Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2014, 11:02 AM

18,480 posts, read 15,269,062 times

Advertisements

This room was just thrown together with stuff I had no other place for. I'm no decorator, but I think it works for me. I just think it can use a chandelier and an area rug. The ceiling is 10 feet high, but the room is small 13X13. I have been looking online at chandeliers, but there are so many, and I have no idea what would work here. My favorite one so far looked like a classic country french, wooden chandelier inside a bird cage, but like I said, I'm no decorator. Do any of you guys have any ideas?
Attached Thumbnails
Chandelier for a parlor...-unnamed.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2014, 04:53 PM

50,388 posts, read 64,062,004 times
The room is very pretty, I agree, an area rug and a chandelier would be lovely. Your room dimensions indicate your chandelier should be about 26" in diameter.
I would look for a rug at Overstock.com, Homedecorators.com, in red and tan. I think your birdcage chandelier idea would look good, so would black wrought iron. Pottery Barn or Ballard would be a good place to look.

Old 11-10-2014, 06:45 AM

67,650 posts, read 61,020,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
The room is very pretty, I agree, an area rug and a chandelier would be lovely. Your room dimensions indicate your chandelier should be about 26" in diameter.
I would look for a rug at Overstock.com, Homedecorators.com, in red and tan. I think your birdcage chandelier idea would look good, so would black wrought iron. Pottery Barn or Ballard would be a good place to look.
I agree and would add that your artwork on the walls should be larger. Coordinate art and throw pillows with whatever rug you buy.

It's a beautiful room - it should look stunning when you're done! Post pictures!

Old 11-10-2014, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Thanks! I will check them out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I agree and would add that your artwork on the walls should be larger. Coordinate art and throw pillows with whatever rug you buy.

It's a beautiful room - it should look stunning when you're done! Post pictures!
Thank you. Yes, the artwork is the wrong size for the room. As I said, I just threw stuff in there that I had sitting around for the time being. Artwork isn't usually something I "shop" for. I have to come across it and when it stops me in my tracks, I buy it.

Old 11-11-2014, 04:59 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,194,837 times
I agree that you should splurge on a really nice piece of art, and move the small thing elsewhere. And then I'd buy a beautiful lamp for that lonesome end table before buying a chandelier. Overall, your room is warm and inviting. Try adding a cool color in there for accent. Incorporate cooler and related warmer tones into a rug you buy. I think I'd buy the chandelier last, after you have added the other things. Searching for light fixtures is hard. The things you mentioned sound fine to me. I think you obviously want something on the traditional side. In my experience, if you look long enough, you will find the exact thing that looks the best.

I am really missing a table lamp in your room though.

Old 11-11-2014, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
I agree that you should splurge on a really nice piece of art, and move the small thing elsewhere. And then I'd buy a beautiful lamp for that lonesome end table before buying a chandelier. Overall, your room is warm and inviting. Try adding a cool color in there for accent. Incorporate cooler and related warmer tones into a rug you buy. I think I'd buy the chandelier last, after you have added the other things. Searching for light fixtures is hard. The things you mentioned sound fine to me. I think you obviously want something on the traditional side. In my experience, if you look long enough, you will find the exact thing that looks the best.

I am really missing a table lamp in your room though.
Yes, I definitely need a lamp there. I figured I would get something that goes well with whatever chandelier I bought but I suppose I could buy the lamp first. If it doesn't work, I can always move it to another room and replace it.

As to the rug, I have been looking at lots of pics on overstock.com. Do you guys find that the color in the pictures are true to the colors of the actual rugs?

Old 11-12-2014, 05:47 PM

50,388 posts, read 64,062,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
Yes, I definitely need a lamp there. I figured I would get something that goes well with whatever chandelier I bought but I suppose I could buy the lamp first. If it doesn't work, I can always move it to another room and replace it.

As to the rug, I have been looking at lots of pics on overstock.com. Do you guys find that the color in the pictures are true to the colors of the actual rugs?
What I do when buying a rug is to order the smallest size to get a better idea how it will look, and if I need to return it isn't a big deal. Many catalogs offer swatches too.

Old 11-12-2014, 09:29 PM

I chose the lighting. The lighting place had an in house decorator and she talked me into a different chandelier instead of the bird cage, in spite of the bird cage being considerably more expensive. She picked out a lamp that I am happy with as well. The electrician is coming Saturday to install, so I still have a few days to change my mind. Here is a couple of pics, along with a pic of the lamp and the room with the lamp on the table.

Thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails
Chandelier for a parlor...-img_3488.jpg   Chandelier for a parlor...-img_3489.jpg   Chandelier for a parlor...-img_3498-2.jpg   Chandelier for a parlor...-img_3491.jpg  

Old 11-12-2014, 09:37 PM

13,058 posts, read 18,141,425 times
I personally think it is too ornate for the French countryish look of your room. I also think the lamp while in and of itself I like the lamp, to me it seems too small in scale.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating