Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2015, 11:04 AM

11,011 posts, read 11,019,659 times

Advertisements

As part of my ongoing whole house refresh, we tackled my daughter's bathroom. The house was built in 1997 and everything in it dated from that era and really needs a refresh. This bathroom was an easier one because it needed less major work and more tweaking to update it.

What we did:
1. Painted. The walls are painted with SW Pure White. We decided to bring the ceiling paint down on the walls eight inches and add a bit of moulding between the line of white and blue. This blue is SW Belize. This is, in my opinion, the easiest and least expensive way to transform a room.

2. Cabinets. The cabinets were in great shape but I disliked the dated looking oak and really hated that open area meant to be a vanity but never served as such given the small size of the bathroom. Thus, we added storage to this area by building out shelves there. I used poplar for the shelf itself and oak (to match the existing cabinetry) for the front face frame.

After that, we painted all of the cabinetry. In order to ensure the paint dried very hard, we used acrylic paint. This costs quite a bit more but it's worth it because it doesn't yellow like oil, doesn't have that softness like latex, and can really take a beating. We painted our kitchen cabinets with the same and it has held up beautifully.

3. Counter and faucet. If you have cultured marble and it's beginning to look a bit roughed up, it's very easy to restore it. My husband has done this a couple of times now and wet sands it with a very fine sandpaper followed by automotive polishers. It's more time consuming than anything else but makes a huge difference at the end. We added a more updated faucet as well.

4. Flooring. We had an old sheet vinyl floor in here. After adding cement board and doing any appropriate leveling, we tiled this floor. This is a very inexpensive tile but I like putting the dark gray grout in there to help curb the issue of worrying about staining all of that grout. Plus, I think the dark gray highlights the tile instead of it disappearing into a sea of white.

5. Toilet. We had the old water saver toilets of the 90s that worked terribly. We've taken the opportunity to replace these as we've done each bathroom. I was in luck and found this Kohler on sale and had a coupon. So I got a great deal on it. I do so love great deals. Because I was willing to buy it when it was on sale and store it until I was ready to use it, I was able to save loads of money. This really goes for everything.

6. Lighting. The only lighting in this room is that over the sink. Hate that but oh well. Easy quick update is to replace dated lighting. The hollywood lights that were in here previously were definitely dated.

7. New woodwork. We added the frame around the sheet glass mirror which is an easy update. Just make sure to paint both sides since the mirror will show the underside color to some degree. In addition, we updated the baseboard and just continued it right across the front of the cabinetry. I like this look because it's quite cohesive.

8. Decor. Really, how much can you add to a bathroom? We went with fun and quirky because it perfectly defines my daughter. She's both of those things. Besides it's a bathroom. Have fun with it!

Photos - tried to pick similar before and after angles. Enjoy. Happy to answer any questions as to cost, materials, etc.

Some before photos.

Hello husband!

Some after:

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2015, 11:26 AM

7,244 posts, read 7,067,976 times
Well done.

Love the Dali clock...

Old 03-27-2015, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kab0906 View Post
Well done.

Love the Dali clock...
Me too! My daughter is an artist. Thought it would suit her. Normally, I would use original artwork for my rooms but with it being a bathroom, I didn't want to risk the art. The clock was my favorite piece too though!

Old 03-27-2015, 12:25 PM

324 posts, read 836,884 times
Amazing redo, especially with a $500 budget. Awesome job!

Old 03-27-2015, 12:37 PM

Just a quick note. We decided to go with that bold blue on the ceiling because it matches my daughter's bedroom. Although we did pick a few tones lighter for the ceiling in the bathroom. I thought this is a great way to translate the color without being too overwhelming. So, something to keep in mind if you want colors to flow from one room to another - look to the ceiling!

A picture of my daughter's bedroom. You can see how that bathroom 'goes' with her room.

Old 03-27-2015, 01:15 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,867,486 times
Love the room and bathroom! Great job and done so economically!

Old 03-27-2015, 01:35 PM

524 posts, read 574,284 times
Love the new shelves in the vanity. What a great way to use that space.

Old 03-27-2015, 02:07 PM

935 posts, read 3,446,012 times
Looks really nice. Its great to see examples of what can be done on a small budget. Not sure I could tackle the shelves myself, but everything else would be doable for a DIYer with a little less experience. Floor tiles don't look inexpensive either, which is nice.

Old 03-27-2015, 11:53 PM

20,125 posts, read 16,147,530 times
Love what you did with the vanity.

Old 03-28-2015, 01:05 AM

12,547 posts, read 9,929,264 times
I always like seeing what people can do with small budgets. IMO, just about anyone can gut a room and spend a lot of money to make something look decent, but when a low budget is slapped on a project, you have to get crafty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating