Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2017, 03:55 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,085,192 times

Advertisements

Look at the money that people spend on a kitchen remodel and neglect to include a drawer base cabinet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2017, 09:15 AM

1,915 posts, read 1,482,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nn2036 View Post
Here are the few kitchens pictures that I took from model homes in Reno, NV
Give me your critiques!
What a fun thread! I've actually been thinking about updating my kitchen, but since I am moving in five years (and I found out the costs), I won't do it. But kitchens have been on my mind.

Honestly, none of the kitchen you posted are to my taste. I guess if I had to verbalize it, they are all just too heavy and too gaudy. First of all, the kitchen are just too big for me. I like a smaller, more functional kitchen. I would rather have a big walk-in closet off the kitchen, with shelves, for storage than all those cabinets. I don't like the islands at all. They just look in the way. Everything is just too ornate too (gaudy in my opinion). And I really hate all those glass cabinets. One dish in each to make it look nice? Seems like a waste of space (maybe that's why the kitchens are so big, because of wasted space)?

I tried looking online for a picture of what I like, but it's hard to find because one of the most important aspects of a kitchen to me is to be able to move from the fridge, sink, and stove/oven efficiently and most pictures I find online can't capture the whole kitchen layout or they have huge islands in the way. The best I could find is this one:

I don't like the colors at all (too gray and too dark) or those drop down lights. But the overall layout of the kitchen and it's size would work for me (and I like a window over the sink). Even that island would work because it's not in the way. I could see myself putting cooling racks on it and putting cookies straight out of the oven onto the racks. I like the simple cabinet style too while it wouldn't be my first pick, it's similar to something I would pick. I would just pick lighter, warmer colors for the kitchen (get rid of the gloomy gray). Maybe something like this color countertop and pull the other warm colors (for the walls and floor) from it:

Old 05-22-2017, 11:50 AM

37,626 posts, read 46,035,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaLind View Post
What a fun thread! I've actually been thinking about updating my kitchen, but since I am moving in five years (and I found out the costs), I won't do it. But kitchens have been on my mind.

Honestly, none of the kitchen you posted are to my taste. I guess if I had to verbalize it, they are all just too heavy and too gaudy. First of all, the kitchen are just too big for me. I like a smaller, more functional kitchen. I would rather have a big walk-in closet off the kitchen, with shelves, for storage than all those cabinets. I don't like the islands at all. They just look in the way. Everything is just too ornate too (gaudy in my opinion). And I really hate all those glass cabinets. One dish in each to make it look nice? Seems like a waste of space (maybe that's why the kitchens are so big, because of wasted space)?

I tried looking online for a picture of what I like, but it's hard to find because one of the most important aspects of a kitchen to me is to be able to move from the fridge, sink, and stove/oven efficiently and most pictures I find online can't capture the whole kitchen layout or they have huge islands in the way. The best I could find is this one:

I don't like the colors at all (too gray and too dark) or those drop down lights. But the overall layout of the kitchen and it's size would work for me (and I like a window over the sink). Even that island would work because it's not in the way. I could see myself putting cooling racks on it and putting cookies straight out of the oven onto the racks. I like the simple cabinet style too while it wouldn't be my first pick, it's similar to something I would pick. I would just pick lighter, warmer colors for the kitchen (get rid of the gloomy gray). Maybe something like this color countertop and pull the other warm colors (for the walls and floor) from it:
Just shows how different our tastes all are. I much prefer a cool bright kitchen. I have had "warm" dark and dreary for too many years. That granite is just so dark to me.

Old 05-22-2017, 12:02 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,227,947 times
I agree about prioritizing a working area in the kitchen. A lot of those model home ones are too big to be easily functional IMO. My last kitchen was deceiving in that when I first looked at it, I thought it looked great - tons of cabinets, lots of counter space. But it turned out it was not laid out well AT ALL. I really disliked cooking in it because of that.

With my new kitchen, I pantomimed cooking a meal in it, to make sure that it was going to work right for me, and it does. I cooked before out of necessity and now, much more of it is enjoyment. Part of this is because I love my open floor plan, and the fact that I can have the TV on and watch what I want, or get to interact with the kiddo playing video games, that is a big part of the enjoyment.

Old 05-22-2017, 12:29 PM

1,915 posts, read 1,482,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Just shows how different our tastes all are. I much prefer a cool bright kitchen. I have had "warm" dark and dreary for too many years. That granite is just so dark to me.
Yep! Viva the different tastes!

Although you know what's funny to me. I'm in my starter home and the previous owners installed black/brown granite and the kitchen has dark brown cabinets, medium brown hardwood, and black appliances and one one light in the middle of the room. That granite I picked is so much brighter than what I have now (my current kitchen is darker than the one in the picture). So dark can be relative too.

Old 05-22-2017, 02:36 PM

37,626 posts, read 46,035,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaLind View Post
Yep! Viva the different tastes!

Although you know what's funny to me. I'm in my starter home and the previous owners installed black/brown granite and the kitchen has dark brown cabinets, medium brown hardwood, and black appliances and one one light in the middle of the room. That granite I picked is so much brighter than what I have now (my current kitchen is darker than the one in the picture). So dark can be relative too.
Oh I agree. I have never liked granite due to the colors and general busy look of it. I am going for a white quartz myself, but there are quartzes in all colors, light and dark. I actually was originally considering a black quartz with the sparkles (Stellar Night by Silestone, I think) but realized I just love the lighter look best.

Old 05-22-2017, 04:23 PM

630 posts, read 658,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
Oh KA, you silly thing, thinking about the actual function of a kitchen! Don't you know that kitchens are no longer places to prepare food; they are places to show off how fashionable you are!

I read the article, which as someone else points out is really nothing more than a big advertisement for a "kitchen designer". First thing I noticed is the assumption that of course you will have wood floors in your kitchen. Right off the bat, all credibility is lost to me, someone who actually cooks in his kitchen. If you put wood floors in your kitchen, when (not if) the inevitable big water spill or leak occurs, you will have a he!! of a mess. Look at commercial kitchens. They use linoleum squares, linoleum sheet, or roughish surface tile.

Did you even read the article ? The subject kitchen uses tile that mimicks wood.

The rest of the article is about color choices, not about kitchen placement and workflow design.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating