Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2013, 09:53 AM

4,232 posts, read 6,910,410 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tipitop View Post
No offence but I work with pro architects and house flippers. You will not pull good look with frameless cabinet unless you are gifted pro. I installed over 100 kitchens and only 2 look cool in IKEA (juk) stile. One was designed by pro and other did a women that is pro in web page graphics. Must go work but will post a picture of crown for minimalist stile. And Yes crown look good at every room only if is size appropriate to ceiling high.
Crown CAN look good yes, but you do not "need" crown to look good in my opinion. I may not do interior design or architecture for a living but I do work with architects on a daily basis (I am in engineering/construction). I also enjoy doing it as a hobby and have lots of friends who are designers (some of which have been in some big magazines) as well. I think it comes down to taste though when it comes to frameless and crown etc.

I agree that it takes skill to make frameless and minimalist look good. You have to understand the aesthetic (which I am sure that you do personally).

I like crown in SOME kitchens for sure. Certain kitchens it adds a lot. However, at the same time, there are lots of kitchens where crown does not look good at all to me and actually detracts from the look. These are just my opinions and my personal style.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2013, 11:03 AM

2,417 posts, read 2,989,141 times
Why would anyone want that tiny gap between the ceiling and the cabinet? Too small to put anything there, too hard to reach to clean, just a place to collect dust or maybe hide love notes.

Old 07-25-2013, 11:15 AM

4,232 posts, read 6,910,410 times
Quote:

This is a good looking kitchen. A of countless that I installed. Never ever you can pool such good look with frameless Ikea (juk). What you call minimalist style is a chip ass stile. And as you can se it is dark red. White Ikea kitchen good looking. Give me a break.
I personally do not like the style of the kitchen in that picture. It reminds me of every HGTV suburban kitchen. It is OK and would look nice for someone who likes that more traditional look, but it is not for me at all and comes across rather boring based on my personal tastes. Just because you install a lot of a certain kitchen doesn't make it "better" or "good" and render another style "bad" or "cheap."

Minimalist does NOT have to be IKEA. There are very, very high-end kitchens out there that are minimalist and are in no-way cheap and instead very nicely done.

Now, please remember, I am NOT saying the kitchen that you posted a picture of is "bad", it is just *not my style* (and most people who are into something more modern would say the same thing). Someone who likes traditional kitchens might really like that. It is completely pointless to say you don't like a modern kitchen and then point to a traditional kitchen and say it is "better". It's comparing apples to oranges. BOTH styles can be nice, BOTH styles can be high-end but not everyone will enjoy both. You're arguing over personal aesthetic taste instead of function and not everyone will like the same style.

I do have to ask though, based on your posts, what country are you from?

Old 07-25-2013, 12:16 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,026,533 times
Quote:
No offence but I work with pro architects and house flippers. You will not pull good look with frameless cabinet unless you are gifted pro. I installed over 100 kitchens and only 2 look cool in IKEA (juk) stile. One was designed by pro and other did a women that is pro in web page graphics. Must go work but will post a picture of crown for minimalist stile. And Yes crown look good at every room only if is size appropriate to ceiling high.

This is a good looking kitchen. A of countless that I installed. Never ever you can pool such good look with frameless Ikea (juk). What you call minimalist style is a chip ass stile. And as you can se it is dark red. White Ikea kitchen good looking. Give me a break.
This is not a minimalist style though. It's straight up traditional and thus crown is appropriate. You speak of your taste level as if it's fact. The fact is that minimalist style does not warrant crown and there are very, very high quality cabinets in the Euro minimal style that are not just IKEA.

Old 07-25-2013, 12:42 PM

2,957 posts, read 5,905,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
This is not a minimalist style though. It's straight up traditional and thus crown is appropriate. You speak of your taste level as if it's fact. The fact is that minimalist style does not warrant crown and there are very, very high quality cabinets in the Euro minimal style that are not just IKEA.
You would think the term "minimalist" means nothing additional/ just for looks, which crown molding is.

BTW, I like the kitchen in the pic.

Old 07-25-2013, 03:04 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,496,591 times
Quote:
No offence but I work with pro architects and house flippers. You will not pull good look with frameless cabinet unless you are gifted pro. I installed over 100 kitchens and only 2 look cool in IKEA (juk) stile. One was designed by pro and other did a women that is pro in web page graphics. Must go work but will post a picture of crown for minimalist stile. And Yes crown look good at every room only if is size appropriate to ceiling high...

I think Ikea looks pretty good in the showroom (at least in terms of style). How it looks and performs in a real house - well I don't have a clue. FWIW - my last 3 kitchens have all had frameless white cabinets (the last 2 have been Poggenpohl). They were MDF too (it's a myth that MDF is only a low end material).

BTW - the thing I like best about frameless cabinets is that if they're properly fitted out with high end interiors - they can store a ton of stuff. Believe it or not - I have 4 sets of dishes - 3 sets of flatware - and I don't know how many pots and pans and other cooking stuff in my relatively small kitchen:

I like to cook - and like a compact/efficient/easy to clean cooking area. When I designed our kitchen (with the help of the sales person) - I got the kitchen I wanted. Robyn

Old 07-25-2013, 03:10 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,496,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blazerj View Post
You would think the term "minimalist" means nothing additional/ just for looks, which crown molding is.

BTW, I like the kitchen in the pic.
We put a full bull nose molding on the top of our cabinets (which matches the bull nose on the counters). Because the cabinets would have looked unfinished without them.

"Minimalist" doesn't mean doing nothing for looks IMO. It means that since you're not doing a lot - every little bit of looks counts . Robyn

Old 07-25-2013, 06:02 PM

752 posts, read 1,165,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
I think Ikea looks pretty good in the showroom (at least in terms of style). How it looks and performs in a real house - well I don't have a clue. FWIW - my last 3 kitchens have all had frameless white cabinets (the last 2 have been Poggenpohl). They were MDF too (it's a myth that MDF is only a low end material).

BTW - the thing I like best about frameless cabinets is that if they're properly fitted out with high end interiors - they can store a ton of stuff. Believe it or not - I have 4 sets of dishes - 3 sets of flatware - and I don't know how many pots and pans and other cooking stuff in my relatively small kitchen:

I like to cook - and like a compact/efficient/easy to clean cooking area. When I designed our kitchen (with the help of the sales person) - I got the kitchen I wanted. Robyn
To me that kitchen look like big hospital kitchen or tool room. That another kitchen at link at page 4 look much better.

Old 07-26-2013, 08:03 AM

752 posts, read 1,165,027 times
That kitchen at page 5 actually have a lot shape, in and out, and unusually wide drivers. Last a couple years when people call me to do estimate I se a lot that minimalist trim where it actually look chip. Minimalist mean no molding not shapeless. As trim can be to busy can be to empty to. People want like 1X6 casing all around and show some photos at same time in photo is actually 3/4 by 4" wide casing at sides and 1" by 5 1/2 header. Ikea kitchen look bad always and people by it only because is chipper. It is my 2c as I’m not pro designer.

Old 07-26-2013, 08:28 AM

11,011 posts, read 11,026,533 times
Quote:
That kitchen at page 5 actually have a lot shape, in and out, and unusually wide drivers. Last a couple years when people call me to do estimate I se a lot that minimalist trim where it actually look chip. Minimalist mean no molding not shapeless. As trim can be to busy can be to empty to. People want like 1X6 casing all around and show some photos at same time in photo is actually 3/4 by 4" wide casing at sides and 1" by 5 1/2 header. Ikea kitchen look bad always and people by it only because is chipper. It is my 2c as I’m not pro designer.
A kitchen is only as good as the designer. IKEA, Kraftmaid, Merillat, etc offer some low cost options to consumers. However, even a custom kitchen can look terrible with bad design. Thus, it's all in how a person uses those inexpensive cabinets. I've seen great looking kitchens and terrible ones using stock, custom, and semi-custom cabinetry. Your use of absolute qualifiers such as "all" or "never" is not something I am a fan of in general. At the end of the day, it's all about design.

For example, an IKEA kitchen design that was done well..

Picasa Web Albums - drue.chichi
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating