Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2013, 02:14 PM

492 posts, read 638,399 times

Advertisements

I think that the curves between the tile and carpet scream 1980s. Replacing the floors would do the most to update the space. Florida tends to be humid. Often that means the carpets always feels damp, especially when it is near the pool. I'd go with travertine, slate, ceramic wood tile, or bamboo in the living room dining room and kitchen.

I agree with losing the stairs and weird oval sofit in the kitchen. Your color pallette looks like it would be very pleasing in that house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2013, 05:40 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,314,203 times
I like the house overall--sure some updating is nice. Get rid of the red carpets, put in wood or bamboo flooring, make a couple seating arrangements in the living space, stop trying to decorate a room around a tv, change out some colors on the walls. I like the stairway, it adds some character. It's not like it's taking up space.

It's a light and breezy house, decorate it as such and you will be much happier.

Old 07-09-2013, 08:23 PM

3,763 posts, read 5,861,321 times
The drapes are what are a big distraction to the big windows. As far as the stairs, you need to have a good plan to make it look like nothing was there before. You have got some great suggestions. This is a very nice house and adding some color will really bring out the best. Best of luck!!

Old 07-09-2013, 10:55 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,167,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Californianz View Post
Based on our own thoughts and the comments so far, we will start with -

Replace red carpet in family room with a sand tone
Remove valances/cornices
Remove stairs
Remove wallpaper
Replace fridge with counter depth
Replace kitchen pendant lights with cans
Remove mirrors on walls
Add walls to dining room, change to wood floors
Paint - add some subtle colors throughout, and remove baby poo orange.
Bring in large green plants

Probably not going to go all Miami Vice on the general motif or wall colors, but more like this -

Kids are grown and gone - we have a golden retriever - golf is the only main lifestyle - we're going for a warm, refined look - more classic and less trendy. Ultimately we want it to be able to show like a model home in the end - but one step at a time... We can't afford to do major demolition/construction - or not move in until it's done. If we could, we would be ripping out all the flooring, bathrooms, kitchen island soffit and art deco elements - starting over from scratch.

We never seem to stay in one place very long, (10 different houses in the last 15 years) so with that in mind - we're on a house flipping type of budget - not dropping $50K+ into it in personally preferred cosmetics which do not add hardly any resale value. Price per square foot in any given area doesn't change much, even if you line your walls with solid gold - that's just reality. In my experience, most "improvements" people do to their homes see way less than 50 cents on the dollar in actual return - especially on big ticket items like kitchen and baths. We saw a lot of other houses listed in this area that needed whole new kitchens, which made this one all the more attractive, mostly - except a few poor choices they made. Granite alone in a kitchen like this had to be crazy expensive!

Thanks to all for the input!
I like your colors. Very pretty!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating