Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2013, 05:59 PM

533 posts, read 1,112,843 times

Advertisements

My bedroom in my apartment so far looks almost exactly like the picture below, except I have a white quilt so the turquoise + blue printed duvet/comforter is folded at the end. And my nightstand/side table is actually an antique white sewing table, so it's a little bigger than the one in this picture (and there's no decor on top of it yet).

My concept is Santorini, Greece so I picked that bedding because of the colors and the lines. With the white quilt it really does remind of Santorini (plus the sheets have a geometric trim similar to a Greek key).

Anyway, I wanted to incorporate a piece of artwork but I have no idea where to put it because it's more of a vertical piece, so it wouldn't look good above my bed. What I'm thinking of right now is something very similar to the image below, I just have NO idea where to put it. Maybe above the sewing desk beside my bed?

Any thoughts? Also, I don't have a bed skirt yet. Should I get turquoise like the picture? I'm kind of leaning towards white right now because the quilt I have is white.

I also need to add knobs to my antique sewing table. Does anyone have any opinions/thoughts about that?

Last edited by ggumbo; 12-26-2013 at 06:32 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2013, 06:09 PM

Also, my sewing desk that I use as a night stand/side table for my bed looks almost just like this (except it has holes for knobs and a simple curvilinear fretwork on the drawers). I keep it folded though so it's pretty small. I was thinking about gold knobs or turquoise. Not sure yet. But other than my bed, this is the only furniture I have in my room so far.

Old 12-26-2013, 06:37 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,179,420 times
It is a little hard to say without a floor plan, but I'd recommend hanging it so that you can see it when you wake up in the morning. So, hanging it across from the bed would be a good plan.

In fact, the two best places to hang art in a bedroom are over the bed or across from it. Of course rooms are different, and sometimes the "best" way isn't possible.

Old 12-26-2013, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
It is a little hard to say without a floor plan, but I'd recommend hanging it so that you can see it when you wake up in the morning. So, hanging it across from the bed would be a good plan.

In fact, the two best places to hang art in a bedroom are over the bed or across from it. Of course rooms are different, and sometimes the "best" way isn't possible.

Yeah, I'll try to post a floor plan here in a little bit!

Old 12-26-2013, 06:51 PM

This is a caveman version of my floorplan. I keep my dresser in my walk in closet because I like having lots of floorspace for working out in my room. I'm also thinking about getting a coordinating chair and maybe a bookcase to create a sitting area. I don't have a television in my room. so the wall on the left is bare. Oh, and the curtains are white with a turquoise greek key trim to match the similar trim on the sheets.

Old 12-27-2013, 01:38 AM

6,191 posts, read 7,361,153 times
I have my print across from my bed---I like to be able to look at it. I also don't have anything above my bed b/c I have a decently-sized headboard and I do not have particularly high ceilings.

Do you have space on the wall opposite your bed? Or is it just pretty much an empty wall right now?

Old 12-27-2013, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by city living View Post
I have my print across from my bed---I like to be able to look at it. I also don't have anything above my bed b/c I have a decently-sized headboard and I do not have particularly high ceilings.

Do you have space on the wall opposite your bed? Or is it just pretty much an empty wall right now?
The space on the wall opposite of my bed is completely empty. The walls in my room are bare and I have no accessories. Any suggestions are welcome!

I'm always pretty good about putting together a floor plan and following through with concepts when it comes to furniture and textiles in a room, but I'm really bad about picking out things like lamps and artwork. I procrastinate because for me that's the most difficult part, lol.

Old 12-27-2013, 06:59 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,083,010 times
I'd hang it directly across from the entrance, on the wall to the right of the bed when you're looking at the bed. That way you can see it from the hallway and when you enter the room. Find something else for the wall across from the bed. That painting should be somewhere it can be viewed at the same time as the bedding because they look so nice together.

Old 12-27-2013, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I'd hang it directly across from the entrance, on the wall to the right of the bed when you're looking at the bed. That way you can see it from the hallway and when you enter the room. Find something else for the wall across from the bed. That painting should be somewhere it can be viewed at the same time as the bedding because they look so nice together.
I really like that idea! Thank you!

For the wall across the bed I think I'd like a more horizontally formatted painting, and maybe something that incorporates more colors? I found this one online, I probably can't afford it (lol) but maybe something that looks similar or has similar colors? I'm not sure if they pink/purple totally clashes though?

Old 12-27-2013, 08:06 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,083,010 times
That's pretty. I agree that a horizontal painting would be best for across the bed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating