Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2013, 11:48 AM

248 posts, read 862,585 times

Advertisements

Go with a kitchen designer. Do not go the Architect route.

I own a showroom and I have a kitchen designer that works for me. For the person that wants a design that is not connected to a sale we offer that and I'm sure other showrooms do as well.

Also as far as budgets go we always try to design to the budget.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2013, 03:58 PM

1,581 posts, read 3,854,187 times
I have taken some of the advice on here and contacted some designers. Its been disappointing so far. Everyone wants to help me pick out cabinets and finishes which is something I am very comfortable with doing myself ( I actually plan on using some of the original cabinets and supplementing with a few similar new cabinets, so there isn't a ton of decision making. Floors and counters are easy to coordinate and I already have narrowed down my backsplash tile choices to three.)

No one has been interested (so far) in helping me where I need the assistance-- determining and designing an entirely new lay out, figuring out if structural changes need to be made or if gas lines/plumbing needs moving, coming up with new configurations or ideas of how the overall kitchen will appear. Am I barking up the wrong tree?

Old 12-20-2013, 05:39 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
I have an idea, but I don't want the masses to utilize it. I'm sending you a private message.

Old 12-20-2013, 05:49 PM

4,676 posts, read 9,994,516 times
I worked for a design-build contractor.

We did more kitchen and bath renovations than building houses.

There are two ways to estimate: cost plus or time and materials.

N/C for design.

Most of the homes we worked on were 150 years old plus!

Renovating condos is different than sfh. You don't own what's behind the walls, under the floors....so there's not the design challenges we see in sfh....because there are things which cannot be changed in a condo.

Old 12-20-2013, 05:53 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,392,786 times
Default Some things to thing about...

Quote:
Originally Posted by confusedasusual View Post
I have taken some of the advice on here and contacted some designers. Its been disappointing so far. Everyone wants to help me pick out cabinets and finishes which is something I am very comfortable with doing myself ( I actually plan on using some of the original cabinets and supplementing with a few similar new cabinets, so there isn't a ton of decision making. Floors and counters are easy to coordinate and I already have narrowed down my backsplash tile choices to three.)

No one has been interested (so far) in helping me where I need the assistance-- determining and designing an entirely new lay out, figuring out if structural changes need to be made or if gas lines/plumbing needs moving, coming up with new configurations or ideas of how the overall kitchen will appear. Am I barking up the wrong tree?
If you have no experience with installing or re-using cabinetry I would caution that it iis RARELY cost effective to try this ESPECIALLY if you are likely to want / need a new layout. The fact is even VERY VERY VERY costly cabinetry is not easy to "rework" into a new configuration. The typical method of fastening cabinets to walls makes it unlikely that any arrangement other than how they were originally installed will be possible.

There is a high probabilty that if you THINK you will want to open up walls it will add THOUSANDS to the cost of the project becuase you will very likely need to relocate utilities AND perhaps add / change supports. If you are already worried that $20K is outrageously expensive you may be shocked at what happens when you start to factor in this other changes -- even if the wall is not load bearing the needed changes to flooring grows exponentially when walls come down, ditto to paint and other finishes...

Most designers will be have acccess to some kind of "graphical visualization" tools that take traditional blueprints and create a model that you can "walk through" on screen. This things will also, when fed with accurate dimensions, give code requirements for all the spacings, enable fairly accurate cost estimates and in general help you make a decision about what makes sense and what is too much of an expense to include.

Finally most experienced designers will be able to pull togerther all the various required info about electrical lines, plumbing and other utility needs in a format that will enable the tradespeople to accurate estimate what costs and time will be required. If they the designer is particularly deeply expereinced they can do layout that minimize any relocations as those things do add to time & expense. Of course there are also obvious situations that will be obvious "new island sink" is likely to cost thousands in relocated plumbing and if you need to cut into concrete floor in condo will almost certainly NOT be worth it...

Old 12-20-2013, 06:12 PM

1,581 posts, read 3,854,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
If you have no experience with installing or re-using cabinetry I would caution that it iis RARELY cost effective to try this ESPECIALLY if you are likely to want / need a new layout. The fact is even VERY VERY VERY costly cabinetry is not easy to "rework" into a new configuration. The typical method of fastening cabinets to walls makes it unlikely that any arrangement other than how they were originally installed will be possible.

There is a high probabilty that if you THINK you will want to open up walls it will add THOUSANDS to the cost of the project becuase you will very likely need to relocate utilities AND perhaps add / change supports. If you are already worried that $20K is outrageously expensive you may be shocked at what happens when you start to factor in this other changes -- even if the wall is not load bearing the needed changes to flooring grows exponentially when walls come down, ditto to paint and other finishes...

I don't think 20K is outrageous. I think its outrageous for a bathroom that is about 8x8 and does not need any plumbing moved, require anything custom to be built or any changes to layout. The cost quoted did not include a new bathtub (the one I want is about $1500.) All I want is new tile, a new tub and a new vanity. Period. I have everything picked out. The guy I talked to was way over the top, though he was a certified "kitchen and bath designer." He wanted to talk me out of what I already knew to try and make sales.

My kitchen is a bigger issue. Other units have very successfully reconfigured the original cabinets into different layouts. One of the units that is for sale now has done a very similar thing to what I want. I am trying to figure out who they used to do it. The cabinets are from the 1920s-- there is one large Hoosier style hutch that is built into the kitchen and I would keep just as is because its very functional and cool, as well as a wall of floor to ceiling cabinets that the other unit broke up and interspersed with new, similar looking cabinets. They put in a stone floor and finished with quartz counters. It looks lovely. I know it can be done, and done well.

Old 12-20-2013, 06:41 PM

10,048 posts, read 18,076,437 times
In the summer of 2009 I remodeled my kitchen (13' x 13'6"), two double-sink bathrooms (one 5'x12' and one 6'x10'), a hall (changed a very inefficient closet to built-in cabinets), one entire wall in a bedroom (changed from an inefficient closet plus odd alcove to a 12' wall of built-ins), and the alcove in the adjoining bedroom (added built-in cabinets) for way under $20k for all the cabinets & countertops and another maybe $15k for labor. I got a great deal on most of the labor as it was a work colleague and his son-in-law, but the materials were decent to very good quality -- not high-end as frankly the house wasn't high-end, just a regular ranch in a solid middle-class neighborhood, but not crap either!

I designed the kitchen myself using Kraftmaid spec books downloaded from their web site as .pdf's. Honestly, I thought it was really fun. I then took my design to my local Home Depot to get a cost estimate (they ended up being cheaper than any other company in my area, although YMMV of course).

I am too tired right now, but I will look for my records so I can give you more details. I am appalled at the estimates you got, especially for the bathroom!! That is totally nuts!

BTW we didn't need permits as we weren't changing anything structural (ie no load-bearing wall issues) -- we were just replacing like with like (eg cabinets with cabinets, sinks with sinks etc.). Where I live you don't need a permit for such things. THAT varies tremendously by location, though.

Old 12-20-2013, 06:45 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
Quote:
I totally disagree. My husband and I bought a full kitchen from Craig's List. Since I couldn't wait for my friend, who is an interior designer, to configure the layout, I used a free online kitchen design software and reworked the cabinets for my kitchen.

I am using all of the new cabinets except two---the corner cabinets. I need to buy two uppers---one for a space along the stovetop wall and one to create a hutch-look next to the refrigerator (with wall cabinets coming down to the counter). I'm considering reusing one of my old cabinets and refinishing/painting the cabinet and buying new door for it for one space. In the future, I may buy additional wall cabinets to install floor to ceiling along wall that is too narrow to accommodate base cabinets.

My point is that these cabinets were not previously configured the way I designed them for my kitchen. We already have half of the cabinets installed, and they look great. The OP is simply looking for a designer to pull it all together for her. It's definitely possible to rearrange and rework cabinets. Sure, you have to buy some additional cabinets, but it's not impossible or more costly than buying everything new.

Old 12-21-2013, 08:01 AM

799 posts, read 1,549,942 times
I am going to say go with an architect.

Kitchen and bath designers are hit or miss. An architecture firm that does remodels will probably be your best bet if you are wondering about the possibilities of your space. They can give you more insight into the structural needs of the space than a kitchen designer. In large cities, there are a variety of architectural services that can help. I disagree that an architect wouldn't do this type of work.

If you are unsure of what looks good together, a designer can help. It sounds as though you have a clear vision of the various aesthetic aspects of your spaces. You seem to need more technical guidance. An architect with good connections to a reliable contractor is your best bet.

Old 12-21-2013, 08:06 AM

799 posts, read 1,549,942 times
Quote:
Finally most experienced designers will be able to pull togerther all the various required info about electrical lines, plumbing and other utility needs in a format that will enable the tradespeople to accurate estimate what costs and time will be required. If they the designer is particularly deeply expereinced they can do layout that minimize any relocations as those things do add to time & expense. Of course there are also obvious situations that will be obvious "new island sink" is likely to cost thousands in relocated plumbing and if you need to cut into concrete floor in condo will almost certainly NOT be worth it...
I certainly have not found that to be the case.

I hired a very well regarded LA designer to do my condo. She had to bring on a 'construction liaison' to do what you described, and she has been in business for 25 years. She picked out some fabulous drapes but had no idea what would be happening with my electrical. I think people should educate themselves about what a "designer" does and how it is different than a contractor or an architect. They are not one and the same.

OP, if you have a flair for design, you can probably do that part yourself, or hire an architect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating