Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2018, 07:27 AM

5 posts, read 3,251 times

Advertisements

I recently purchased my first home and despite the owner advertising it as "turn-key ready", it was a fixer upper. I've done most of the work myself and yes I'll take inspiration from HGTV among every other source I can find. But there are some things I'm tired of seeing already.

- shiplap (i'm looking at you chip and joanna)
- Repurposed barnwood or pallets. Why does everyone suddenly want their home to look like a barn? Yuck!
- I'm not opposed to subway tile if done right, but it reminds me of the house I grew up in.
- I want to burn anything that says live laugh love, including if its a tattoo on someone.
- fake wood anything
- shaker cabinets and white kitchens. God I hate white kitchens.
- plain, boring, dull ikea furniture. Yes I currently have an ikea desk, it was cheap and I needed something until I can craft my own from walnut.

I love antiques, but you won't really find any in my house as I'm self-aware enough to know they won't look right mixed in with random modern pieces. Nor do I want my house to look like an antique store off the highway. When I bought my house, I intended to style it with a more modern design but keep some classical elements to it so it doesn't look so boring and cookie-cutter. I did my kitchen with a cherry raised panel cabinets and granite counter, stainless steel appliances with a single basin sink. I finally have a dishwasher, so I don't see a need for the 50/50 split sink. Kitchen walls are green, which I've received mixed opinions from people on that one.

I just can't wait 'til spring when I can start landscaping, the fun stuff! First thing I'll do is remove the evergreen bush. So 80s.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2018, 09:20 AM

37,619 posts, read 46,006,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diyourselfer View Post
I recently purchased my first home and despite the owner advertising it as "turn-key ready", it was a fixer upper. I've done most of the work myself and yes I'll take inspiration from HGTV among every other source I can find. But there are some things I'm tired of seeing already.

- Repurposed barnwood or pallets. Why does everyone suddenly want their home to look like a barn? Yuck!
- I'm not opposed to subway tile if done right, but it reminds me of the house I grew up in.
- I want to burn anything that says live laugh love, including if its a tattoo on someone.
- fake wood anything
- plain, boring, dull ikea furniture. Yes I currently have an ikea desk, it was cheap and I needed something until I can craft my own from walnut.

I love antiques, but you won't really find any in my house as I'm self-aware enough to know they won't look right mixed in with random modern pieces. Nor do I want my house to look like an antique store off the highway. When I bought my house, I intended to style it with a more modern design but keep some classical elements to it so it doesn't look so boring and cookie-cutter. I did my kitchen with a cherry raised panel cabinets and granite counter, stainless steel appliances with a single basin sink. I finally have a dishwasher, so I don't see a need for the 50/50 split sink. Kitchen walls are green, which I've received mixed opinions from people on that one.

I just can't wait 'til spring when I can start landscaping, the full bn stuff! First thing I'll do is remove the evergreen bush. So 80s.
I despise barn wood, barn doors, and any other attempts to make the inside of a home look like a barn.

There are thousands of different sizes colors and textures of “ subway tile”. Not sure how anyone could classify all of that as “one look”. Subway is simply rectangular in shape. That’s it.

I am not a fan of antiques. I don’t want “modern”, but I sure don’t want a home that looks like my great aunt’s home.

I prefer white kitchens. Light, bright, airy. Love love love. Shaker cabs too.

I have a dishwasher, and my desire and preference for a double sink (55/45) has no bearing on that.

I have sage-gray walls in my kitchen/dining room and love it. Everyone else does too.

Old 02-27-2018, 11:38 AM

2,251 posts, read 3,272,247 times
Quote:

- fake wood anything

I just can't wait 'til spring when I can start landscaping, the fun stuff! First thing I'll do is remove the evergreen bush. So 80s.
I don't agree with a lot of your opinions, but I certainly agree that I hate white kitchens, too. I just don't get it. Literally ANY other color is more interesting...

Old 02-27-2018, 11:58 AM

24,201 posts, read 19,215,171 times
I don't have a white kitchen, but I don't need my kitchen cabinets to be an interesting color. I prefer a neutral color for cabinets, and I add interest with accessories and decor which can be easily changed when desired. Even the countertops feel like a place to add interest more than cabinetry to me.

Old 02-27-2018, 12:14 PM

5,266 posts, read 8,746,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
We all have different tastes. And yes, if I moved into a kitchen with stainless steel appliances and granite counters, if I had the money, I'd rip it all out and replace it with some vintage appliances and tile counters as soon as I could.

I think the thing is, though, I wouldn't declare to a viewing nation that I absolutely couldn't cook in a kitchen that wasn't decorated exactly the way I wanted it to be and you wouldn't either.

Actually, I'm so eager to get a home of my own I'd cook in a cardboard box if it came with a roof and its own lawn. LOL
I didn’t cook in a cardboard box but I did on that vintage stove in a shed while we were building. I don’t think I mentioned that we built the cabin ourselves with our own hands.

I also had a Sun Oven...Essentially a black box with shiny aluminum wings to reflect the sun into the box, and I made roasts, cakes and the best bread in that. I’ve baked cakes on a grill and I have a woodcookstove as well.

Yes, I would definitely cook in whatever.

Old 02-27-2018, 12:46 PM

5,126 posts, read 7,411,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robino1 View Post

I do have one sign that is perfect in my kitchen. It resides over the pantry door.

It says: but first...COFFEE (The 'O' is the silhouette of a coffee cup)

A housewarming gift from my stepdaughter. She knows me so well. <3
That's not the kind of sign that is awful. That would not faze me.

It's the treacly ones.

Truly witty signs, especially in a kitchen, can be charming.

Old 02-27-2018, 12:49 PM

5,126 posts, read 7,411,405 times
Quote:

I love antiques, but you won't really find any in my house as I'm self-aware enough to know they won't look right mixed in with random modern pieces.
Designers mix modern with antique all the time. Europeans especially do it.

Granted, you have to have an eye for the mix, and the modern pieces have to have classic lines.

Old 02-27-2018, 04:38 PM

7,029 posts, read 4,898,284 times
I like white kitchens...sort of. I don't like stark white everything with any kind of streamlined modern look. That feels too cold and clinical to me. I do like ivory or off white. I had always wanted to do a kitchen in blue and white and then I thought about blue and yellow, soft colors, not in-your-face bright blue and lemon yellow, like in the first picture. But I saw a picture of a kitchen in green tiled counters and while the only shade of green I've ever liked was moss green and never in a kitchen, this one is growing on me. That's pic 2.

I'm also a nut about tile - I love it. I know everyone doesn't like it. I also like brick, even though it makes a kitchen seem darker, and one day I hope to have butter yellow appliances, although not with white subway tile. And while small, I want to have a a more dated kitchen with at least one shelf in it instead of a cabinet. I know most people don't like those either, though.
Attached Thumbnails
If I Never See This Decor or Design Choice Again, or Please, No more…..-k42.jpg   If I Never See This Decor or Design Choice Again, or Please, No more…..-k26.jpg   If I Never See This Decor or Design Choice Again, or Please, No more…..-k32.jpg   If I Never See This Decor or Design Choice Again, or Please, No more…..-k34.jpg   If I Never See This Decor or Design Choice Again, or Please, No more…..-k50.jpg  

If I Never See This Decor or Design Choice Again, or Please, No more…..-k64.jpg   If I Never See This Decor or Design Choice Again, or Please, No more…..-k33.jpg  

Old 02-27-2018, 04:52 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,215,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
I like white kitchens...sort of. I don't like stark white everything with any kind of streamlined modern look. That feels too cold and clinical to me. I do like ivory or off white. I had always wanted to do a kitchen in blue and white and then I thought about blue and yellow, soft colors, not in-your-face bright blue and lemon yellow, like in the first picture. But I saw a picture of a kitchen in green tiled counters and while the only shade of green I've ever liked was moss green and never in a kitchen, this one is growing on me. That's pic 2.

I'm also a nut about tile - I love it. I know everyone doesn't like it. I also like brick, even though it makes a kitchen seem darker, and one day I hope to have butter yellow appliances, although not with white subway tile. And while small, I want to have a a more dated kitchen with at least one shelf in it instead of a cabinet. I know most people don't like those either, though.
I personally can't stand tile - had it in my last kitchen and ended up hating it with a passion - although it was convenient to be able to set a hot pot or casserole directly on the counter! But I will never have a tile kitchen again. Tile backsplash maybe, but definitely not counters or floors.

However, I can look at most of those photos and think they are pretty, even if not for me. A couple were just too much for me to even think that, but mostly they are all pretty nice.

My last kitchen had yellow walls and I used yellow and blue accents, with a yellowy-beige tile. I do still love the yellow/blue French Provencal color combo even if I don't want to live with it again.

Old 02-27-2018, 06:28 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,845,258 times
Medium grey or darker as the color of the current trend. Even if you live in the Sunbelt, it take a lot of work to make the rest of the room look not gloomy. A year or two back, I was in, I think, a Restoration Hardware store where it was all grey and poorly lit, and going through the store was like being in a crypt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating