Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2014, 08:26 AM

6,301 posts, read 9,647,821 times

Advertisements

The track lighting fixture is out of place with the country style of the kitchen. At some point when you have a budget to do so i would replace it with some kind of beam with recessed lighting.

I don't love the island with the spindles and would have gone with a more substantial island or none at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2014, 10:11 AM

11,181 posts, read 10,534,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnlyWhnChasd View Post
I In person the track light has sort of an industrial feel which I like, but I think it is one of those things that is either a love/hate for people given the style of the kitchen.
I love it, it adds an hip, eclectic vibe that brings the farmhouse look down a few notches.

Old 09-21-2014, 10:17 AM

3,158 posts, read 4,591,937 times
OnlyWhnChasd~ Pay no mind to what others think, it's your home , your taste enjoy it! I love it! Thanks for shearing your project~

Old 09-21-2014, 02:54 PM

1,166 posts, read 1,380,880 times
Quote:
We actually had all the flooring refinished to get rid of the orange and make sure the new floor in the kitchen matched the old floor. We had them done with an oil modified water base so that they would stay the color they are now and not get orange again since I hated color!
Well that explains it! I thought it might have just been the lighting/camera but either way, it looks lovely now.

Old 09-21-2014, 08:05 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Hey, OP - that looks FABULOUS. I remember your original thread. Whoduthunk it would turn out so wonderfully?

Old 09-21-2014, 08:15 PM

7,136 posts, read 12,675,732 times
What a great transformation! The only thing I'd change is the track lighting. It just doesn't seem to match the rest of the room, but if you like it, it's fine.

Old 09-22-2014, 05:14 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,161,541 times
Your new kitchen really looks great. You did a great job. And you added value to the home. Take a bow.

Old 09-22-2014, 08:26 PM

97 posts, read 162,649 times
Looks good! I love the table!

Old 09-23-2014, 10:54 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,159,824 times
Quote:
I'd posted this thread awhile back looking for advice about how to handle the flooring transition in our kitchen remodel. I love seeing other people's before and after pictures, so I thought I'd follow up now that the remodel is finally done.

Rather than tile, we ended up running the same type/width of hardwood through from the dining area to the kitchen, though we did have to use a turn board between the two sections rather than interlace. We refinished all the flooring to match, so now even though the hardwood in the living area is narrower, it just blends and you don't notice it.

We were on a tight budget and I love the end results. Certainly a far cry from where we started!

Did you build the wooden archway between the kitchen and living room? I just love that!

Old 09-23-2014, 04:04 PM

324 posts, read 837,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
I love it, it adds an hip, eclectic vibe that brings the farmhouse look down a few notches.
Thank you! That was sort of the point--it's not supposed to blend with the farm/cottage look. It's supposed to add an edge; a little something unexpected. But like I said before, it's one of those things you will either love or hate. Fortunately, it's my house and I love it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
Did you build the wooden archway between the kitchen and living room? I just love that!
The archway was actually sort of a "contractor freebie." Originally we were just going to remove the wall and then drywall and case the opening, but then rumblings (or grumblings) started over how hard it was going to be to drywall over the massive header (3 LVLs sandwiched together). So we started thinking about facing it, but we weren't sure we had the budget. Then the contractor damaged our washer/dryer when doing some work in the basement so they offered to do the oak casing for free. I think they were actually relieved not to have to try and drywall it (and after seeing their drywall work in other parts of the house, we were relieved too). We then had the guys that refinished our floor come in and stain it. They do a lot of work with historic properties and while you can't tell in the pics, they used a multistage process of staining, sanding, staining to give it a nice aged look. I love that it made the opening seem more intentional and really made it a focal point. It's like a nice piece of furniture!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating