Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2016, 05:06 PM

2,914 posts, read 2,688,085 times

Advertisements

I keep hearing these commercials about replacing your mattress after 8 years. As it turns out this so-called "rule" comes from the Better Sleep Council, a non-profit organization that is... wait for it....supported by the mattress industry!

The other myth is that your mattress can double in weight from dust mites. That would have to be a very light mattress! Also there's nothing wrong with dust mites as long as you're not allergic. Microscopic dust mites are unavoidable. They feed off of dead skin.

Also if your flat mattress becomes concave you can extend the life of your mattress by simply putting boxes under your mattress wherever you need to in order to flatten out your mattress.

The bottom line is if your mattress isn't screwing up your back and you aren't developing an allergy then you can keep using your mattress. Might as well keep it for as long as you can. Putting off major expenses increases wealth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2016, 05:19 PM

18,381 posts, read 19,020,549 times
when the mattress stops being supportive is when you should get a new one. 8 to 10 years seems to be about the time they wear out. I would not want to sleep on a mattress much older than ten years. I do mind the thought of dust mites. I feel the same way about fabric chairs, couches.

Old 04-22-2016, 06:20 PM

61,713 posts, read 87,123,005 times
When you regularly wake up tired or achy, when you get a better sleep on your sofa than in your bed, when your mattress looks or feels saggy or lumpy - you might need to take a close look at your mattress.
There’s no set formula for determining when you need to replace a mattress. Mattress companies prefer that you buy a new one every 6-8 years - it's good for THEIR business. But before you do so, you can try to improve your sleep quality by taking few simple steps.

A saggy mattress that sinks in various spots is an indicator that your mattress is old or in need of repair.
If you have box springs - check them. Many times, if the box springs are worn out, replacing them will fix the sag in the top mattress. Buying replacement box springs is less expensive than buying a whole mattress set.

If you don't want to replace your box springs, you can top them with a piece of plywood cut to size. Place the plywood between the box spring and the mattress. You can place a memory foam or even a pillow instead.

If you don't have box springs (platform bed) - check the slats in the frame under the mattress. Replace them if they are warped. Or add one or two more for extra support, especially where the sag is.
That will take care of the bottom of your mattress.

You can also improve the top - buy a mattress topper. Depending on your budget, options include: a memory foam mattress topper, air mattresses, or down mattress toppers, which can be up to 3" thick.

Here you can read about dust mites:
Dust Mites: Everything You Might Not Want To Know!!!

Vacuum your mattress and cover with:
http://goo.gl/6yXJ9a
If you don't want to sleep on plastic, buy this:
AllergyCare 100 Cotton Dust Mite Proof Mattress Covers and Encasings

Stop being a neat-freak and leave your bed unmade, with the sheets exposed to the air. This will allow the sheets to dry out, and substantially reduce the numbers of dust mites.

Wash your sheets, pillows and blankets in very hot water - set your washing machine to it's hottest setting (!) or pop them into the freezer for 24 to 48 hours to kill dust mites.
Add this for washing:
Amazon.com: ACARIL Laundry Additive 8 oz.: Home & Kitchen
http://goo.gl/xQlCcP

Old 04-22-2016, 06:59 PM

4,690 posts, read 10,420,226 times
Having just (2 months ago) bought a new mattress to replace a 6 year old, money well spent. We were both waking up Hurting, not getting full nights sleep due to physical pain (shoulders and hips, we're side sleepers), and generally not resting. Nevermind the "sag" in the middle (and on a platform bed, it was sagging with a solid surface beneath the mattress)...

Not like this was a cheap mattress either, we spent $1200~1500 on it, followed all the recommendations of going to a local manufacture, getting "fitted" for the mattress, blah, blah, blah... so far, the replacement mail order foam jobbie is the best thing I've ever slept on and for less money too. If it holds up as well as my foam pillow (2" tall as I'm a tall man with broad shoulders, it's about 14 years old now) it'll be money well spent and I'll have Zero hesitations about sleeping on it longer.

Point is, universal suggestions don't work. "Always" and "never" seem to be exclusive clubs.

Old 04-22-2016, 10:00 PM

1,058 posts, read 1,250,313 times
Ours is 9 years old and ready for replacement. My wife and I each have huge saggy divots on each side. This was a Serta mattress that cost about 2k for a king. As much as I hate spending 2k on a decent mattress, my back hurts all the time because the mattress doesn't support my spine right anymore.

Oh, and that crap about 5 lbs. of dead skin on your mattress after 8 years....lol...yea right.

Old 04-23-2016, 11:03 AM

1,846 posts, read 3,940,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post
Point is, universal suggestions don't work. "Always" and "never" seem to be exclusive clubs.
+1 Good point! I agree completely.

I have a 14 year old king sized Sealy mattress (with another name on it but made by Sealy). It is just for me, a single old lady, and I don't sleep on any one part of it all night every night. It is so comfortable and just exactly what I want. It had some peaks and valleys but replacing the (bent) iron bedframe took care of that and now it is nice and level and not saggy or lumpy. I shower before going to bed, and wash the bedding, so it feels, smells, and looks clean enough for my purposes. The Better Sleep Council can say what they want, but I'm not replacing my mattress yet, sorry! At my age I can tell when a mattress needs replacing, having gone through that numerous times, and this one just isn't there yet.

Old 04-28-2016, 06:42 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,321,790 times
My wife and I sleep on the mattress I bought about 26 or 27 years ago. There seems to have been no noticeable degradation. We have a sheet of 3/4" plywood between the mattress and the box springs. When I went to buy the mattress I went to Sears & Roebuck and bought the hardest one they had (which was also the most expensive).

I think the idea that mattresses wear out in a decade or less is pure hype intended only to sell more mattresses. Although, if we were both 300 lbs. maybe it would make a difference. Or, if you buy a cheap soft crummy mattress.

Old 04-28-2016, 10:08 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,369,227 times
I last replaced my mattress after nineteen years, but to be perfectly honest, that was long after I should have replaced it.

Old 04-28-2016, 12:07 PM

24,202 posts, read 19,210,098 times
Agree with "when you wake up hurting" as the time for a new mattress. I replaced a ~3 year old mattress which was not worn out but just didn't work well. Switched it for a memory foam and right from the start, had the best night sleep I'd had in years. That one is now 5 years old and still comfortable, but not quite as much as when I first got it. I'm sure it has another couple of good years at least, but I expect that I'll be mattress shopping in another 2 or 3 years. Getting good sleep is far too precious - and when you look at it over the time frame, it's less than dollar a night for the time you own a good mattress. I'd call that a pretty good deal!!

Old 04-28-2016, 12:15 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,369,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Agree with "when you wake up hurting" as the time for a new mattress. I replaced a ~3 year old mattress which was not worn out but just didn't work well. Switched it for a memory foam and right from the start, had the best night sleep I'd had in years. That one is now 5 years old and still comfortable, but not quite as much as when I first got it. I'm sure it has another couple of good years at least, but I expect that I'll be mattress shopping in another 2 or 3 years. Getting good sleep is far too precious - and when you look at it over the time frame, it's less than dollar a night for the time you own a good mattress. I'd call that a pretty good deal!!
I bought a Tempurpedic a year or so ago, and I absolutely love that thing. Visually, it looks a bit strange, since it's extremely flat compared to the pillow-top mattress I had previously, but I've never slept better. Pricey but worth it. I'm a convert.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating