Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2015, 10:22 AM

50,384 posts, read 64,034,538 times

Advertisements

I'm wondering if its just me, or is choosing a rug the hardest thing in decorating.
Bold statement vs subtle background?
What if I take a leap, and then I don't like it?
At times, I have ordered a small version first, for ease of returning it. Maybe I'll do that this time.

I am the queen of subtle (DH says I paint everything white, but its grayish white, bluish white, greenish white, etc), and usually go for the tried and true, but I don't want to be stagnating in the past either. I had a beautiful oriental rug in my former dining room that was perfection, but it does not fit in the postage stamp sized DR I have now.
I'm looking at bold rug from Overstock, but I'm afraid to push the send button. Is anyone else like this?

Flatweave TriBeCa Blue Stripes Wool Rug (8' Square) - Overstock Shopping - Great Deals on Round/Oval/Square
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2015, 12:05 PM

7,246 posts, read 7,085,104 times
Yes. I've been looking for a rug for my office for a while.

As to your current choice, I personally don't like stripes but then my stuff wouldn't go with stripes.

Old 07-07-2015, 12:32 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,938,069 times
I have absolutely zero problems when it comes to rugs and any color or style. Pretty easy decision for me actually, I tell the wife I want a different rug and it's now her problem. I figure it will cost me at least $250.00 in just gas in her Fusion so I don't let her look often. Typically, she never finds what she wants so we do with what we have. And so yer aware, they can make carpet into rugs at most carpet companies. We have rugs in the living and one of the bedrooms that are actually carpet made into rugs. They can also add pad and a backing if you want to spend the bucks.

Old 07-07-2015, 01:15 PM

18,420 posts, read 19,036,217 times
go for the rug, add some toss pillows that are the same color blue maybe in a solid. bring in a few accessories that also have that color in it. once you throw some of that color around the room, here and there the rug won't feel so bold anymore. right now it is all you are focusing on so it seems bold but it really isn't if you add the color elsewhere in the room

Old 07-07-2015, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
I have absolutely zero problems when it comes to rugs and any color or style. Pretty easy decision for me actually, I tell the wife I want a different rug and it's now her problem. I figure it will cost me at least $250.00 in just gas in her Fusion so I don't let her look often. Typically, she never finds what she wants so we do with what we have. And so yer aware, they can make carpet into rugs at most carpet companies. We have rugs in the living and one of the bedrooms that are actually carpet made into rugs. They can also add pad and a backing if you want to spend the bucks.
Darn. If only I had a wife, or a husband with design abilities.

Old 07-07-2015, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
go for the rug, add some toss pillows that are the same color blue maybe in a solid. bring in a few accessories that also have that color in it. once you throw some of that color around the room, here and there the rug won't feel so bold anymore. right now it is all you are focusing on so it seems bold but it really isn't if you add the color elsewhere in the room
Thanks, that is the kind of pep talk I needed. I am pretty sure I will get it. For one thing, there will be a round 6' dining table on top of it, so it will be mostly covered up. No place for throw pillows in the DR, but I have a lot of cobalt blue dishes and accessories.

Old 07-07-2015, 02:31 PM

13,057 posts, read 18,133,701 times
Two things that would concern me. Size of the rug under the table and shape. Obviously you have coordinated the rug to the room so I am not worried so much about the "busyness" of the pattern, more about if it is too small given the table size and assumed chairs around it and also the square shape as opposed to either a round or rectangle.

Old 07-07-2015, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
Two things that would concern me. Size of the rug under the table and shape. Obviously you have coordinated the rug to the room so I am not worried so much about the "busyness" of the pattern, more about if it is too small given the table size and assumed chairs around it and also the square shape as opposed to either a round or rectangle.
Totally agree. This is an 8' square in a room that is 11' square, so the size is good, I think.

Old 07-07-2015, 03:53 PM

13,057 posts, read 18,133,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Totally agree. This is an 8' square in a room that is 11' square, so the size is good, I think.

Yes, that should be ok the old "rule" if there is such a thing is 18 inches around but I think like most old rules that went out with the bath water.

Old 07-08-2015, 02:54 AM

6,191 posts, read 7,362,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I'm wondering if its just me, or is choosing a rug the hardest thing in decorating.
Bold statement vs subtle background?
What if I take a leap, and then I don't like it?
At times, I have ordered a small version first, for ease of returning it. Maybe I'll do that this time.

I am the queen of subtle (DH says I paint everything white, but its grayish white, bluish white, greenish white, etc), and usually go for the tried and true, but I don't want to be stagnating in the past either. I had a beautiful oriental rug in my former dining room that was perfection, but it does not fit in the postage stamp sized DR I have now.
I'm looking at bold rug from Overstock, but I'm afraid to push the send button. Is anyone else like this?

Flatweave TriBeCa Blue Stripes Wool Rug (8' Square) - Overstock Shopping - Great Deals on Round/Oval/Square

I won't tell you how many hours I spent deciding on a rug for our LR. Loved it online and hated it in person. It never stopped shedding and it started looking not-so-hot. We finally chucked it. I think the hard part for me is that I want to see it IN PERSON and it's almost impossible to do that with a lot of rugs.

I know what style I like when I see it (and I know what I DON'T want) and it's still hard. Ha.

I did buy a rug for my bedroom right away and I loved it. Still do. It was absolutely perfect and I will keep it as long as I can.

(The bedroom one is basically this one: Safavieh Poolside Grey/ Bone Indoor Outdoor Rug (9' x 12') - Overstock Shopping - Great Deals on Safavieh 7x9 - 10x14 Rugs --- but it's not thin/mat like, which is how people are describing it, so I am thinking I have a slightly different variation.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating