Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2017, 04:14 PM

3,306 posts, read 1,348,212 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
Most kitchen remodels will fail expectations mostly because the home owner either has no clue what they want or can't express what they want to the designer who is drawing plans and specs. Commonly, a woman will lead the request for a kitchen remodel. She'll come with all kinds of pictures from magazines or brochures of products and start with "I want this and this and this" and none of it is viable in combination with each other. Pretty stupid to try to use new 42" upper cabinets in Cherry yet have a green and white gas antique stove with a stainless vent hood. It happens far too often. They like a lot of detailed items but none of them will work each other. OR if the builder just says "I don't care, I'll build it", then the H/O is disappointed because it looks like the kitchen literally fell out of the sky from a plane carrying trash. Rarely will you find a H/O that knows exactly what they want in a kitchen. That's why most fail. What its real dumb, the latest rage of putting rock in the kitchen area, especially around a stove. I guess nobody has figured it out yet that stoves create grease and it has a tendency to splatter or escape the stove. It ends up on the rock. The same thing happens at the floor level and it turns black. Now it looks filthy and nasty.

Looks pretty now but wait until it gets dirty. There's no cleaning it and not do damage to the rock.
Cooking alcoves! Love banging pots and pans against the stone! And yea, the oil stains will be unsightly, but you can always call it patina.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2017, 05:30 PM

2,611 posts, read 2,884,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellopity View Post
I'm sure some of it is hyperbole. As I said before, I'm sure there will be many people who will enjoy these kitchens. It's a matter of taste. When you ask for opinions from the internet, you have to be prepared for a range of responses.

Setting aside the color and styling choices, these model home kitchens really do lack cohesion for me. I feel like whoever designed these for the Toll Brothers probably abstracted a number of "now" elements and threw them into a single kitchen without thoughtful editing. As an example, the waterfall edge islands really don't belong. The display cabinets also don't belong. Or the kitchen that you like, with the Mediterranean tile backsplash, probably needs a little more thought and editing. These homes may be considered high end for your geographic region, but just because the finishes are high end they don't necessarily work well with each other. It's like trying to style a Hollywood Regency room and then throwing in some Chippendale antiques, Arne Jacobsen chairs, and Eames lounger into the mix because they are all trendy right now. But you know, the Toll Brothers are probably just trying to sell their products quickly, so it really doesn't behoove them to create a space that has a strong stylistic point of view. It would narrow the customer base too much. As long as you are happy with the kitchen, don't try to take too much offense if it doesn't speak to others.
Thanks! That is why I hope people can point out what is wrong or can be improved with these kitchen. Those blanket exaggerated comments doesn't help. It would be nice to show us what would be your ideal kitchen as well.

Old 05-13-2017, 06:53 PM

3,248 posts, read 2,458,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nn2036 View Post
Are these kitchen for show mostly since people nowadays hardly cook at home?
Quote:
People in this forum must have very high standard. The kitchen I posted are from high end home with high end finish. They may not be what you like but I find it hard to believe that these are that bad to deserve:

"Those are all horrid. I don't think anyone around here would be caught dead in such a kitchen."

Or

"I would not have any of the rooms in those photos even if they were free."

Seriously?
Seriously. If I had any of those kitchens I would rip them out. Too dark, too much "stuff" in them, too much going on. They would be great on one of the Property Bros California or Vegas episode but not for me AT ALL. There is a chain restaurant here...The Summer House its called-- sells California cuisine. Two of these kitchens look like you are eating in that restaurant. Seriously, it could be the same designer. I have no desire for my kitchen to look like a chain restaurant. Maybe some people do.

Everyone has different taste. I prefer a much more classic kitchen. Light, bright. Bit of a vintage vibe. Not this transitional look everyone seems to think is the thing to do. In ten years those kitchens will be as dated a biscuit colored toilet or shag carpet.

Old 05-13-2017, 06:54 PM

3,248 posts, read 2,458,386 times
Quote:
Thanks! That is why I hope people can point out what is wrong or can be improved with these kitchen. Those blanket exaggerated comments doesn't help. It would be nice to show us what would be your ideal kitchen as well.
Why? This is not a "show us your ideal kitchen" thread. The model home kitchen pics kind of derailed it from the original article, which I think was useful. Why not start another thread?

Old 05-14-2017, 02:03 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,493,788 times
Quote:
People in this forum must have very high standard. The kitchen I posted are from high end home with high end finish. They may not be what you like but I find it hard to believe that these are that bad to deserve:

"Those are all horrid. I don't think anyone around here would be caught dead in such a kitchen."

Or

"I would not have any of the rooms in those photos even if they were free."

Seriously?
I don't think standards have anything to do with it. It's just personal taste. I happen to like wood cabinets and probably a bunch of things some folks here won't like and I'm fine with that. After all, I'm the one spending the money. Model homes are almost always over the top. For something that's ugly here on cd, I guarantee you there's a gazillion people dazzled by all of those hgtv finishes..and splurge on a bunch of high priced upgrades.

Diverting from your post, if a remodeler even suggests that I paint my beautiful maple cabinets white or gray.....

Old 05-14-2017, 06:52 PM

37,626 posts, read 46,035,471 times
Quote:
Speak for yourself. I cook 95%, at least, of what I eat.

Old 05-14-2017, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
I don't think standards have anything to do with it. It's just personal taste. I happen to like wood cabinets and probably a bunch of things some folks here won't like and I'm fine with that. After all, I'm the one spending the money. Model homes are almost always over the top. For something that's ugly here on cd, I guarantee you there's a gazillion people dazzled by all of those hgtv finishes..and splurge on a bunch of high priced upgrades.

Diverting from your post, if a remodeler even suggests that I paint my beautiful maple cabinets white or gray.....
I could probably deal with maple as long as the look was not dated. My cabinets were knotty pine, and walking in to the kitchen screamed" 80's!!". I have longed for a white airy bright kitchen for years, so I painted them white, and I love them.

Old 05-14-2017, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
It boils down to taste. I don't like dark kitchens. The greyish one was the best of the bunch, but still not my taste.

I had my kitchen remodelled 2 years ago...white and bright, except for a grey porcelain floor. Got rid of the microwave...and don't miss it.
Yup. White and bright is exactly what I want too. Do you regret the porcelain? I love the look, but I don't want to deal with the hard cold unforgiving floor, and the breakage factor. Pretty sure I am going with LVT. I like gray for the floor, too.

Old 05-21-2017, 01:39 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,224,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
Oh KA, you silly thing, thinking about the actual function of a kitchen! Don't you know that kitchens are no longer places to prepare food; they are places to show off how fashionable you are!

I read the article, which as someone else points out is really nothing more than a big advertisement for a "kitchen designer". First thing I noticed is the assumption that of course you will have wood floors in your kitchen. Right off the bat, all credibility is lost to me, someone who actually cooks in his kitchen. If you put wood floors in your kitchen, when (not if) the inevitable big water spill or leak occurs, you will have a he!! of a mess. Look at commercial kitchens. They use linoleum squares, linoleum sheet, or roughish surface tile.

Looking at the two example pictures, I see a number of issues:

1) The work triangle is absurdly large as KA pointed out.

2) Vent hood is too high and its fashionable design provides two big spots on either side of the vent pipe for collection of greasy dust.

3) Giant double wide drawers, when full, are going to be too heavy, hard to open and close quickly, and the bottoms will sag in a few years, plus the stuff in them will get all jumbled up.

4) Island seating is right in the way, plus they need to decide is the island a secondary prep surface or an eating area. If an eating area, get it out of the middle of the work space. If a secondary prep area, get rid of the excess overhang on one side, so you can get into the lower cabinets, and get rid of the fern which will drop leaves into whatever you are preparing.

5) Silly tall barstools with enormous square bases will be a hassle to move around, and hitching yourself up to the bar to eat will be an enormous PITA.

6) No place to hang cup towels.

7) The lonesome upper cabinet between the vent hood and the right hand window looks weird there. Not sure what to do to fix it, though.

8) Stainless steel front face of sink prevents the handy tilt out drawerette there which (when I've had it) I really really like as a great place to put scrubbies, Brillo pads, and sink stoppers.

9) Can't tell, but if the ceiling height is normal, it looks like you might bang your head on those drop lights over the island if you are doing prep work there and bend over the wrong way.

10) Where's the nuker?

11) Unless the oven(s) are underneath the stove top (can't see, but it doesn't look like it) someone is going to have a he!! of a long trip over to the sink when (not if) something goes horribly wrong in the oven and you just want to drop it in the sink.

12) In a kitchen of that size, I think a second sink for prep work would be mighty handy. Maybe in the island?

13) Can't tell for sure, but it looks like the sink is a single. Double sinks are preferred by people who actually cook, because when you have a bunch of stuff to hand wash you fill one side with your rinse water and the other side with soapy water so you don't have to waste water running it over every item or use a separate washtub on the counter.

14) My preference would be the dishwasher to the right of the sink not the left. If you have a lot of dirty dishes there's a lot more room on the left of the sink countertop, so you pile them there, scrape off in the sink, then put in dishwasher to the right. As a right hander this also seems more natural to me. As it is, you have to fit your dirties into the space on the right side of sink, plus back into the corner, then flow to the left to load the dishwasher. Minor point, but over the course of years these things matter.

You have a whole lot of opinions about only the way you like things being the right way for anyone who really cooks.

I really cook, all the time, and disagree with many of your pronouncements. I love my wood floors because they are easier on my back and feet, I love my giant single basin sink (and that's how I wash the 16 quart stockpot and half sheet baking pans that would never fit into a double basin sink), I would never hang up a mangy damp towel, a fresh one comes out when I cook and then goes into the laundry, I can keep a dishtub in the sink if I need one.

There's more but I'm not going to bother. The point is that plenty of people do things differently than you do, yet actually cook every bit as much or more than you do.

Old 05-21-2017, 03:19 PM

41,974 posts, read 75,239,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooting Stars View Post
Which looks better to you?
Neither; they're all hideous no matter what colors you put on the walls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooting Stars View Post
She is a decorator and color expert who is well respected.
Sez you.

Quote:
She would not have designed the kitchen layout or elements as is.
Well, I suppose that's somewhat of a comfort, since that kitchen is so badly put together the only thing to do would be to rip it out and start over.

Quote:
Here are the few kitchens pictures that I took from model homes in Reno, NV
Give me your critiques!
Hideous! All of them. Why are "designers" making kitchens so busy? Do they not realize what goes on in kitchens - you know, messy cooking and eating. I want something simple, with clean lines that are easy to clean up after.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
Why are those kitchens in the living room? I love salmon but I don't want my couch to stink of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Ferris View Post
Why does the woman spell it "colour" and work in Chicago?
She's an expert.

Quote:
People in this forum must have very high standard. The kitchen I posted are from high end home with high end finish.
Actually, mine are pretty low. I want a functional kitchen that's easy to move around in and easy to clean and maintain. None of those horrific model kitchens fit that bill.

I don't care if my kitchen is trendy or if any snooty designer likes it or not. All that matters is that it's a comfortable, pleasant place to prepare and eat a meal.

Quote:
LOL, speak for yourself. I cook every day - sometimes even multiple times a day. How shocking ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating