Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-10-2014, 07:29 AM

6,032 posts, read 9,208,988 times

Advertisements

Just picked up and moved into a new place so it is time to start doing some projects here and there...

58 inch back wall and 29 inch side wall in a walk in closet

Doesn't look like the closet was ever improved as it had some wood nailed into the studs with an old metal hanging rod.

Materials - Martha Stewart closet ordered through Home Depot, Sherwin Williams gateway grey paint, valspar semi gloss white trim & valspar ceiling paint

Costs - around $400.00 for the closet system, plus paint, and misc supplies

Total time in project -

Measuring out planning- 1 hour
Paint- 3-4 hours
Assembly - 3-4 hours *The learning curve on assembly is immensely improved after doing this once. I will probably be able to the do next closet ALOT quicker.
Attached Thumbnails
Odd shaped walk in closet re-do project-plan-1.jpg   Odd shaped walk in closet re-do project-plan-2.jpg   Odd shaped walk in closet re-do project-before-1.jpg   Odd shaped walk in closet re-do project-painted-out.jpg   Odd shaped walk in closet re-do project-back-wall.jpg  

Odd shaped walk in closet re-do project-done-1.jpg   Odd shaped walk in closet re-do project-done-2.jpg  
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2014, 11:41 AM

24,204 posts, read 19,196,880 times
Looks nice! How does the smaller section affect the accessibility of the hanging items in the corner of the larger section?

I just worked out a plan using the Ikea Pax closet system and plan to spring for the specialized corner unit to make sure that space is fully accessible.

Old 11-11-2014, 05:34 AM

^ Space is pretty good. Enough room to fully extend the drawers and retrieve and stack on the shelves.

Old 11-11-2014, 06:23 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,102,621 times
IMO, while nice Martha Stewart stuff is a bit pricy. You could have essentially done the same thing with a wire shelf system from lowes or HD. Not the same look, for sure and again this is just me, but I would rather spend that $$ where it will be seen.

Old 11-11-2014, 08:03 AM

24,204 posts, read 19,196,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
IMO, while nice Martha Stewart stuff is a bit pricy. You could have essentially done the same thing with a wire shelf system from lowes or HD. Not the same look, for sure and again this is just me, but I would rather spend that $$ where it will be seen.
Wire shelving leaves marks on your clothes if you are using shelves to store folded clothing. And I personally think a real rod works much better than those skinny bars on the wire shelving. So yeah, there is some similarity to the basic functionality. But like many things, when you pay a bit more, you get some nicer features in return.

I personally feel that I'm the most important person in my house, so I spend the money on the things that matter to me, whether others see it or not.

Old 11-11-2014, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post

The closet system in total with all accessories was around $380.00. I don't know what you consider pricey, but I am what some people call a frugal man and would say that this system was a bargain for what you get.

A wire shelf system is not a custom closet and that is contractor grade looking stuff. We wanted something that looked nice and functioned well for a decent price.

Old 11-11-2014, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suncc49 View Post
The closet system in total with all accessories was around $380.00. I don't know what you consider pricey, but I am what some people call a frugal man and would say that this system was a bargain for what you get.

A wire shelf system is not a custom closet and that is contractor grade looking stuff. We wanted something that looked nice and functioned well for a decent price.
You are happy and that is what matters. You did not mention a "custom" closet in your original post and again, just my opinion, but I hardly consider a MS closet, custom. Had you suggested that you were looking for a custom closet I would not have suggested a wire shelf unit either.

Old 11-11-2014, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Wire shelving leaves marks on your clothes if you are using shelves to store folded clothing. And I personally think a real rod works much better than those skinny bars on the wire shelving. So yeah, there is some similarity to the basic functionality. But like many things, when you pay a bit more, you get some nicer features in return.

I personally feel that I'm the most important person in my house, so I spend the money on the things that matter to me, whether others see it or not.
Again, I only hang things in my closet and therefore see no difference. I have a wire shelf unit in my closet and it came with the house. On the shelves sit plastic totes that hold out of season clothing and pocketbooks. You can buy the drawers for the wires units too. Just like MS. If I am going for a custom closet or even a custom closet look, for me, MS is not cutting it. As I said in the original post THIS IS JUST ME.
How you spend your $$ is your business and there is no need to justify it to anyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating