Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2016, 05:53 PM

13,056 posts, read 18,121,249 times

Advertisements

Iron-A-Way, Iron Away, IronAway: Ironing Board/Ironing Center/Ironing Boards/Ironing Centers/Replacement Pads

I am considering installing one of these in my master bath, if I remodel the room. I will be removing a garden tub and putting in a window type seat, to lie clothes on etc. so space is not a problem.

I have always wondered if there was buyers remorse after getting on of these or if people were happy in general. If you have one, are you happy with the model you have or wish you would have gotten different model and why? Thanks to all in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2016, 08:17 PM

37 posts, read 40,076 times
People still iron stuff?

Old 03-05-2016, 09:18 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,928,902 times
I haven't installed one of those since the 1970's. Jeez, I didn't know they still made them. About 30 years ago, I found myself single and thought I was supposed to have an ironing board so I bought one from Walmart. Threw it out 2 weeks ago....unused. All things considered, I see no need for one of these things.

Old 03-06-2016, 07:20 AM

Thanks to both of you for the responses. While many don't iron these days, I still do and want to incorporate it into my new bath.

Old 03-06-2016, 08:41 AM

4,852 posts, read 3,279,714 times
I installed one in a bath remodel of our old house. Just the cabinet, iron not included. It was fine.

Old 03-06-2016, 10:07 AM

1,192 posts, read 2,483,704 times
We had one in the house I grew up in. It didn't have a place for the iron and other stuff, but it was still convenient. I would love to have one in my laundry room. Just pushing the ironing board up and closing the door is way better than having to fold the ironing board and carry it back to its hanging pegs. I mostly iron when I sew, but I would never be without an iron and ironing board.

Old 03-06-2016, 05:20 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,167,759 times
I remember my grandmother had one of these, ages and ages ago. If having one in the bath works for you--it sounds as if you will be caring for your clothes there--I don't see why it wouldn't work. I particularly like the idea of plugging the iron into the unit. And I hope the iron can be stored in the unit when not in use.

I still iron too. But my current laundry room has no room for an ironing board, so I iron on a tile counter with a doubled up bath towel on top. It works OK, but an ironing board would work better.

Old 03-06-2016, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
I remember my grandmother had one of these, ages and ages ago. If having one in the bath works for you--it sounds as if you will be caring for your clothes there--I don't see why it wouldn't work. I particularly like the idea of plugging the iron into the unit. And I hope the iron can be stored in the unit when not in use.

I still iron too. But my current laundry room has no room for an ironing board, so I iron on a tile counter with a doubled up bath towel on top. It works OK, but an ironing board would work better.
We live in a ranch with a basement. The laundry room is actually on the main floor but there is a small slop sink opposite the w/d and no other space, it was actually a 1/2 bath that the original owners converted to a laundry room when built. I have my iron set up in the unfinished basement. I am still easily able to go up and down, but since we are thinking about how we want to remodel this was an idea I had. The electric is already there, as we are removing the garden tub so it should be able to be connected quite easily. There is storage for the iron (even hot) and things like spray starch and water to dampen.

Now if I can only come to terms with the flooring, we could move ahead!!

I sometimes wash a towel and only partially dry it to damp to make ironing things easier, I simply put the damp towel under the item and it makes it easier to get the wrinkle out. Learned that when living in my apt. years ago and did most ironing on the counter.

Old 03-13-2016, 06:57 AM

50,376 posts, read 63,993,273 times
I had one in my old house. I liked not having an ironing board taking up floor space. My only objection is that it was not convenient for ironing something like a large tablecloth. For most day to day ironing, it is fine.

Old 03-13-2016, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I had one in my old house. I liked not having an ironing board taking up floor space. My only objection is that it was not convenient for ironing something like a large tablecloth. For most day to day ironing, it is fine.
This is exactly the type input I am looking for. The large size board is 46 inches. While I like you, still iron, (old fogey that I am), I will have to consider the number of times I actually iron something large. Granted, if I get the board I am sure it is way more often than I think . I have a very large tablecloth that I use at Christmas and I always wish the ironing board were larger. HMMMM. Have to find out how much the cleaners will charge me to press a clean cloth. Probably a lot less than my time is worth. I will also keep the standard iron in the basement for just such times. Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating