Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2018, 09:03 PM

764 posts, read 1,422,307 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ylisa7 View Post
I hate subway tile and mosaic tile...oh and grout that is a contrasting color to any tile.

Yeah shiplap is way up there on my list of dislikes. Pretty much anything Joanna Gaines does.
YES!! Heaven help me for saying this, but to me, everything she's done looks the same, and it doesn't seem like she's all that talented as an interior designer. If I've seen one Fixer Upper show, I've seen them all since the houses all look alike to me in the end. I honestly don't get the appeal of the show.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2018, 06:18 AM

23,175 posts, read 26,214,723 times
I'm late to this forum but read quite a few pages so this refers back to the subject of electronics and cords.
Regardless of whether it's the TV and stuff or computers and peripherals, if there's any kind of cabinet or drawer, I've drilled a hole in the back of the desk/shelf and put all the cords and wires down through it so they're hidden in the cabinet and plugged into a power strip.

Old 03-18-2018, 10:09 AM

5,118 posts, read 3,423,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
I'm late to this forum but read quite a few pages so this refers back to the subject of electronics and cords.
Regardless of whether it's the TV and stuff or computers and peripherals, if there's any kind of cabinet or drawer, I've drilled a hole in the back of the desk/shelf and put all the cords and wires down through it so they're hidden in the cabinet and plugged into a power strip.
Bless you. I wish my husband did the same. He appears to be blind to all cords.

Old 03-18-2018, 12:28 PM

2,251 posts, read 3,274,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnc66 View Post
YES!! Heaven help me for saying this, but to me, everything she's done looks the same, and it doesn't seem like she's all that talented as an interior designer. If I've seen one Fixer Upper show, I've seen them all since the houses all look alike to me in the end. I honestly don't get the appeal of the show.
Are you referring to just Fixer Upper or ALL shows on HGTV? Because Property Brothers is probably worse than Fixer Upper when it comes to doing the exact same thing in every house that they remodel. Everything they do in the last 2 or 3 years gets white painted cabinets and a gray color scheme.

Old 03-18-2018, 08:56 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,184,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PS90 View Post
Are you referring to just Fixer Upper or ALL shows on HGTV? Because Property Brothers is probably worse than Fixer Upper when it comes to doing the exact same thing in every house that they remodel. Everything they do in the last 2 or 3 years gets white painted cabinets and a gray color scheme.
About a year ago I tried watching some HGT-V and I thought that all the shows did pretty much the same thing decor-wise. And the shows were basically formulaic and unwatchable.

I do remember when I enjoyed watching HGT-V, but it has not been recently.

Old 03-19-2018, 01:55 PM

18,478 posts, read 31,656,752 times
I can see the homes that are going up for sale to be gray, or the neutral thing, because they are trying to have a wide appeal.
but when its an individual home that someone is fixing for them selves, then i dont like the gray neutrals.

flip or flop is sellg so christina, as boring as gray and white is, she is trying to cover a wide amount of people rather than a small percentage of people that would like, say red walls.....

where as gray walls would appeal to more people in the market for a house.

Old 03-19-2018, 05:56 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,184,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
I can see the homes that are going up for sale to be gray, or the neutral thing, because they are trying to have a wide appeal.
but when its an individual home that someone is fixing for them selves, then i dont like the gray neutrals.

flip or flop is sellg so christina, as boring as gray and white is, she is trying to cover a wide amount of people rather than a small percentage of people that would like, say red walls.....

where as gray walls would appeal to more people in the market for a house.
But if the homeowner likes gray, then she is to use some other color? I chose gray for my interior rooms because it looks so great with the fat white trim my home has. I used several sorts of gray in different rooms, and I love the look.

I think we should not assume that when someone uses neutrals that the owner secretly wants green or mauve! Perhaps the neutrals are exactly what she wants for her home.

If the owner wants bright green or deep blue, then I say she use those colors. She or he should please themselves.

Old 03-20-2018, 09:09 AM

5,444 posts, read 6,999,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PS90 View Post
I suspect because the people that are seeking out homes remodeled by either the Fixer Upper team or the Property Brothers team want their house to be done in their style. Because of this, the houses look the same each episode. If I like what Joanna does, but then I get my house back and it looks completely different from anything she normally does, I wouldn't be happy.

Old 03-20-2018, 09:21 AM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,487 posts, read 3,342,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by headingtoDenver View Post
I suspect because the people that are seeking out homes remodeled by either the Fixer Upper team or the Property Brothers team want their house to be done in their style. Because of this, the houses look the same each episode. If I like what Joanna does, but then I get my house back and it looks completely different from anything she normally does, I wouldn't be happy.
Exactly!

Old 03-20-2018, 11:03 AM

2,251 posts, read 3,274,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by headingtoDenver View Post
I agree with you to some extent, but shouldn't these "home improvement" shows be showcasing the different styles and techniques available, in order to draw-in a broader audience, rather than trying to shoehorn everybody into the particular style that they like?

EDIT: I guess, now that I think about it though, as others have been saying about HGTV - if they all preach a certain "trend" and therefore all their viewers need that trend, then they can change up the trend in a few years, and therefore all their viewers will need to spend money to keep up with each new trend. It's all a conspiracy to make money, it seems...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating