Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2018, 11:26 AM

24,201 posts, read 19,219,950 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
But if the homeowner likes gray, then she is to use some other color? I chose gray for my interior rooms because it looks so great with the fat white trim my home has. I used several sorts of gray in different rooms, and I love the look.

I think we should not assume that when someone uses neutrals that the owner secretly wants green or mauve! Perhaps the neutrals are exactly what she wants for her home.

If the owner wants bright green or deep blue, then I say she use those colors. She or he should please themselves.
Agreed. My preference is for a neutral on the walls, so I can be more colorful with furniture, textiles, art, etc. Especially with an open floor plan, I think having a single color throughout (at least throughout the main living area) looks best.

In my last house I used a greige color that I still like, but in my new house, I wanted something different and went with gray.

But by the time I'm ready to paint, I'll want a change again, so who knows what I'll decide to go with then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2018, 01:27 PM

764 posts, read 1,422,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PS90 View Post
Are you referring to just Fixer Upper or ALL shows on HGTV? Because Property Brothers is probably worse than Fixer Upper when it comes to doing the exact same thing in every house that they remodel. Everything they do in the last 2 or 3 years gets white painted cabinets and a gray color scheme.
I was specifically referring to Fixer Upper. I haven't seen Property Brothers for several years so I can't comment on that one. If I remember right though, their houses didn't all look alike, but I guess they started down that path too. Pity.

On one particular Fixer Upper show, the homeowners specifically told Joanna they didn't like white, didn't like subway tile, and definitely did NOT want everything to be white and Chip said "Do you know who you're talking to?" in a kind of joking way. Guess what they got? White everything and subway tile. They didn't seem as happy at the reveal as some of the other homeowners on the show did. It was one of the last episodes I watched with them. I totally get it that if people really like her designs, then by all means, have her do up their house. But if someone wants a different design, why insist on giving them what they specifically said they didn't want??

Old 03-22-2018, 08:14 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,332,370 times
I guess I don't watch enough TV. Is "subway tile" just tile laid in a running bond pattern vs. a stack bond pattern?

Old 03-22-2018, 08:37 AM

4,610 posts, read 3,304,325 times
From THIS OLD HOUSE's website:

It might just be the hardest-working wall covering in America. From the moment that ceramic subway tiles made their debut in New York City's subterranean train stations in the early 1900s, they captured the public's imagination and quickly moved into the bathrooms and kitchens of prewar houses for both practical and aesthetic reasons. Easy to clean, stain resistant, and light reflective, the 3-by-6-inch glazed white rectangles epitomized what those rooms could and should be: sanitary.

Inevitably, the popularity of subway tile has expanded its working definition. Manufacturers often use the term now to describe any rectangular tile with a length twice its height, from 4-by-8-inch planks to 1-by-2 mosaics, and even some tiles (such as contemporary 2-by-8 strips) that don't share the original's proportions at all.

Old 03-24-2018, 09:23 AM

2,951 posts, read 2,520,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Briolat21 View Post
So, if granite has been popular for 30+ years (and honestly, stone has been around for much longer than that as an actual counter option - soap stone, marble)...

I don't really think that's a "fad".

Formica? Well, since it wasn't invented until 1912, and the "golden period" of use in countertops was the post war boom..

(also, some of their original designs were wood grain and marble - because that was previously what was being used as countertops)

so Formica's been around for less than 100 years as a popular countertop product.

Long lived? Yes. As long as stone or wood? No.

Personally I don't think any natural material is a "craze". That said, tastes definitely change. And no matter how timeless someone thinks their choices are, there's a good chance that whoever buys your home will hate everything you did... because they have their own preferences.
Excellent post.

Have a friend who has owned a granite yard and fabrication since the early 80's. Natural material will not go out of style. Every year their sales go up.

We had hard wood floors in the 60's, my parent had it in their home when they were kids in the 20's. It used to be cheaper than carpeting.

Everyone has their own taste. I laugh to myself when I hear someone say oh we are putting in hard wood floors, like its some new trend. Where have you been? I had it in my house in the 80's. Over all its cheaper than carpet, if you don't have pets, walk on it without shoes, it'll last decades without a touch up.

I have slab stone floors. Have a friend whose house is 100 years old, and the floors are slab stone.

Another freind built a 15,000 sq ft house. They had to redo the glass countertops 5 times before they got them right. Old installers don't know how to handle glass counter tops.

I can't stand grey, subway tile or white marble with or without veining. All these look very outdated quickly. Must be cause I saw these in old restaurnats or something as a kid.

But again each of us live with what we like and could careless on other people's opinoion.

Old 03-24-2018, 09:29 AM

2,951 posts, read 2,520,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Chip and Joanna Gaines seem like nice people and I wish them continued success, but I have never liked their overall style - not enough color and bling for me. I don't want rusted farm implements hanging in my house. They belong in a barn in my opinion.
Bravo!

I can't stand any show on HGTV. No creativity, throw something together cheap and quickly and move on is their motto.

But it what sells to the HGTV crowd so I know why they do it.

Old 03-25-2018, 08:10 AM

26,739 posts, read 26,834,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foundapeanut View Post
I laugh to myself when I hear someone say oh we are putting in hard wood floors, like its some new trend. Where have you been? I had it in my house in the 80's. Over all its cheaper than carpet, if you don't have pets, walk on it without shoes, it'll last decades without a touch up.
True. One of our former homes had carpet everywhere, and underneath the living room carpet was a badly pet-stained hardwood floor. The home was built in the 1950s. While the floors were being sanded and finished, I asked the contractor why anyone would put carpet over hardwood, and he said that back then--probably in the early 1960s--wall to wall carpet was easier to maintain, because the original hardwood floors had to be waxed. Waxed? I can't even imagine.

Old 03-25-2018, 12:48 PM

5,118 posts, read 3,421,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
True. One of our former homes had carpet everywhere, and underneath the living room carpet was a badly pet-stained hardwood floor. The home was built in the 1950s. While the floors were being sanded and finished, I asked the contractor why anyone would put carpet over hardwood, and he said that back then--probably in the early 1960s--wall to wall carpet was easier to maintain, because the original hardwood floors had to be waxed. Waxed? I can't even imagine.
Yup. My mom covered our beautiful well-cared-for hardwood floors in the mid '60's with green sculptured carpet. That was the trend then. She also wanted to replace our wood-stained interior paneled doors and glass knobs with hollow flush doors, because that's what the new homes had. Fortunately, that last part never happened.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating