and find bedspread to go with it.
Big wall with more art after you decide what color you like

Have fun
Attached Thumbnails
Before/After of my Bedroom. Where to go from here?-bdrm.png  

Old 05-23-2013, 02:20 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,195,836 times
You did a good job cleaning up, the room has possibilities for sure.

I would definitely find some way to get the window unobstructed, as someone else has said. And for me the color in this room is like smothering in pond scum. I would need something with more light and life as a colour.

Old 05-23-2013, 02:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayekaye View Post
How about this for a start.

Long desk, across the width of the room, Can get formica
Clothes storage under it
Computer equipment under it
Shelfs not as deep as the desk, two on the right of the window, one for computer, one for books
Shelf across the top of the room
New light fixture
Art over bed
Darker Window Shade, roman shade

Then decide what color you like if you are going to paint, and find bedspread to go with it.
Big wall with more art after you decide what color you like

Have fun

WOW, I really like that drawing you sketched up. If I get a desk that sticks out more than 19 inches, I won't be able to reach my window real easily. How deep of a desk where you thinking?
The shelves look really good, I just don't know if I have enough stuff to fill them, especially that top one. I have a really nice ceiling fan right now, I wouldn't want to take it down and get rid of it when it's not even a year old yet. I was thinking of adding a floor standing rice paper light for some ambient light when I don't want to use the ceiling unit.

You've definitely convinced me to buy darker windows shades and I love the art over the bed, so those are definitely happening. The shelves seem really doable and would add a lot more space to the room, with your design I have to toss my current desk and it would make my window not very accessible.

Last edited by iAo44; 05-23-2013 at 02:39 AM..

Old 05-23-2013, 02:38 AM

I just took your post and filled in all the questions.

Are you open to painting?
I'm open to painting, all the furniture can slide to the middle of the room with ease so it would be a relatively easy.
Do you enjoy daylight, or do you like darkness?
Well usually i have my blinds closed, I enjoy staying up late and sleeping in and that's hard to do with wide-open blinds.
The desk is not positioned correctly (blocking window - just looks awkward).
I do realize this is an issue, I really want to avoid buying a new desk though. I just like how much space this one has it is great for when you have school work scattered all over the place and still want to use the mouse/keyboard.

What is your taste in decor?
I really wish I could answer this, but I don't have a taste. That's why I'm up for suggestions, if something looks like a good fit that would be great. I'm a fan of the black and white, stainless steel styles but that's the complete opposite direction my room is going in.

Can you afford bedding, curtains, paint, art, furniture (even if yard sale or flea market)?
Yea I should be able to
Describe yourself and your tastes a little bit - color and style preferences, etc.
Same answer as last time, I really wish I could answer this but I just don't have one.

Old 05-23-2013, 09:00 AM

9,196 posts, read 16,647,404 times
I think painting a lighter, more neutral color (I'm on the revere pewter bandwagon) and running the TV cords behind the wall will be a huge improvement.

Old 05-23-2013, 10:27 AM

About reaching the window: Most homes have a window over the sink in the kitchen, and the countertop is 25" yet the window is very reachable. I have that set up. I don't think reaching the window is a problem unless you unable to reach for a physical reason.

Desk shelf: How many inches is it from the bed to the window wall?

Over window shelf: This is for balance if you do the rest of the design, use it for smaller objects like things from your interests, hobbies, collections, etc. It doesn't need to be full up with stuff.

Lighting, can you put a dimmer switch on your ceiling fan? That is a good fix for not much money if you or your Dad knows how to install. But a rice paper wall sconce would be nice as well and save on floor space, do a google search on that, wall sconces battery operated
https://www.google.com/search?q=city...14%3B230%3B230

Colors. Now that you have your new bed in warm wood tones and the floor as well, a warm white would be good, but not very colorful. A blue grey would look nice too. Look at some of the lighter colors on this chip
Sherwin Williams Coupons - Sherwin Williams Paint Colors - House Paint Colors - Fundamentally Neutral Color Paints - Paint Chart, Swatch, Color Charts

Ceiling fan: It's very hard to give up something you need and is new, fine to keep it. And try to get a dimmer switch on it.

Last edited by Kayekaye; 05-23-2013 at 10:51 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating