Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2015, 05:02 AM

1,680 posts, read 2,560,959 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
I close escrow at the end of the month and have a rug in mind at overstock, I am hoping it is the right color as I will be stuck with it for sure. it is (I hope)

gentlearts I am betting you will love your new rug

Alliyah Handmade New Zeeland Blend Classic' Grey/Green Wool Rug 6 ft Square - Overstock Shopping - Great Deals on Alliyah Rugs Round/Oval/Square

This is the rug I bought at overstock in an 8 foot square. On my monitor it looks 95% shades of grey blue. The 95% was actually various shades of very dark green to light green. Only about 5% of the rug was actually a silvery grey.

If this rug looks green on your monitor, your monitor is much more true to color than mine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2015, 10:08 AM

50,382 posts, read 64,034,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary2014 View Post
Alliyah Handmade New Zeeland Blend Classic' Grey/Green Wool Rug 6 ft Square - Overstock Shopping - Great Deals on Alliyah Rugs Round/Oval/Square

This is the rug I bought at overstock in an 8 foot square. On my monitor it looks 95% shades of grey blue. The 95% was actually various shades of very dark green to light green. Only about 5% of the rug was actually a silvery grey.

If this rug looks green on your monitor, your monitor is much more true to color than mine.
I love that, but it looks gray/taupe on my screen too. So did the color work for you?

Old 07-10-2015, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I love that, but it looks gray/taupe on my screen too. So did the color work for you?
All of the shades of green with a few strips of silvery grey combined with the various heights of the wool give it a nice feeling of ocean waves. The color was neutral enough so that it did not clash with my 9 x 12 oriental rug that has a traditional busy pattern of deep reds and blues. The rooms are katty-corner to each other and my antique rug takes center stage. The greens work, but, it was a completely different color from what I thought I had ordered.

I no longer trust my monitor to give me an accurate picture of rug colors - so, I am not likely to order another large rug on line- as it would be too costly to return.

Old 07-10-2015, 07:08 PM

274 posts, read 353,998 times
Quote:
I no longer trust my monitor to give me an accurate picture of rug colors - so, I am not likely to order another large rug on line- as it would be too costly to return.
After that viral photo about whether you see a blue/black or white/gold dress, I'll never trust any colors I see online!

Is the dress white and gold or black and blue? Photoshop says 'both' - Business Insider

Old 07-11-2015, 04:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moon2 View Post
After that viral photo about whether you see a blue/black or white/gold dress, I'll never trust any colors I see online!

Is the dress white and gold or black and blue? Photoshop says 'both' - Business Insider
moon2,
Not difficult to return a piece of clothing if the color is not what you expected. Returning a large rug is a much more costly mistake if the color is not what was expected.

Old 07-11-2015, 06:34 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,991,038 times
I love rugs and I don't have a particularly difficult time shopping for them, but I never buy them online - I only buy them in person locally so that if they don't work, I can return them easily. That being said, I've never had to return one - but I don't trust the colors on a computer monitor. I usually bring a pillow or something with me when I'm shopping for a rug.

I LOVE blue and white, gentlearts! What a classic combination and you can throw in a variety of accessory styles to pick up on those colors in the rug. What color are you going to accent with?

Old 07-11-2015, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I love rugs and I don't have a particularly difficult time shopping for them, but I never buy them online - I only buy them in person locally so that if they don't work, I can return them easily. That being said, I've never had to return one - but I don't trust the colors on a computer monitor. I usually bring a pillow or something with me when I'm shopping for a rug.

I LOVE blue and white, gentlearts! What a classic combination and you can throw in a variety of accessory styles to pick up on those colors in the rug. What color are you going to accent with?
I have that blue (batik, cobalt) under the chair rail, china white above. the China white might get tweaked to another shade when everything else is in place. The trim is polar bear white. The accent color seems to be settling on red. I bought a French sign with red and blue and it has started steering the whole room, and I've always had the large painting in there which has red in it. Other than that, I have a lot of blue pottery, white pottery, and flow blue china.

You might remember that I hate the way the balloon shade I made looks from outside, and it has green in it, so its going. Once the rug comes, I'll start agonizing over curtains. I'm thinking plain white linen, but who knows? I will also be covering the DR chairs, yet again, and am pretty sure they will be a blue and white print. I want to get some pattern going and my only options are in the chairs and drapes.

Last edited by gentlearts; 12-24-2020 at 07:06 AM..

Old 07-11-2015, 09:28 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,373,234 times
I study and collect tribal rugs. I choose them based on my interest and aesthetic preferences irrespective of how they will complement my decorative scheme. So far I haven't gone wrong.

It may have something to do with the universality of geometric design and the limited palette (mostly indigo, madder, cream/beige) of Middle Eastern tribal rugs, though.

Old 07-11-2015, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
I study and collect tribal rugs. I choose them based on my interest and aesthetic preferences irrespective of how they will complement my decorative scheme. So far I haven't gone wrong.

It may have something to do with the universality of geometric design and the limited palette (mostly indigo, madder, cream/beige) of Middle Eastern tribal rugs, though.
I agree that one cannot go wrong, and my comfort zone is right there with you. Why is it you can throw almost any Middle Eastern rugs together and they'll look great in any room.
My current decision to "lighten up" my surroundings, switch out things more often, and to not spend a lot of money, is what's driving this particular rug decision.

Old 07-11-2015, 11:11 AM

18,420 posts, read 19,036,217 times
Quote:

love that rug. it looks grey blue to me as well. I hope you like it anyway. I just had my overstock drapes sent to my sister's house so she could reroute them to me. the shipping to Hawaii is crazy, but I figured I could get them in a fit to ship box from the post office from her house. she called and said they were pretty brown and not orange. told her I didn't want orange but they should be a terracotta, she said sorta. so we will see. think I am stuck with them. I love the pattern.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating