Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2017, 08:33 AM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,487 posts, read 3,338,908 times

Advertisements

Hubby weighs 230+. I weigh 130. We got by on full size before.

For temporary visits, it is entirely doable. If not, do what you did and get the air mattress.

For the OP's situation, it would be marvelous for visitors if a couple stayed. They would each have a full to sleep on!! Big win!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2017, 08:53 AM

10,048 posts, read 18,072,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldKlas View Post
Yes, I would ditch the full-sized bed. Just because one has something doesn't mean they HAVE to use or live with it. Maybe someone with a twin will swap. Maybe give it away or sell it. I never use stuff just to "make do" if I really care about the result.
Quote:
I weigh 140 lbs, and my DH weighs 165 lbs. So, both normal sized people. My MIL had a full sized bed and we could not comfortably share it. We would find any excuse to book a hotel room when we visited and it got her upset. So finally we bought an air mattress and left it at her place so one of us could sleep on that. Anyone who has hot flashes, or is a restless sleeper cannot comfortably share a full sized bed. Women get hot flashes from their late 40's onward; that's excluding a lot of people from sleeping comfortably if they have to share a full sized bed.

Really recommend if using a full, get another bed or futon too.
Well, that's ^^^ what a bunch of us recommended earlier in this thread, and seems to be what the OP will do: have TWO beds in this room. And from the beginning she was thinking she would probably do that, with one of the beds being the full-size one that she already HAS. So the question was more, will 2 full-size beds fit? (And the answer is yes, if you read previous posts.) I think the OP briefly considered a full-size and a twin, but I don't think that would work well (and that seems to be a consensus).

It sounds like you thought there would be only 1 bed and it would be full-size? That's not the case. I am wondering if you missed a few posts where these things were suggested?

(But also, again, a full-size bed for most couples would be perfectly fine for the short term. I'm 58 and had hot flashes for a few months, then never again. Not all women have them from their late 40s, on [although I'm sure many do, and it must be miserable].)

Old 07-13-2017, 09:57 AM

11,011 posts, read 11,024,526 times
So why the two beds and why am I considering two full sized beds? My parents are the most common visitors. They're elderly and prefer to sleep in their own beds now. The two bed option would give them each their own bed. I am 100% leaning towards doing two full beds, I just wanted it to not look stupid or shoved in there. Even though it's just a guest house, I do like to fluff my nest, so to speak so I would like it to look nice. Many of you have provided some very pretty examples. I really like the idea of doing iron/metal beds with a open headboard which would not block the window visually too much.

Of note, buying the uber expensive full sized mattress set was actually a bit of a mistake but one I had to eat. I purchased what I thought was a new queen set for my daughter when we were in the process of moving. Had it delivered but the bed frame itself was taking longer. We kept looking at it askance because it seemed smaller but I was so sure I bought the right size and our linens were in boxes so we were just using temporary blankets (which would also have told us it was the wrong size). For the week until her frame was delivered, she slept in it (thus now past the point of return). Once the bed frame was delivered, we quickly discovered our error which led to yet another mattress set purchase. There's no way I'm going to throw away over a $1000 and not use this full sized mattress set somehow. Enter the guest house.

Old 07-13-2017, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
So why the two beds and why am I considering two full sized beds? My parents are the most common visitors. They're elderly and prefer to sleep in their own beds now. The two bed option would give them each their own bed. I am 100% leaning towards doing two full beds, I just wanted it to not look stupid or shoved in there. Even though it's just a guest house, I do like to fluff my nest, so to speak so I would like it to look nice. Many of you have provided some very pretty examples. I really like the idea of doing iron/metal beds with a open headboard which would not block the window visually too much.

Of note, buying the uber expensive full sized mattress set was actually a bit of a mistake but one I had to eat. I purchased what I thought was a new queen set for my daughter when we were in the process of moving. Had it delivered but the bed frame itself was taking longer. We kept looking at it askance because it seemed smaller but I was so sure I bought the right size and our linens were in boxes so we were just using temporary blankets (which would also have told us it was the wrong size). For the week until her frame was delivered, she slept in it (thus now past the point of return). Once the bed frame was delivered, we quickly discovered our error which led to yet another mattress set purchase. There's no way I'm going to throw away over a $1000 and not use this full sized mattress set somehow. Enter the guest house.
I don't blame you! I personally think the 2 full beds is perfect for your parents.

Old 07-14-2017, 12:43 PM

8,170 posts, read 6,035,273 times
Quote:
Yes, I would ditch the full-sized bed. Just because one has something doesn't mean they HAVE to use or live with it. Maybe someone with a twin will swap. Maybe give it away or sell it. I never use stuff just to "make do" if I really care about the result.
Ditto. I would probably put one queen size bed in the room and make another sleeping option in the living room.

What is the purpose of the guest house? Adult children with their children? Multiple Adult couples? I hate sharing a room with another adult couple or children. If I was in that predicament, I would not want two beds in the room.

Old 07-14-2017, 12:46 PM

8,170 posts, read 6,035,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robino1 View Post
I don't blame you! I personally think the 2 full beds is perfect for your parents.
With that, I agree. I was thinking two adult couples originally.

Old 07-14-2017, 01:02 PM

Nevermind.....

Old 07-15-2017, 02:07 PM

139 posts, read 129,776 times
normally you don't want a bed up against a window. it makes people feel ill at ease. if you follow that you're basically left with the two walls opposite each other. do you really need two beds? could you have the bed you already own against one wall and put a day bed or pull out sofa on the other wall?

Old 07-15-2017, 03:11 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,161,541 times
I would consider putting the bed opposite the windowless wall. Against the windowless wall, i'd put a hidabed. Above the hideabedi'd hang a TV. Once you do that, you can arrange everthing else around those pieces.

I don't think you need a bureau unless you normally have guests stay over a week. You seem to have a nice closet for guests to use.

In terms of decoratng, I recommend using your regular style. I think you'll want an sizeable area rug and at least one piece of art for a blank stretch of wall. You also need bedside tables with lighting, a trash can, a mirror that is well lit and perhapss a mini fridge. Don't forget to add a place to charge personal electronics.

I recommend thnking about comfort things first. What thngs do you like to see in a guest room? Then work around the things you know you want to supply, such as good lighting for bedside reading. Don't forget that guests need tissues, lighting, privacy, and a place to unpack a bag if they plan to stay longer than a day.

Old 07-15-2017, 04:31 PM

10,048 posts, read 18,072,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklynnomad View Post
normally you don't want a bed up against a window. it makes people feel ill at ease. if you follow that you're basically left with the two walls opposite each other. do you really need two beds? could you have the bed you already own against one wall and put a day bed or pull out sofa on the other wall?
Utterly ridiculous (the bolded part). Where on earth are you getting this?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
I would consider putting the bed opposite the windowless wall. Against the windowless wall, i'd put a hidabed. Above the hideabedi'd hang a TV. Once you do that, you can arrange everthing else around those pieces. ...
Silibran, did you read through this whole thread? The OP pretty much decided on TWO BEDS (that was probably the main question of this thread) so I can't figure out why you are writing about "the bed" ... (See, for example, post #33, which came after a discussion ...)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating