Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2013, 07:33 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
I like black too which is why I didn't really fight my wife on it in the first place. Really, black, white and stainless are here to stay. One may not be the it choice at any given time, but they're not going completely out of style like harvest gold or avocado.

I don't think it looks too bad with the mix right now anyway due to the black glass on the range and microwave so no reason to change everything just yet, but I'm sure some people would think it's ugly, especially someone from HGTV.
I think the mix is fine since the stove has the black glass. Sometimes it's better to not be too matchy, matchy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2013, 03:02 PM

3,158 posts, read 4,591,937 times
We have a Butcher Block Island and love it...

Old 01-01-2014, 09:10 PM

4,899 posts, read 6,227,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I've cleaned many types of appliances. Stainless and black require too much upkeep. That's why I'm going with white. It's the easiest.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
I like black too which is why I didn't really fight my wife on it in the first place. Really, black, white and stainless are here to stay. One may not be the it choice at any given time, but they're not going completely out of style like harvest gold or avocado.

I don't think it looks too bad with the mix right now anyway due to the black glass on the range and microwave so no reason to change everything just yet, but I'm sure some people would think it's ugly, especially someone from HGTV.
Thought I'd post these links. If someone asked me 20 years ago that aqua would make a comeback
I'd say no way but fashion and interior design has a funny way of making a comeback from previous decades.

http://static.squarespace.com/static...39.42%20PM.png

http://static.squarespace.com/static...31.40%20PM.png

Exclusive: Big Chill introduces the new "Retropolitan" refrigerator w/bottom freezer - Retro Renovation

Old 01-01-2014, 10:15 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
Those would be appropriate and fun in a retro or modern kitchen. I can't commit to a vibrant color for 20 years.

Old 01-02-2014, 12:13 AM

8,869 posts, read 16,321,693 times
I have a moveable island from IKEA with a butcher block top that I've had in three different houses for more than 15 years and it's still in excellent condition. Might be my most practical purchase ever.

Old 01-02-2014, 06:20 AM

9,145 posts, read 14,768,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baileyvpotter View Post
Thought I'd post these links. If someone asked me 20 years ago that aqua would make a comeback
I'd say no way but fashion and interior design has a funny way of making a comeback from previous decades.

http://static.squarespace.com/static...39.42%20PM.png

http://static.squarespace.com/static...31.40%20PM.png

Exclusive: Big Chill introduces the new "Retropolitan" refrigerator w/bottom freezer - Retro Renovation

Those first two pictures are of a wrap product. If it were not too terrible to remove, that might be a decent solution as it can be changed in a few years or if the house is sold. Get something like white or stainless as a base metal and you would be covered.

If you look, there are definitely a ton of colors available now on some appliances, but its still a fringe thing and very much a particular taste. Look at the colors Viking offers on one of theirs now. And, the way they do it, with just the door and the skirt actually colored, I wonder if it might not be able to be changed down the road. 30"W. Sealed Burner Dual Fuel Range (VDSC) in 12 Exclusive Finishes - Viking Range, LLC

Old 01-02-2014, 09:37 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,750,169 times
We have ikea butcher block countertops in our kitchen. I like the look of them. They do require a little extra precaution and extra care. If you are a really neat, clean and tidy person, they will be easy to maintain. If you are a bit messy like me, they will be ok to maintain. If you are very messy and don't like to do maintenance, you will hate them. If you like things, "perfect" you will also hate them because they don't stay perfect.

We oiled ours with a mix of beeswax and mineral oil. It worked well but you definitely need to oil them regularly to keep them up. It's not a once a year thing, at least not with the ikea butcher block. Steam can damage them, as can water and just heat in general. If you put one over a dishwasher, be sure to add something below to protect it. Also, be careful about boiling water. We had a pot that boiled over and damaged the counter next to the stovetop. You cannot tell by looking at it, but the wood is rougher there. They can stain but you can always sand down the stain and re oil. Not a big deal. I have been thinking about using Waterlox to get added protection but I don't have experience with it yet.

I love how they look and they are a very inexpensive options. I think that they would be best away from sink and stove. At some point I will probably replace the areas around the sink and stove with something more durable and keep butcher block everywhere else but for now, I like them and have no regrets about going with them.

Old 01-02-2014, 12:55 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,750,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by confusedasusual View Post
Wow-- I hadn't really thought about butcher block, but it may work for me. I have a built in Hoosier style hutch in my kitchen with a wood counter that I am going to keep when I renovate-- its just so cool. Maybe butcher block would work. Some of these are beautiful.

But what about resale? Do you think that people might find butcher block odd? Everything I see is granite granite granite.
I saw your other thread and I think butcher block would look great in your kitchen. It really goes with your cabinets and your built in hutch.

I think that a lot of people find it to be an attractive option so I would not be too concerned about having butcher block counters in a house that is for sale. Even with granite you could go wrong as different people have different tastes.

Old 01-03-2014, 08:36 PM

3,763 posts, read 5,861,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I'm going to hire a carpenter cut a beveled edge for the sink. The woman who posted this picture said it was the best $170 she ever spent. Isn't it gorgeous?
I am sorry! That looks VERY high maintanence and the thought of having water next to wood gives me shivers. Unless you have a maid following you around, NO THANKS! JMHO

Old 01-07-2014, 10:03 PM

253 posts, read 470,441 times
I agree with your assessment, Miss Terri! We put IKEA butcher block in our kitchen - well, DH actually did it. I used the oil they recommended and they are now 2 years old. I have been very pleased but we try to keep them nice and clean and don't put wet glasses/cups on them and no cutting on them. Our cabinets are bright white with silvery colored handles and it looks nice together. We used IKEA for the cost only - we will be selling our house this year and needed something nice but not pricey like the "great" stuff that I want in my new house!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
We have ikea butcher block countertops in our kitchen. I like the look of them. They do require a little extra precaution and extra care. If you are a really neat, clean and tidy person, they will be easy to maintain. If you are a bit messy like me, they will be ok to maintain. If you are very messy and don't like to do maintenance, you will hate them. If you like things, "perfect" you will also hate them because they don't stay perfect.

We oiled ours with a mix of beeswax and mineral oil. It worked well but you definitely need to oil them regularly to keep them up. It's not a once a year thing, at least not with the ikea butcher block. Steam can damage them, as can water and just heat in general. If you put one over a dishwasher, be sure to add something below to protect it. Also, be careful about boiling water. We had a pot that boiled over and damaged the counter next to the stovetop. You cannot tell by looking at it, but the wood is rougher there. They can stain but you can always sand down the stain and re oil. Not a big deal. I have been thinking about using Waterlox to get added protection but I don't have experience with it yet.

I love how they look and they are a very inexpensive options. I think that they would be best away from sink and stove. At some point I will probably replace the areas around the sink and stove with something more durable and keep butcher block everywhere else but for now, I like them and have no regrets about going with them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating