Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2017, 03:34 PM

3,248 posts, read 2,457,038 times

Advertisements

What color do you prefer as a neutral? Or do you just not have any neutrals and like bold colors? Just curious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2017, 05:00 PM

1,217 posts, read 2,836,684 times
Gray bores me, 25 years ago I loved it.
As a neutral I like a medium light beige tending slightly to the gray side, not yellowish gray, not reddish, blueish or greenish beige.

I also like a neutral white, not bright white, in a large room with paintings on the wall and colorful carpet.

The only "color" I can envision as a neutral would be a neutral yellow but it's hard to pull that off.
I did use silver gray with a strie faux finish on one wall of our renovated guest bath. Looks great because it leans toward silver not flat gray.

So that's another good neutral, silver, but needs to be broken up so it's not flashy and reflective.

I could never have a bold color on the wall, prefer colors coming from the paintings on the wall and carpets and pillows.

Old 09-28-2017, 06:22 PM

14,488 posts, read 12,121,454 times
I like grey for the outside, Just painted my house grey. But I see it as an exterior color.

Old 09-28-2017, 06:42 PM

61,729 posts, read 87,147,355 times
I am not really fond of some depressing grey shades, but grey it’s the sort of color that complements a full spectrum of shades, from bold red to mellow ivory.
As for other colors - I noticed that whites, beiges, pale grays, camel, and blush pink are super on-trend right now. Also greens ares coming back, especially mint and emerald.
I am happy about that - enough of the neutrals - time for bold colors!

The color really depends on the size of the room, the natural light, the color of furniture and your accessories, even the purpose of the room, and of course your personal preferences.

Old 09-29-2017, 12:17 AM

156 posts, read 303,454 times
I love off-whites, taupes, and pale colors. I do love elephants Breath by Farrow and ball for a gray.

Old 09-29-2017, 05:03 AM

5,014 posts, read 6,605,097 times
I like almost-grays. My living room is done is a lavender gray on the blue side of the hue. Depending on the time of day, it doesn't read as any particular color; only in bright western light does the lavender really show through. The rest of the time, it disappears and just the furnishings and trim show up.

Old 09-29-2017, 05:37 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,195,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emotiioo View Post
What color do you prefer as a neutral? Or do you just not have any neutrals and like bold colors? Just curious.
I am on the bold colour side, but I do use various grey and beige shades for covings and it has looked terrific.

Also I live an an apartment where all the floors are large squares of grey & beige marbled tiles, so to use similar colors are on the walls (even if I had wanted to) would have created a tomb-like atmosphere.

Old 09-29-2017, 08:00 AM

3,546 posts, read 3,116,660 times
My homes have always been tropical. I like various sand colors, with a few rooms done in a pale tropical color. The tropical colors have varied from house to house but are always muted, so I wouldn't call it bold. Our new house has the library, the sun room, and the master bathroom painted a soft, pale mango that's really just a blush of color.

Old 09-29-2017, 08:03 AM

3,546 posts, read 3,116,660 times
When we were looking at homes this spring we saw a few different homes that used a muted green as a neutral. It was particularly effective in rooms with large windows overlooking gardens. It was sort of a pale sage-y green with gray undertones, but definitely not gray. Since we saw it in a few homes, we were wondering if it was a new trend or just a Williamsburg thing.

Old 09-29-2017, 10:38 AM

18,471 posts, read 31,643,914 times
Back n the 90's i had my living room and hallways painted a darkiish gray with a border around the top, yes, very 90's, but it looked nice, and I had the bedroom painted a lighter gray, as my floors were light gray parquet. it was striking and pretty, black accessories.but that was long ago and Im over that decor, it has changed several time already.

But if i had to have a neutral color, Id go with the taupes, light biege, i think it is warmer and goes with more decor than the grays

to me, gray and brown, do not go at all, in fact, I think they look terrible together, kind of like orange and pink...

so if furniture is brown, the walls should not be gray.

So, I do not hate gray paint, but Im over it in the houme alredy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating