Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2017, 10:46 AM

5,510 posts, read 9,496,310 times

Advertisements

I started watching a show called Butte-ification over the weekend.

I was glad to see that they were bringing the original claw-foot tub up from the basement. I was a little disappointed that they didn't include the original marble-top sink that was next to the tub, in the basement.

But, I stopped watching when the "designers" finally convinced the owners that they really wanted to knock down the wall between the kitchen and dining room.

The dining room had nice wainscoting, and the owner even made the comment that the dining room was the only room in the house that didn't need any work. But, he eventually submitted to the cult of "open concept."

Oh, and I was also amused by the fake drama over finding lead paint on the exterior: "OMG, the exterior of the house is covered in lead paint, and it will cost $20k to have it abated!!! This is going to kill our budget!!! OMG!!!" Then, after the commercial break: "Or, we could just paint over it with oil-based paint, for $2k."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2017, 07:29 AM

3,546 posts, read 3,117,552 times
One thing I do like with the international shows is getting a glimpse of how other countries decorate. Some of the ideas are really intriguing. although some are head scratchers.

There was a show in Central America (I think that's where it was) where an apartment had bits of broken crockery plastered into to the living room walls. Not little bits, and not flat bits. I'm talk half a water pitcher protruding out of the wall right above a sofa, and tea cups sticking out here and there so that you could put things in them.

Old 07-05-2017, 08:42 AM

I just saw a show where they recommended leaving a bowl of fresh fruit out to attract home buyers, preferably with fruit from the pear tree in your own back yard.

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha, and may I add, ha and ha.

Can't imagine anything that would turn off a buyer faster than the ants and fruit flies a bowl like that would attract where I live. Maybe if you could stop by the house everyday to change it out, but who has the time (or money) to do that? Plus, I don't think this tip will help sell a house. Sometimes I really wonder where they come up with these ideas.

Old 07-05-2017, 03:56 PM

5,853 posts, read 5,284,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piney Creek View Post
I just saw a show where they recommended leaving a bowl of fresh fruit out to attract home buyers, preferably with fruit from the pear tree in your own back yard.

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha, and may I add, ha and ha.

Can't imagine anything that would turn off a buyer faster than the ants and fruit flies a bowl like that would attract where I live. Maybe if you could stop by the house everyday to change it out, but who has the time (or money) to do that? Plus, I don't think this tip will help sell a house. Sometimes I really wonder where they come up with these ideas.

I heard baking bread before the house is shown-just as long as you don't burn it.

Cat

Old 07-05-2017, 05:05 PM

1,940 posts, read 1,029,346 times
This Old House is still the only one worth watching. All the others are for ratings.

Old 07-05-2017, 05:31 PM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,487 posts, read 3,341,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpinionExperience View Post
This Old House is still the only one worth watching. All the others are for ratings.
ALL shows on TV these days are only about ratings.

Even 'This Old House'. If it didn't have a following, it would be gone.

Old 07-06-2017, 03:27 AM

1,940 posts, read 1,029,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robino1 View Post
ALL shows on TV these days are only about ratings.

Even 'This Old House'. If it didn't have a following, it would be gone.
Of course it would be cancelled if it didn't have a following.

This old house isn't staffed with GQ type hosts or Vanity Fair model's like most HGTV building shows. It's staffed with real working class contractors. Getting into the details of the construction is more important than the aesthetics.

Old 07-06-2017, 12:33 PM

84 posts, read 111,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsVulcan500 View Post
What bothers me with these shows is the "extra room in the budget for upgrades". Are these people all paying cash? Because if you're getting a mortgage, you're not going to have, say, $50K left over if the house costs $50K less. You mortgage a house for a percentage of the appraised value or sale price, whichever is lower. If you are putting down $20%, that $50K savings would really be $10K in your pocket for upgrades. And that number is even lower if you are putting down a smaller down payment. Probably not getting a new kitchen and master bath for $10K.
Sometimes they are acting as an intermediary- the mortgage is still for the total price, but they aren't buy directly from the seller- Magnolia homes (or whoever) buys the house, improves it, and then sells it for the total price to the buyer.

Old 07-13-2017, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3dogsnokids View Post
Sometimes they are acting as an intermediary- the mortgage is still for the total price, but they aren't buy directly from the seller- Magnolia homes (or whoever) buys the house, improves it, and then sells it for the total price to the buyer.
Hmm, interesting possibility. I wonder if this is how it works?

Old 08-03-2017, 10:55 AM

Speaking about ragging on HGTV, here's a funny clip:

This Shiplap Is Killing Me: 8 Things I Hate About HGTV

Love the comment about how they pull up a carpet and there's always a hardwood floor in mint condition! Ha ha if you pull up the carpet at my house, that's not what you're gonna find.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating