Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2014, 12:49 PM

786 posts, read 1,593,852 times

Advertisements

I agree with hardwood floors, carpet can never be cleaned, it collects allergens, dust mites, bacteria, fungus and heaven forbid you have indoor pets. Steam cleaning carpet just allows moisture to collect and cause mold to grow. You can start with the master bedroom, it's comparable in cost to getting and having new carpet installed. Our entire house except for the kitchen was carpeted when we bought it 20 years ago, as we remodeled room by room over the years we got rid of all the carpet [and drapes] and put down hardwood and framed out the windows with nice moulding and sills, we have never regretted it and it makes a huge difference in the air quality and general scent of your home, and because we have pets, it so easy to keep clean. I know some people love carpet but I can't for the life of me figure that out. Yes it absorbs sound and is soft and not as cold on your bare feet but . . . Good luck with your carpet, sounds like that's what you're going to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2014, 09:09 PM

4,676 posts, read 9,994,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
No, you don't. It's not against the law to have different carpeting in different rooms.
Ditto.

On my second floor - the hall is hardwood... antique chestnut... the MBR carpeting is dark taupe, br#2 sandstone, #3 is chocolate, #4 a very small room has vintage linoleum in beautiful condition in shades of peacock blues and greens.

Old 05-30-2014, 06:59 AM

1,057 posts, read 2,420,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jons_wifey View Post
Kids will ALWAYS be CURIOUS....and she is one very curious toddler, if i cook, and she might be bored she'll hunt for something to play with, be it pens, or food, anything. And she'll play in the MBR. There were times where the door was LOCKED, but she will find something to put into the keyhole to unlock the door.
Yes, kids are curious but that doesn't mean they have to walk/crawl around destroying things. How old is your child? I have a 4 year old and the carpet in my bedroom doesn't even have a stain, why? Because she never goes on the MBR with toys, food, drinks, ect. Actually, that room probably had the cleaner carpet in the house because of having less traffic. Yes I did have stains in the living room at some point when drinks were spilled ect, but nothing permanent and I don't allow my kid to roam freely with food, markers all over the place. We have rules, where if she's eating, she has to sit in the dining room, If she coloring, she has to sit where her crafts are, away from walls and carpets. I'm sorry but if your infant is destroying your carpet, it's your fault, not the child's fault. If he/she is too young to understand rules, it's your responsibility to keep her safe, I-e if you're cooking, bring a high chair with you in the kitchen, have her sit there with toys or coloring books. Keep things away from her/his reach, she can't destroy the carpet if she doesn't have access to whatever it is she is using . Finally, id agree that hardwood might work best in your situation :-) Good luck

Old 05-30-2014, 11:12 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by judd2401 View Post
I agree with hardwood floors, carpet can never be cleaned, it collects allergens, dust mites, bacteria, fungus and heaven forbid you have indoor pets. Steam cleaning carpet just allows moisture to collect and cause mold to grow. You can start with the master bedroom, it's comparable in cost to getting and having new carpet installed. Our entire house except for the kitchen was carpeted when we bought it 20 years ago, as we remodeled room by room over the years we got rid of all the carpet [and drapes] and put down hardwood and framed out the windows with nice moulding and sills, we have never regretted it and it makes a huge difference in the air quality and general scent of your home, and because we have pets, it so easy to keep clean. I know some people love carpet but I can't for the life of me figure that out. Yes it absorbs sound and is soft and not as cold on your bare feet but . . . Good luck with your carpet, sounds like that's what you're going to do.
People don't sometimes realize that engineered hardwoods are often about the same price as mid to upper end (not the most expensive, but not cheap) carpet.

I have 1400 feet downstairs that is being converted to hardwoods - and about 100 feet between the stairway and the upstairs guest rooms that will be carpeted, in my new house that we're renovating. The carpeting is going to cost nearly what the hardwoods are costing per square foot! I was shocked. I mean, we're going a bit high end (oriental carpeting) for the stairway since it's in the foyer basically, but still. My jaw nearly hit the floor when I started comparing prices. I nearly switched over to hardwoods in the upstairs bedrooms! But I didn't want to hear clicking and creaking around coming from upstairs when people walked around.

Old 05-31-2014, 02:53 PM

5,853 posts, read 5,283,360 times
I love hardwood flooring, too. However, I don't like to step on the floor when getting out of bed-so a little throw rug is all I need. In our vacation home in Puerto Rico, I just have a little bathroom mat right beside the bed. That is all it takes for me to be happy. May do that again, in this house.

Cat

Old 06-01-2014, 01:51 AM

5,624 posts, read 6,846,119 times
Hardwood all the way here. There will be carpet in the MBR at our new house and its the first thing im going to rip up!

Old 06-01-2014, 07:14 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times
We're in the middle of a major renovation of the house we just bought, and are in the process of installing hardwoods nearly completely throughout the house. The old floors are being ripped up and they should start laying the hardwoods Monday (including in the master bedroom). WOOOHOOOOOO!

Old 06-02-2014, 12:06 PM

335 posts, read 620,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jons_wifey View Post
we have ceramic tiles in the hallway. our infant likes to make mess, spill things on the carpet etc...numerous stains that the even the professional can't get out. So what you are saying is...leave the carpet as is? with all the stains and what not?

No I can't put 'anything' in the MBR because then it will look the odd one out compared to all the other rooms int he house that have the same type/style/color carpet....
Two things I'd like to chime in on here.

- Regarding your child making a mess on the carpeting. The previous owners of this house had little kids that apparently could not be trusted (crayon over everything, toys in the fireplace ), so they installed latches up high on all the doors in the house. If you really want to keep your kid out of your bedroom, you can. (Of course now we are left to deal with all the holes in the doors when we took them out, but that's another story.)

- In our two story house, the entire first floor is travertine. The second floor is entirely carpet, except for the bathrooms, which are tile. The carpet on the second floor is a tan color for every room except the bonus room/my office, which is a dark brown. It doesn't look like "the odd one out"' in the least bit. There's no metal threshold/transition from the tan hallway carpet to the dark brown carpet in this room, it just goes from one color to another and it looks fine.

While I might not be an interior designer, I'm a graphic designer, and believe me, if it looked ridiculous, I would have ripped it up by now.

You can absolutely use a different color/kind of carpet in your master bedroom, and it will look fine. And add a latch up high to your bedroom door to keep your child off the new carpet until you are willing to teach her boundaries.

Old 06-12-2014, 08:42 AM

1,806 posts, read 1,737,946 times
Replace it with hardwood. Use a rug if you want carpet in there. Your sleeping space won't be a disgusting dust mite filled environment then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating