Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2015, 03:32 PM

4 posts, read 11,317 times

Advertisements

We are in the process of buying a home. We are first time home buyers. The house should be done by July 31st.
My question is the size of the room we looked at (during construction) looks a lot smaller then the model home we saw. The house is the same one but reversed. The Rep told us that both Master bedrooms from the one we are getting the model home are the same exact size 13x16. which seems small with no room to put in a California King bed once we buy one. Right now we have a dresser and a queen bed. The one we are getting has no sliding doors. maybe its the sliding doors that make it look bigger? I dont know but she has told us a few times now that all the rooms, living etc have the same measurements. the manual we got says that every construction worker will never put the electric outlets in the same spot in each home or the ceiling light in the same spot. i get that. but is a 13 x 16 small?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2015, 03:42 PM

22,568 posts, read 47,633,000 times
Small is relative.
How large is your current MBR?

Old 06-09-2015, 03:59 PM

7,244 posts, read 7,069,492 times
A cal king will be too large for that room if you have other furniture in the room, like dressers. A nightstand would do fine but not much else.

We have a cal and the apartment we were in had those exact dimensions. We had a large dresser at the foot of the bed and you had to stand to the side to get the drawers fully open.

A bit does depend on where doors and windows are located but, in general, you will be squished if you have much more furniture.

Old 06-09-2015, 04:03 PM

I live in a Apartment now. i have no idea to be honest. we live in a 2 store 3 bedroom 3 full bath apartment and pay $1125. It doesnt have a walk in closet or a big master bathroom with a bunch of cabinets, a stand in shower or big bathtub so its great. im not trying to sound greedy. I just dont see how it looks the same.
Here are two pictures from the model home and one from the construction house.
[IMG]http://i62.tinypic.com/33atlb8.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i57.tinypic.com/51twzl.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i62.tinypic.com/2ag9qqf.jpg[/IMG]

I didnt take a good picture. i was going to take a ton but i got so caught up asking so many questions. behind me would be the entrance to the master bathroom

Old 06-09-2015, 04:06 PM

9,358 posts, read 14,093,349 times
Cal King 6 ft wide and 7 feet long. Make a scale drawing.

Old 06-09-2015, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kab0906 View Post
A cal king will be too large for that room if you have other furniture in the room, like dressers. A nightstand would do fine but not much else.

We have a cal and the apartment we were in had those exact dimensions. We had a large dresser at the foot of the bed and you had to stand to the side to get the drawers fully open.

A bit does depend on where doors and windows are located but, in general, you will be squished if you have much more furniture.
Yeah.. My husband wants to buy a california king mattress from Sleep Number and new bed frame. we only have a Ikea Dresser which is not even that big and the ikea queen mattress and bed frame. no nightstands

Old 06-09-2015, 04:11 PM

22,568 posts, read 47,633,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by healthymama View Post
we live in a 2 store 3 bedroom 3 full bath apartment and pay $1125.
Irrelevant.
Measure your current room; compare it to your new room.

Old 06-09-2015, 04:40 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,144,036 times
Yes. And if you have to, buy a smaller bed.

Old 06-09-2015, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Irrelevant.
Measure your current room; compare it to your new room.
i asked our office here. she said its 10x15. I dont see how. from Length its 21 feet. from my closet door to the wall its 21 feet. from wall to wall (window to wall where my headboard is) its 15 feet.

Old 06-09-2015, 06:08 PM

17,473 posts, read 66,019,193 times
I don't see the point of the question... If there really is one(?)

All your dimensions can be CONFIRMED WITH A MEASURING TAPE!!!

If the dimensions are as stated, then obviously a cal-king is not the best choice for the room- should of thought about that before signing the contract!

*as a side note; very rarely do decorators use a king size bed in a model. Because IT OBVIOUSLY MAKES THE ROOM SMALLER!
They also use wall colors that make the room feel larger.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating