Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2017, 02:44 PM

5,853 posts, read 5,284,845 times

Advertisements

Years ago when Hubby & I started our business of buying junk & selling antiques, we started going to auctions. At EVERY auction there was furniture. Some were absolutely beautiful. I remember there was a dinning room set that was gorgeous but it was immense. We didn't have the room for it but man, it went REALLY cheap-I can't remember exactly but they practically gave it away. It was at that particular auction that I realized that I love furniture. I watch t.v. and I found myself looking in the background at the furniture. lol.

Over the years of going to auctions, I have seen a lot of beautiful pieces of furniture go for next to nothing. That is UNTIL there is something that we want. lol.

It actually started BEFORE we bought our beautiful house. We decided to redo our dinning room. It was a small room but the first thing we needed was a new table. We had a nice table but it was really small. With our family growing, we needed something that everyone can sit at. We found an antique one with 7 leaves. Talk about getting it for a steal-we were the only bidders and our opening bid was $100. (We thought if we let him go down any lower, more people would bid.)

We then got some chairs. I THOUGHT they were antique but when we bought them home and flipped them over, I found a tag from the "mattress police." Yeah, they were about the 1970s or so but look antique. We are pretty happy with them.

One day when we had the whole clan, we couldn't get the last leaf in. Everyone had a place to sit but no one could get around the table. lol. (Not the best pic, sorry.)

I wanted to get a china cabinet. But, one auction they were offering this baby:

No, we didn't get this baby for a steal. We did pay a lot for it but not as much if we bought it somewhere else.

That was followed with a few dressers and such.

(Ignore the stamp machine. lol)

Then when we bought the house, we finally had room to put all these wonderful pieces of furniture. Now the table can really fit in the dinning room. And we bought more chairs.

Pic was taken before we really got settled in. You can see the two sets of chairs we bought.

But now the house is pretty full but I STILL love furniture. I still drool when a nice piece comes up at auction and we don't have any place to put it.

Anyone out there love furniture, too? If so, please post some pics of pieces that you love so I can drool over them. lol.

Cat
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2017, 05:55 PM

I guess no one else loves furniture.

Cat

Old 05-23-2017, 06:04 PM

6,005 posts, read 4,789,749 times
I love furniture!

However, I actively search for furniture that is not antique because I paint the furniture I find. Have been doing it since 1988! I don't do just a solid color... I do art furniture... treat the piece like it's a canvas. Some of my favorites are the old radio cabinets (with the radios taken out.) They're perfect size for a small decorative piece (and there's some storage inside, which is nice.)

The pieces you have are lovely and I'd never paint them, before you get ready to cuff me up.

My sister found a lovely dining room hutch in Savannah, GA. It's incredible... looks like it was taken out of a European castle and she did get it for a steal.

I bought a dining room table for $50 down in Beaufort, SC. The dealer had it in his waaaay back room. As I was following him out behind his building I thought, "Gawd, am I an idiot? A guy tells me he has a perfect table for me and I just follow him like I'm a puppy dog?" But it turned out that he DID have this beautiful long, incredibly sturdy dining room table and really did sell it to me for $50. I planned to stain it a deep espresso color but ended up leaving it "as is." I believe it must have come from a school. It's got character.

The chandeliers in your last photo are pretty, too.

Old 05-23-2017, 06:15 PM

630 posts, read 658,342 times
Hey I love to collect modern chairs. I'm out of room now unfortunately

Old 05-24-2017, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicci6Squirrels View Post
I love furniture!

However, I actively search for furniture that is not antique because I paint the furniture I find. Have been doing it since 1988! I don't do just a solid color... I do art furniture... treat the piece like it's a canvas. Some of my favorites are the old radio cabinets (with the radios taken out.) They're perfect size for a small decorative piece (and there's some storage inside, which is nice.)

The pieces you have are lovely and I'd never paint them, before you get ready to cuff me up.

My sister found a lovely dining room hutch in Savannah, GA. It's incredible... looks like it was taken out of a European castle and she did get it for a steal.

I bought a dining room table for $50 down in Beaufort, SC. The dealer had it in his waaaay back room. As I was following him out behind his building I thought, "Gawd, am I an idiot? A guy tells me he has a perfect table for me and I just follow him like I'm a puppy dog?" But it turned out that he DID have this beautiful long, incredibly sturdy dining room table and really did sell it to me for $50. I planned to stain it a deep espresso color but ended up leaving it "as is." I believe it must have come from a school. It's got character.

The chandeliers in your last photo are pretty, too.

I would love to see some of the pieces that you did.

Thanks for your comment on the chandeliers. They were an Amazon find-new. They had to be new because they had to match. Very hard to find antique that match. BTW, there was a while I felt like I was collecting chandeliers. lol.

Cat

Old 05-24-2017, 11:22 AM

2,509 posts, read 2,498,809 times
Your stuff is so pretty. I love it. We've been buying up brown furniture like crazy on Craigslist for a song.
Not antique, but good quality
Turns out I'm the only one who likes brown ornate furniture with the Louis XIV legs anymore
When we go to pick it up, sometimes I see what people replaced the piece with and I chuckle

Old 05-24-2017, 11:27 AM

10,093 posts, read 6,439,011 times
Oh, I'm an antique furniture junkie as well. I really have too much for my small house at present, although I still need a glass-front bookcase or curio cabinet for my antique pottery, and a Victorian dresser for my main bedroom. I've actually stopped going to my favorite auction house so that I won't be tempted to buy something I love, but really have no space for. It's been hard, that's for sure!

Old 05-24-2017, 11:55 AM

Here's a radio cabinet I did a few years back. It had some damage on the sides that I repaired before painting.

Old 05-24-2017, 11:57 AM

Here is a slightly larger radio cabinet that I also did. It's sitting in my living room right now.

And this is a small chair, similar to a high chair that I found at a thrift store and painted:

Old 05-24-2017, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicci6Squirrels View Post
Here's a radio cabinet I did a few years back. It had some damage on the sides that I repaired before painting.

I really like this one. I like your other ones, too but this is my favorite of the ones you posted.

Cat
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating