Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2013, 10:56 AM

584 posts, read 2,148,309 times

Advertisements

What are the most popular kitchen cabinet colors right now? I want mass appeal for anyone if I decide to move. Also, popular kitchen floor color?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2013, 11:33 AM

22,558 posts, read 47,614,734 times
Go with what you like.
Whatever is 'in' now will not be whenever you decide to move.

Old 07-15-2013, 12:11 PM

10,049 posts, read 18,056,896 times
I like harvest gold and avocado green myself. OP, you can't go wrong with those.

Old 07-15-2013, 01:35 PM

2,414 posts, read 2,985,263 times
I prefer orange and turquoise euro style and I can't wait until I can redo my kitchen like that! Some people still think dark brown (espresso) is popular and some say it's white. As far as I'm concerned, anything but oak and especially not pickled!

Old 07-15-2013, 03:39 PM

584 posts, read 2,148,309 times
I keep hearing the espresso vs white. Major difference between the two. So which of those two would I pick? Completely different looks there. I like either one myself too.

Old 07-15-2013, 04:53 PM

50,335 posts, read 63,906,560 times
I don't know the right answer, but my cupboards are an antiqued painted light butterscotch color, my counters are brown quartz, flecked with orange and other, my floor is a terra cotta tile and the walls are Martha Stewart Garden Shed. Appliances are black, white farmer's sink. It is not my doing, except for the wall color, but I can like it.
My biggest complaint is with the painted cupboards. In places where the cupboards come in contact with water, the paint is failing....something to think about when you choose cupboards.

Old 07-15-2013, 07:32 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,643,906 times
You asked for the most popular cabinet colors. Here they are. These ARE NOT my opinions so don't anyone post rebuttals or argue. And don't start posting dozens of pictures of white kitchens you find on google.

The following colors are listed as the best selling colors by the Kitchen Cabinet Manufacturers Assn. I will add my thoughts on them:

1. Espresso, shades of mocha, cappuccino, burnt lumber, charcoal. I group all these into the same color category. All the rage is dark dark dark dark, sometimes nearly black. For the most part people are choosing to put this color on maple. I do see this fad beginning to lose steam rather quickly

2. Brown, saddle, toffee, rye. I'll group these in shades of brown but a tad lighter then the best selling dark as dark can get fad. My opinion is the fact that lighter shades of browns are now the 2nd best selling color makes one think it may be the next popular choice

3. Cherry, mahogany, maroon, burgundy, chestnut, cinnamon. I group these into the cherry group. People are putting these colors on maple for the most part but those with a bigger budget are putting these colors onto cherry wood for a much richer warmer look. These choices were number 1 all through the early 2000s but dropped out to the current number 1. It is making a very strong come back. My job today was this very color.

4. Dove, canvas, biscotti, light tan. I group these in off white colors. While bright white or brilliant white remains the worst color as far as sales are concerned, these shades of off whites are making a comeback. Especially with glaze options.

You can just choose whatever you like and to hell with any current fads just as Pittchick said. The biggest thing when selling a home is not so much the color of the kitchen but rather it's functionality and newness. The average home buyer can't tell the difference between a cheap junk kitchen and a nice quality built Kraftmaid. ALL THEY SEE IS NEW NEW NEW!!! The color is not as important.

Remember this. The choice to buy or not to buy a home is solely the wife's. The husband has nothing to say about it. And the wife makes that choice based on the kitchen and bath. Period!! A modern newer kitchen and bath will sell a house any time any day any place. Consider the average homebuyer looks at over a hundred homes before they choose. And the vast majority of those homes have old painted wooden boxes for cabinets. A buyer will overlook that crap 100 times out of 100.

Old 07-15-2013, 07:56 PM

9,195 posts, read 16,634,851 times
Something like this is most popular based on design magazines and high-end model homes and renderings:

Old 07-15-2013, 08:34 PM

22,558 posts, read 47,614,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
You asked for the most popular cabinet colors. Here they are. These ARE NOT my opinions so don't anyone post rebuttals or argue. And don't start posting dozens of pictures of white kitchens you find on google.
Wow... that took less than 30 minutes!

Old 07-15-2013, 08:34 PM

9,195 posts, read 16,634,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Wow... that took less than 30 minutes!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating