Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-22-2017, 02:37 PM

50,382 posts, read 64,021,617 times

Advertisements

I’m laughing right now. On the last episode of House Hunters, in guess where...CA, the picture perfect couple is looking for a, you guessed it....mid century modern, for only $850k, so of course it will need to be a fixer.

Wife to husband, in back yard, “Oh look, Honey, a tree!”
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2017, 12:27 PM

17,712 posts, read 29,839,573 times
Humor
https://www.curbed.com/2017/10/25/16...ers-roxane-gay

Old 10-26-2017, 11:17 AM

5,444 posts, read 6,998,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
This is funny because it is completely true. I have no problem with people and their tiny house mentality, but for the same price you are spending on buying/building a tiny house on a trailer, you could have just bought a double-wide or even just a small house (800sq/ft or something similar). People can call it a tiny house all they want, but at the end of the day, they live in a mobile home that they paid a small (see what I did there) fortune for.

Old 10-26-2017, 08:23 PM

12,845 posts, read 869,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by headingtoDenver View Post
This is funny because it is completely true. I have no problem with people and their tiny house mentality, but for the same price you are spending on buying/building a tiny house on a trailer, you could have just bought a double-wide or even just a small house (800sq/ft or something similar). People can call it a tiny house all they want, but at the end of the day, they live in a mobile home that they paid a small (see what I did there) fortune for.
Exactly!!!

Old 10-31-2017, 08:26 AM

3,546 posts, read 3,118,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by headingtoDenver View Post
I've always wondered if those itty bitty appliances and tiny scale bits of furniture cost a fortune. Those tiny houses aren't always a bargain. they

Old 10-31-2017, 08:42 AM

24,201 posts, read 19,224,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piney Creek View Post
I've always wondered if those itty bitty appliances and tiny scale bits of furniture cost a fortune. Those tiny houses aren't always a bargain. they
You are wrong in saying they aren't always a bargain. The reality is they are NEVER a bargain. They may be relatively inexpensive but if you look at price per square foot for example, you are paying a huge premium for tiny space.

I personally think they (those who want to live in a tiny home) are all nuts but yes, I do reserve particular dislike of the ones who complain about the lack of space in the tiny houses they are looking at.

On the other hand, the shows are wonderful fodder for hate watching, a hobby which is clearly shared by many!

Old 10-31-2017, 08:50 AM

1,387 posts, read 1,072,957 times
Not everyone understands engagement rings either. My view is that if it's really a path you want to go down, you have my blessing if you somehow thought you needed it.

Old 10-31-2017, 11:32 AM

5,126 posts, read 7,413,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Aside from the unnecessary "white people" commentary, that article is a good read.

I've dismissed tiny houses as impractical except for a tiny percentage of situations. At this point in life, I would be in fear of an accident if I had to climb a ladder to my bed every night.

Like the author, I've long suspected that the tiny house movement is really a harbinger of how screwed up our economy is for so many people. Hardly anyone seems to connect the dots though HALF of America makes $30,000 or LESS. Don't expect HGTV to delve into the truth.

Go on YouTube and you can find numerous people explaining what hacks they've employed to start living in their cars. This is what we've come to.

Old 11-01-2017, 10:01 AM

3,546 posts, read 3,118,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
You are wrong in saying they aren't always a bargain. The reality is they are NEVER a bargain. They may be relatively inexpensive but if you look at price per square foot for example, you are paying a huge premium for tiny space.

I personally think they (those who want to live in a tiny home) are all nuts but yes, I do reserve particular dislike of the ones who complain about the lack of space in the tiny houses they are looking at.

On the other hand, the shows are wonderful fodder for hate watching, a hobby which is clearly shared by many!
Ha ha, I stand corrected. And happily so.

Old 11-01-2017, 10:20 AM

17,712 posts, read 29,839,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
I think "mockery watching" would be a better term.
Or, maybe, "snark watching".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating