Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2015, 11:34 AM

935 posts, read 3,446,012 times

Advertisements

I could use some input on the wall color for the dining room. I am trying to blend my nautical/coastal style--I grew up along the Connecticut shore--with this Midwestern Bungalow.

Two years ago, I painted an old buffet in Watercolor blue. I like it in the space, so I painted the living room in BM Mystical Blue which is one shade lighter than the buffet. Its hard to tell from the photos, but it is lighter. In the living room, plan to put in white board and batten with a honey oak ledge, and replace that oak crown molding with a heavier white cove molding.

I think that Yarmouth Blue or Woodlawn blue would look better in the living room, but to me, it clashes with the brighter blue of the buffet. I think I'm going to keep the buffet as is for the next 5 years. Another option is to repaint the living room in Brushed Aluminum which goes with honey oak and blue.

For this weekend, I need to settle on which color for the dining room. White Sand or Featherbed.

White Sand is on the top and Featherbed on the bottom:

A better view -- ignore that yellow in the middle:

This is Featherbed facing the living room:

Colors lined up:

Attached Thumbnails
Wall color for dining room-20150703-untitled-62.jpg   Wall color for dining room-20150703-img_2219.jpg   Wall color for dining room-20150703-untitled.jpg   Wall color for dining room-palette-1.jpg   Wall color for dining room-palette2.jpg  

Wall color for dining room-palette3.jpg  
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2015, 12:40 PM

5,014 posts, read 6,599,205 times
I'd vote for the white sand. Once you put up the white crown molding, I think that will create a nicer contrast.

Old 07-03-2015, 05:14 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,135,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWayISeeThings View Post
I could use some input on the wall color for the dining room. I am trying to blend my nautical/coastal style--I grew up along the Connecticut shore--with this Midwestern Bungalow.

Two years ago, I painted an old buffet in Watercolor blue. I like it in the space, so I painted the living room in BM Mystical Blue which is one shade lighter than the buffet. Its hard to tell from the photos, but it is lighter. In the living room, plan to put in white board and batten with a honey oak ledge, and replace that oak crown molding with a heavier white cove molding.

I think that Yarmouth Blue or Woodlawn blue would look better in the living room, but to me, it clashes with the brighter blue of the buffet. I think I'm going to keep the buffet as is for the next 5 years. Another option is to repaint the living room in Brushed Aluminum which goes with honey oak and blue.

For this weekend, I need to settle on which color for the dining room. White Sand or Featherbed.

White Sand is on the top and Featherbed on the bottom:

A better view -- ignore that yellow in the middle:

This is Featherbed facing the living room:

Colors lined up:

White sand.

Old 07-04-2015, 08:15 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,096,128 times
I agree White sand. I think it is a more neutral base.

Old 07-04-2015, 01:54 PM

50,340 posts, read 63,918,476 times
I disagree. I vote Featherbed. On my screen, White Sand looks a little too pink, but maybe it's just the reflection off the woodwork.
What is the shade you painted on the rear wall of the cupboard? You must have chosen it because it is compatible to the Watercolor Blue? To me, it would make sense to put it on the walls.

Old 07-04-2015, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I disagree. I vote Featherbed. On my screen, White Sand looks a little too pink, but maybe it's just the reflection off the woodwork.
What is the shade you painted on the rear wall of the cupboard? You must have chosen it because it is compatible to the Watercolor Blue? To me, it would make sense to put it on the walls.
I think its your monitor. White sand is an extremely neutral tone. Its falls just a tiny bit towards away from yellow towards orange, but just slightly. Here I took the source file by saving jpg from the Ben Moore website...you cannot trust screen captures to be 100% accurate on color information nor can you trust monitors. So I took the source graphic into Photoshop to look at the levels there. One of the best ways to see what the color actual is, is to boost the saturation to 100%. In this case, its a very bright mustard yellow.

Base formula for White Sand. When adjusting the HSL (Hue, Saturation, Lightness) values, you can affect the color. Changing hue (Chroma) moves the slider on the left of the color window up or down. Changing Saturation (intensity) moves the bubble in the palette to the right or left and changing the Lightness moves it up or down (tint/shade).

Wall color for dining room-white-sand-levels.jpg

With saturation levels boosted
Wall color for dining room-white-sand-100p-saturation.jpg

Old 07-04-2015, 11:10 PM

5,587 posts, read 8,399,588 times
I'm totally confused with all the various colors and rooms you mentioned, and what is that band of white in the middle of your paint samples? That's the color that looks pinkish. I can't even tell the difference between the colors above and below that white part. But you've probably decided by now anyway. I had Woodlawn Blue in my bathroom and it was a fairly grayish blue, so I don't think it would go with that buffet, which looks more baby bluish to me.

Old 07-06-2015, 09:13 AM

1,614 posts, read 2,299,732 times
I vote for Featherbed. The blue on your buffet is a very "clean" blue, and featherbed is brighter and complements it better than the Sand color. I also think it complements the wood trim better. The Sand next to the wood trim is just kind of "meh".

I also agree that Woodlawn blue wouldn't look great with your buffet color. Woodlawn has a lot of gray in it, while your buffet does NOT.

Old 07-07-2015, 06:56 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
I prefer White Sand. On my monitor, Featherbed veers off into pink. Pink and blue - UGH. 1980s all over again. Just add hearts and geese!

Old 10-11-2015, 09:16 AM

Default Update

So I went with the White Sand and I am not in love. In fact, I'm re-thinking the whole blue/white, beachy motif in a mostly oak bungalow. The more I look at it, the more I am thinking about repainting the buffet matte black (not sure how it will look with the stained top--I don't want to go too country) and going with warm beige/mustard tone and navy accents. I'd keep the ticking slipcovers and recover the arm chairs with a different fabric. I'd re-paint the living room to a beige a shade or two darker than the sofa.

I'm liking this Ben Moore Oakwood Manor color. Its the color in my inspiration photo at the bottom of this post. In the long term, between the two doors in the dining room, I want to install distressed creamy white board and batten with oak trim at the top and replace the oak crown molding with wider, more arts and crafts style white crown and some ceiling detail.

What do you think?

Here is the wall with White Sand:

Bungalow bath with white and gold tones:
Attached Thumbnails
Wall color for dining room-decor-.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating