Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2015, 06:23 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,049,938 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
Do you get the acrylic paint at Lowes/Home Depot?
We got ours at Sherwin Williams. Since we just did our kitchen cabinets out of the same paint, we didn't have to buy more but it is fairly expensive from SW. I am sure both of the big box stores sell acrylic paint as well. We just tend to use SW.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2015, 06:28 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,252,744 times
What a great job! I love how you used that unused space under the sink! And I also love the way you used color, including bringing the ceiling color down the walls and finishing with molding. Excellent. Thanks for sharing.

Old 03-31-2015, 05:40 AM

1,268 posts, read 3,005,577 times
Awesome!!!! What an amazing Reno for $500!!!!

Old 04-01-2015, 12:05 PM

1,192 posts, read 2,489,210 times
I love to see your projects. Beautiful transformation!

Old 04-01-2015, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PennyLane2 View Post
I love to see your projects. Beautiful transformation!
Thanks!

I still have an unfinished kitchen project out there! We had a delay because other things became more pressing (e.g. new HVAC - ugh). But I'm so used to live in half finished rooms, it's almost homey at this point. Next project for us is installing new hardwoods so we can finish the kitchen. We're doing it ourselves - of course. When we had the HVAC installed, it was SO nice just sitting there while someone else did the work. Tried to convince my hubby how this was the way to go. He just can't seem to do it though. Funny enough, we're looking for a new house and of course we're looking at fixer uppers but I told hubby that this time, the remodeling WILL be done before I move in this time.

Old 04-01-2015, 03:17 PM

935 posts, read 3,454,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
Acrylic can be difficult to work with at times - it has a pretty quick setup. But I think it's worth it because the resulting finish is so hard. We did use acrylic primer as well. Not sure if that step was necessary or not (we normally use oil based primer) but since I didn't want chipped paint in a month, thought it was worth it.

Of note, my husband is the one that figured this out to use this paint because his marine paint for his boat is water based acrylic. Figured it stood up to plenty of abuse and thus would be a decent choice. He was right!

I will say that if it had not been white paint, I likely would have used oil. We've done oil before for other non-white projects and it has a fantastically hard finish. White is a problem area for oil paint though because it will yellow.
Did you do any other prep to the cabinet before priming? Did you sand or deglaze at all? I'm thinking of paining my bathroom vanity and will probably use inslx again, but won't use the zisser--it became unworkable very quickly and stayed tacky for hours.

Oh, also, I decided to skip the primer on my buffet hutch which I painted a very light blue -- BM 793. This has been a problem. Chipping is not an issue, but even after 4 coats, the old stain is bleeding through in some places. When I moved last May, the hutch ended up with some paint rubs on it but the primed bottom was unscathed.

Old 04-01-2015, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWayISeeThings View Post
Did you do any other prep to the cabinet before priming? Did you sand or deglaze at all? I'm thinking of paining my bathroom vanity and will probably use inslx again, but won't use the zisser--it became unworkable very quickly and stayed tacky for hours.

Oh, also, I decided to skip the primer on my buffet hutch which I painted a very light blue -- BM 793. This has been a problem. Chipping is not an issue, but even after 4 coats, the old stain is bleeding through in some places. When I moved last May, the hutch ended up with some paint rubs on it but the primed bottom was unscathed.
We did. We clean them first very well. Since it was my daughter's bathroom who is generally a slob, this was a heck of a job. I use either TSP or just mineral spirits - whichever I have on hand. In the past we sanded but this time we tried a deglosser and it worked very well. After that we primed. This time we used acrylic primer since we were using acrylic paint. We do about 2-3 coats, sanding between each and then tack cloth. Frankly, the priming step is one of the most important. It will ultimately determine how 'smooth' the cabinets are at the end. Since these were oak, we wanted to somewhat minimize the grain and the primer helped with that.

Then, we added 2 (or 3?) coats of acrylic paint sanding between each with just a super fine sandpaper before the last coat. Normally we spray cabinets since we have a conversion HVLP gun but this time since it was so small, we just used brushes and cabinet rollers. Honestly, the finish is just as smooth. The paint said it was self-leveling and it actually was!

In the past we've used other primers - some good and some not so good. Personally, I am not a fan of the Zisser because the smell is too strong.

Besides oil, this acrylic paint has been the best for cabinets I've used. We used an enamel for our master bathroom cabinets and I was quite unhappy with its performance. We ended up having to put a top coat of urethane on it. Not an issue with the acrylic thus far.

Insl-x cabinet coat is an acrylic as well. If I were you, I would go with their primer since you are guaranteed it will work well with their paint. We did that - same brand for the primer and paint.

Old 04-01-2015, 05:43 PM

12,547 posts, read 9,974,882 times
I just bought a gallon of Insl-x to paint my kitchen cabinets. I see that they say "Cabinet coat is self priming and adheres to all properly prepared cablnets, trim and door surfaces". Should I take this to mean I can run the palm sand over everything, clean and paint it on without primer? I plan on painting one coat, letting it dry a few days and putting on 1 or 2 more coats.

Old 04-01-2015, 06:00 PM

Quote:
I just bought a gallon of Insl-x to paint my kitchen cabinets. I see that they say "Cabinet coat is self priming and adheres to all properly prepared cablnets, trim and door surfaces". Should I take this to mean I can run the palm sand over everything, clean and paint it on without primer? I plan on painting one coat, letting it dry a few days and putting on 1 or 2 more coats.
I'm not super familiar with Insl-x as I've never used it. Thus, I am not sure if it has stain blocking properties or not. That would be my only concern since a non-stain blocking primer could allow any leftover stain and/or color to eventually bleed through.

Old 04-02-2015, 09:52 AM

935 posts, read 3,454,844 times
Quote:
This was not my experience with Insl-x on my buffet. I primed the bottom of the buffet and painted and that paint is holding up very well. When I got the hutch I was bored with the job and skipped priming and only did a light sanding. I used 4 coats of Insl-x on the hutch and still have some area's of discoloration from the stain below. Also, the finish is not as durable, there are scuffs on the top after I moved and no scuffs at all on the bottom.

I recommend priming.

The Insl-x does does self level well. I don't think you can ever eliminate brush strokes entirely, but they are minimal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating