Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2017, 08:22 PM

2,867 posts, read 3,558,895 times

Advertisements

Last May we needed a queen sized mattress and box springs for our guest room. Didn't want to pay a lot for something that won't be used much more than maybe 10 days a year. So we checked out Amazon and found one with over a thousand near perfect reviews, called the signature sleep series, for less than $300!

Our daughter's box springs were so loud that when ever she would move in her sleep the creaking noise would wake her up. So, checked out Amazon for something that might fix the problem. I found these steel box springs for less than $200. Problem not only solved, but her mattress became a lot more comfortable, and completely silent.

So we bought another steel box spring for the guest room bed at the same time. All-in, around $400 bucks. Perfect!

Turns out, it's the most comfortable bed in our entire house (5 bedrooms)! My dad (76) swears by it when he's here visiting. We've had friends come and stay for a few days, and they to have raved about how comfortable that Amazon bed is. So both my wife and I have tried it too, and neither of us woke up with our typical sore backs, felt rested and quite happy.

Our 11 year old Simmons beauty rest in our master bedroom that we paid $1,600 for (king) has become a valley of pure misery for us. We were ready to pull the trigger on a sleep number bed, but threw that expensive idea out the window after experiencing the cheap Amazon bed.

For $500, we're replacing our Simmons king for an Amazon bed (also king) and a steel box spring. I simply can't justify the thousands when the $350 bed appears to be as comfortable if not more so. Just search "Signature Sleep" on Amazon and you'll see them. Search "Zinus smart box springs" for the steel box spring.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2017, 01:21 AM

2 posts, read 964 times
Just to add another data point. Late last week I emailed Essentia for some samples. Samples arrived the next day. All I can say is that whatever it's made from, the "memory foam" samples are beautiful. Prettier than the standard latex sample they sent. They are a very clean white color and have no odor. Actually, that's not true, there's a very faint pleasant odor. I almost took a bite And it behaves very much like memory foam. High quality memory foam actually.

I don't live anywhere near an Essentia showroom and have never seen/tried the mattresses. And I haven't read all the controversy on the forums. But I tend to believe their story about the foam. My money is that its petroleum-free foam made from hevia milk and other "natural" ingredients. If only, because very few people would have the cojones to found a business on a lie that big and the brains to get away with it for so long I can't say anything about Essentia mattresses comfort, saftey, or durability; but if there was a store closer by, I'd definitely want to check it out.

Old 04-26-2017, 02:22 AM

61,729 posts, read 87,147,355 times
The mattress, I think you had in mind
https://www.amazon.com/Signature-Sle.../dp/B005A4OO80 has also great reviews on Amazon, however I don't see where it says Essentia, and is made in China. Popular because is cheap, but foam mattress from China? - no, thank you!
BTW: this one is even cheaper with great reviews:
https://www.amazon.com/Signature-Sle...earch-keywords

Never heard of Essentia, but it has a great review here:
https://www.mattress-guides.net/esse...tress-reviews/
I would expect it to be pretty good for $6K....

Old 04-26-2017, 04:51 AM

Actually it's this one. We don't like those memory foam beds.

Signature Sleep Signature 13 Inch Independently Encased Coil Mattress with CertiPUR-US Certified Foam Pillow Top and Soft Bamboo Mattress Cover, 13 Inch King Mattress. Available in Multiple Sizes https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00TPJI98W..._2RhazbM1YR7K1

Old 04-30-2017, 08:40 PM

1,225 posts, read 1,235,073 times
Quote:
Our daughter's box springs were so loud that when ever she would move in her sleep the creaking noise would wake her up. So, checked out Amazon for something that might fix the problem. I found these steel box springs for less than $200. Problem not only solved, but her mattress became a lot more comfortable, and completely silent.
that happened to me once...then I discovered as I was rotating the mattress that the box spring had become warped. Replaced that, noise gone.

Old 05-01-2017, 02:24 AM

61,729 posts, read 87,147,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC211 View Post
Actually it's this one. We don't like those memory foam beds.

Signature Sleep Signature 13 Inch Independently Encased Coil Mattress with CertiPUR-US Certified Foam Pillow Top and Soft Bamboo Mattress Cover, 13 Inch King Mattress. Available in Multiple Sizes https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00TPJI98W..._2RhazbM1YR7K1
Looks like a decent mattress for the next 5-6 years.

Unbiased Signature Sleep Mattress Bed Reviews and Ratings 2016 : Innerspring and Memory Foam Comparison : Complaints

Signature sleep is made in China. Matress generally nit made fir bug people.

Old 05-01-2017, 05:46 PM

We installed it and a new steel box spring this past Saturday. It's a very nice mattress indeed! I'm mid 40's, around 5'11 and 210lbs. Last night I slept for the first time in god knows how long for 9 hours straight and don't think I moved a muscle the whole time. Woke up feeling like a new man.

Life changing? Of course not. But will say that I've been a lot more relaxed over these past couple of days. My wife has noticed, and my kids as well (which is saying something right there)! Will it last for 11 years like the other one? Who knows, but if it lasts just 3, it'll be well worth it. I do suspect it'll last thought for many years. Petty substain mattress (more so than the Simmons it replaced ever was).

Old 05-03-2017, 10:38 PM

513 posts, read 499,619 times
I think it must just depend on the mattress as far as how long they last. I have a 20 year old mattress- I added a 3 inch gel foam cover from Costco a few years ago. Still really comfy. I've been on other beds that were uncomfortable after many fewer years.

Reading these posts, I didn't realize mattresses aren't flippable anymore (or at least they are rare). I guess stuff has gotten cheaper over the years, but quality is probably what gets sacrificed for the cost savings.

Old 05-10-2017, 07:26 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,318,759 times
I also have a Tempurpedic which is about 6 years old. I find it a little hard and I don't like the flatness of it but it is one of the best mattresses I ever bought. I'm thinking about getting a nice plump topper for it. In my son's room is a Sealy Posturepedic that I bought at a furniture store in 2009 that started sagging within 2 years.

As for dust mites, I vacuum my mattresses regularly and then spray them with Clorox disinfectant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating