Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2015, 06:24 PM

1,163 posts, read 2,100,190 times

Advertisements

I didn't plan as well as I thought I did, and I have run into a situation where I need to re-attach the original baseboard (my lady won't have it any other way) but also need to add baseboard to the window bench I am
trying to finish. The wall baseboard is 7-1/4" and the baseboard around the bench will be 4".

Is there a good way to join these two without making it look weird? Or will running the tall one into the bench and having the 4" moulding run into the wall look okay? Anyone have examples of this I can see to ease my fear?

See below photo:

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2015, 08:56 PM

4,676 posts, read 9,992,988 times
Is the window seat attached to the wall?

Old 01-20-2015, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocngypz View Post
Is the window seat attached to the wall?
Yes it is.

Old 01-20-2015, 10:31 PM

Location: When things get hot they expand. Im not fat. Im hot.
2,521 posts, read 6,327,828 times
Im into old houses. Lots of built in stuff in old houses. When something like a cupboard is permanently attached to a wall they usually do one of two things. One cut and remove the baseboard so the cupboard will fit against the wall. Two leave the baseboard alone and scribe the base of the cupboard to fit around the profile of the baseboard. The rule seems to be the better piece gets to stay whole. You wouldnt cut into fancy baseboards for a $20 cupboard. On the other hand you wouldnt cut into a period cupboard for stock baseboards.

JMO but those dont look like real spiffy baseboards and scribing is a PITA so I would cut the baseboard and siddle that window seat up to the wall. Just in case you might want to move it some day I would mark the cut baseboard and stick it someplace. I would mark the location on the back of the window seat since I never can remember where I put stuff.

Old 01-20-2015, 11:11 PM

Pity.

You're going to have to scribe the larger baseboard if she wants both those baseboards.

Personally, I wouldn't put a 4 inch baseboard on the window seat. I'd just finish it off with quarter-round and butt it against the 7 inch baseboard.

Old 01-21-2015, 09:05 AM

17,475 posts, read 66,054,754 times
Why would you run base "around" the bench? Looks fine just the way it is. Just reinstall the wall base butting into the bench.

From the pic it all looks pretty tight, so I don't see the need for scribe mold or qtr-rnd; unless the wall base had shoe mold- then i would continue the shoe mold around- but thats it! A bead of caulk should handle the gap.

Old 01-21-2015, 10:18 AM

Quarter round won't work because the bench faceframe isn't touching the ground, it's kind of like a small kick plate gap at the moment...and the boss (my girl) doesn't want that gap. I think it looks good as it is. Plus it is sitting on a 2x4 frame base, and that lumber is visible...although I could cover with a finished 1x4 I guess. I suggested that, but she says "if we are covering it, why not moulding?"

Maybe I should finish up and paint to finish then see if she changes her mind. Her demand originally was to have baseboard surrounding the bottom for a "clean classic" look...since she is using the beadboard and all.

Old 01-21-2015, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaSpur View Post
Quarter round won't work because the bench faceframe isn't touching the ground, it's kind of like a small kick plate gap at the moment...and the boss (my girl) doesn't want that gap. I think it looks good as it is. Plus it is sitting on a 2x4 frame base, and that lumber is visible...although I could cover with a finished 1x4 I guess. I suggested that, but she says "if we are covering it, why not moulding?"
Because it is going to look stupid really with two different sizes.

If you used the same size, you'd just do a mitered inside corner for that "built-in" look.

Old 01-21-2015, 12:15 PM

17,475 posts, read 66,054,754 times
What's the original base? 1X with base cap or is it regular ogee base?

If it's 1X with base cap I'd just mimic the look. Run a short 1X around the base then cap it with the base cap. If it's the other; do as you suggested- just the 1X and leave it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating