Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2013, 10:19 AM

18,476 posts, read 31,648,692 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
Kathy my friend I have to disagree with you on this one (which is unusual you know).....I refused to live with something I don't like just because of resale - because at some distant date we may decide to sell. In the meantime, we live in the home, we don't plan to move (we are retired), and we prefer the counter space to 2 sinks (which we don't need).

When we moved into our home we changed all kinds of things - all the 4 vanities, all the toilets, all the flooring, the furnace, upgraded the air conditioning, all the appliances, hardware, most of the doorknobs, redid the screened in porch, re-landscaped the entire large yard (by ourselves), paint, some new windows and much more.

Potential buyers rarely like every single aspect of a home when they buy....and I seriously doubt that any buyer would look at our home with it's hundreds of wonderful features and think - "gosh if it only had dual sinks in the master bath, I would buy it." So I say - do the things to your home (within reason) that make you comfortable and suit your needs and taste and don't worry about resale.

I agree with you also, as I usually do.

I too would rather have the extra counter space as well. I like certain things out as well. I have one sink because that is all that can fit, as it is a building and those kinds of thing you just cannot change.

But think about logically, you have an upstairs with all the bedrooms and there is the regular full bathroom, then you have the master suite and there is also a full bathroom, so that makes a total of three sinks upstairs. Why the necessity for 2 sinks in one bathroom when the other bathroom is probably only down the hall?

I mean really, one spouse cannot use the bathroom down the hall, is that too much to do?
Does the couple always have to be in the bathroom in the same time? really???

In our apartment there is a rule, "when I'm in the bathroom, you are not"...LOL. love it.

Seriously, 2 sinks or not, I don't want anyone in the bathroom with me, not even if the door is open, get out!! LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2013, 11:36 AM

1,379 posts, read 3,921,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post

Potential buyers rarely like every single aspect of a home when they buy....and I seriously doubt that any buyer would look at our home with it's hundreds of wonderful features and think - "gosh if it only had dual sinks in the master bath, I would buy it."
Good point, and that echoes my experience with my last home sale, which was a newer home and only had a single vanity in the master bath. I suppose it ultimately depends on the house and the property, and given two identical homes for sale, it might be a relevant factor, but I can't see that happening (custom home, in this case).

In either case, thanks for all the feedback!

Old 07-08-2013, 11:58 AM

9,196 posts, read 16,649,426 times
Having only one sink in the master would instantly date the entire room.

Old 07-08-2013, 12:15 PM

1,379 posts, read 3,921,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
Having only one sink in the master would instantly date the entire room.
I think you're probably right that that is the "conventional wisdom", but I do think it depends on the house (the buyers of my house did not see it as a factor at all, and neither the four other buyers I had competing for the sale).

Old 07-08-2013, 12:18 PM

1,056 posts, read 1,738,793 times
Love having two sinks in my master, after having them it would be hard to go back to sharing one sink.

Old 07-08-2013, 01:41 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,403,413 times
Default Hey, remember the OP's question???

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_Paddler View Post
Is a dual vanity considered standard for a master bath these days, or is it generally acceptable to have single vanity in the master? Thanks.
See how NC_Paddler framed the question: "is it considered standard these days"

It is is pretty clear that some folks interpretted this as "is my resale dead if have a single sink" -- which is A DIFFERENT QUESTION -- for starters there is physical difference between have some antiquated single sink (which, even then, I know some retro afficindos would not just be OK with but might fall in love with...) and have the big counter tops associated with the double vanities. Additionally the OP did not really ask about resale, maybe they are just get started with a shopping list or back from a builder's spec home and are confused about some master baths not having a dual vanity / space for such an option.

Other folks have tossed around a whole bunch of other scenarios too. Some of these might even make for a nice poll -- "In a 'dream home' would you prefer: A) Dual Vanity /w twin sinks B) Extra Large Vanity with single sinks C) I'm retro, gimme a single sink and I am happy as can be D) Full dual master bath, I never want to see my partner brush their teeth or have to deal with all the wierd ointments they keep laying around E) Master suite? I want "Dual Master BEDROOMS" -- that darn CPAP machine keeps me up!

Old 07-08-2013, 02:25 PM

2,279 posts, read 4,745,597 times
I should probably mention that when I picture a master bath with dual sinks, I'm picturing one of those big master bathrooms where the toilet is off in its own little room, so you can brush your teeth while someone else uses the toilet and you're not watching them pee in the mirror.

Retrofitting or remodeling a vintage house to have this kind of bathroom is pretty near impossible, and I wouldn't expect to see this in an older house.

Old 07-08-2013, 02:46 PM

5,893 posts, read 12,814,818 times
I think any recent construction should have two sinks in the master bath, and I believe that most buyers would expect that. I live alone and have two sinks with one long vanity. There's more than enough room. I think it depends on the configuration of the bathroom and just how much stuff each person needs to keep there.

It's even nice, in my opinion, if a second bathroom could have two sinks. For those people with kids it makes it a lot easier to get them ready for bed or school, etc. if two can be brushing their teeth or getting ready at once.

Old 07-08-2013, 03:36 PM

22,594 posts, read 47,689,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotogGal View Post

It's even nice, in my opinion, if a second bathroom could have two sinks. For those people with kids it makes it a lot easier to get them ready for bed or school, etc. if two can be brushing their teeth or getting ready at once.
My kids never used the bathroom at the same time (once they were able to do things on their own)... and I don't think they were unusual in that aspect.

Old 07-08-2013, 04:45 PM

2,279 posts, read 4,745,597 times
Sometimes, it's not about using the sinks at the exact same time, but the fact that each person can have their preferred soap and other toiletry products close at hand, at their own sink. I wouldn't want my hypothetical husband to grab my dispenser of facial cleanser by accident, thinking it was his hand soap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating