Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2017, 07:38 AM

3,546 posts, read 3,118,464 times

Advertisements

Caught a few episodes of that new show where they do renovations in Laurel, MS.

Things they got right: discussing how much some of the renovations cost, and being practical about needing to cut costs. Showing practical, less expensive ways to accomplish some of them. Curtains made from drop cloths bought at Lowes, for example. How to fix things rather than replacing. I hate how cavalier some of the other shows are about calling up people and telling them to hand over another $20K for this, that, and another thing.

Things that are way off: Removing screening and glass from front porches. Yes, it may look nicer to people walking by but that screening is there for a reason! Mosquitos, folks! And buyers living on a noisy street or who want weather protection will wish they had that glass back.

Last edited by Piney Creek; 05-17-2017 at 07:51 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2017, 07:45 AM

13 posts, read 8,178 times
I find the monotony of these shows mind-numbing - open floorplan, lack of color, commercial kitchens, etc. - yawn. I find the fussy demands of the shoppers/potential buyers borderline despicable. Never is there an effort to preserve the character of the past; it's all gut and redo. Well, of course it is, or they wouldn't have sponsors. So, the show's agenda (selling advertising) corrupts the intent of the shows.

Old 05-17-2017, 08:45 AM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,487 posts, read 3,342,231 times
Really if you think about it, the shows where they are renovating for a couple, the renovators are giving the couple what they are asking for.

In the opening sequence where they introduce us to the couple, the couple talk about what they are looking for in their new place. 99% of them are looking for the open floor plan so they can watch their kids, be a part of the group if they're entertaining etc...

I've only seen a couple that actually liked closed spaces or rooms that are apart from the action.

The flipping shows, that's a different story. They are working from their own tastes and what they think will sell in their market. It seems to work as they always get offers at the end. Why would they change their style if it works for them?

If there were no demand, they wouldn't be doing it.

Old 05-17-2017, 08:52 AM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,487 posts, read 3,342,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manalto View Post
I find the monotony of these shows mind-numbing - open floorplan, lack of color, commercial kitchens, etc. - yawn. I find the fussy demands of the shoppers/potential buyers borderline despicable. Never is there an effort to preserve the character of the past; it's all gut and redo. Well, of course it is, or they wouldn't have sponsors. So, the show's agenda (selling advertising) corrupts the intent of the shows.

There are a couple of shows that do try to preserve the past.

Stone House Revival (Pennsylvania based and brings the history back to house)
Rehab Addict (don't know if it is getting renewed. So far nothing new on the horizon)
Restored (specializes in bringing the house back to the era it was built)

All excellent shows.

There was another one on that was on for a season. He restored the house and each show was a section of rooms. The house, under today's climate, would normally have been leveled but he saved the house and brought it back to its glory.

Marvelous job too. I cannot remember the name of it. Hopefully he has a new project for this summer season. I had it set to DVR so if it comes on again, it should catch it.

Old 05-17-2017, 08:58 AM

19,029 posts, read 14,216,690 times
"... that's SHOW BUSINESS..."
HGTV is just another network selling audiences to advertisers.
Expecting anything different is not warranted.

Old 05-17-2017, 02:16 PM

1,011 posts, read 977,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robino1 View Post
There are a couple of shows that do try to preserve the past.

Stone House Revival (Pennsylvania based and brings the history back to house)
Rehab Addict (don't know if it is getting renewed. So far nothing new on the horizon)
Restored (specializes in bringing the house back to the era it was built)

All excellent shows.

There was another one on that was on for a season. He restored the house and each show was a section of rooms. The house, under today's climate, would normally have been leveled but he saved the house and brought it back to its glory.

Marvelous job too. I cannot remember the name of it. Hopefully he has a new project for this summer season. I had it set to DVR so if it comes on again, it should catch it.
American Rehab or Restoring Charleston

Old 05-18-2017, 07:58 AM

2,294 posts, read 3,431,422 times
I think what I miss the most on not only HGTV but the other DIY type stations are shows that actually show you how to do the projects yourself. It seems there used to be plenty of those shows but they have disappeared in favor of this is what we've got this is how much you have and this is what we did after the obligatory shocker that somehow always manages to swallow up the contingency fund.

Old 05-19-2017, 08:04 AM

1,192 posts, read 2,484,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piney Creek View Post
Caught a few episodes of that new show where they do renovations in Laurel, MS.

Things they got right: discussing how much some of the renovations cost, and being practical about needing to cut costs. Showing practical, less expensive ways to accomplish some of them. Curtains made from drop cloths bought at Lowes, for example. How to fix things rather than replacing. I hate how cavalier some of the other shows are about calling up people and telling them to hand over another $20K for this, that, and another thing.

Things that are way off: Removing screening and glass from front porches. Yes, it may look nicer to people walking by but that screening is there for a reason! Mosquitos, folks! And buyers living on a noisy street or who want weather protection will wish they had that glass back.
I saw the show I think you're referring to. I thought the house looked a hundred times better with that glass louver enclosure stripped off and replaced with that nice big front porch. I do agree that enclosures like that one are nice to have, but they belong on the back of the house.

One of the things on Fixer Upper that really bugs me is when JG shows the couple the new house plans and then tells them they have X amount of money left to do something of their choosing. It's usually about two or three thousand, which is reasonable.

On one show she told them they had between eight and nine thousand left to do something. They, of course, chose a project, and then during the demo Chip discovers that they need a new roof. JG gets on the phone and tells them that they need to come up with an extra six thousand. JG should wait until after the majority of the demo is done and then assess what might be left over to spend on something else. That would be a common sense approach but not create enough drama .

I'd probably be kicked off the show because I'd have to tell her to cut the extra project and use it toward the roof .

Old 05-19-2017, 09:22 AM

6,191 posts, read 7,361,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I love that show too. Did you see the one where they were on a very limited budget and were looking for a villa in Italy in a little village? WOW.
I like the international episodes too, even if it's just a little sliver of something.

Did you see the cave houses episode in Spain?

I know House Hunters is fake, but I just like seeing what is typical of other houses in other areas and price points.

I used to watch Design Star, which I liked, but I don't think it's even on anymore?

Old 05-20-2017, 12:21 AM

1,458 posts, read 1,170,885 times
I'm beginning to think all these shows are getting WAY too monotonous.

Open concept
Shiplap
Exposed brick
Former glory
Original hardwood
Subway tile

I think they need to come up with some new words. I'm tired of hearing these over and over.

Has anyone noticed the trend now is not white cabinets and trim, it's black? Man! Great way to suck all the light out of a space, paint it all black. I just saw one where they painted the whole entire house outside Black. Yuck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating