Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2012, 06:19 PM

10,049 posts, read 18,062,046 times

Advertisements

So many of you inspired me to repurpose a TV console (in another thread) that when I saw this jewelry armoire, I immediately started thinking about how ELSE it might be used.

Here's the jewelry armoire closed:

And here it is open:

I just love how it looks, and I've been thinking about it as "a cabinet with lots of small drawers." So I was thinking of using it in my dining room for storage of linens, small food items, even tools that I want to have accessible. I don't know what I'd use the hooks for ... utensils? I guess I could get creative after getting it, if I decide to.

Any thoughts? What would YOU use it for?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2012, 06:28 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,350,941 times
That is really pretty! I would use it to store my beading supplies and tools. It would be in plain sight, easy to access, and it looks nice to boot!

Right now I have my stuff in a decorative chest but it is all stacked in and not easily accessible.

Old 12-15-2012, 06:33 PM

Hey Pik, that's a great idea to steal from you ... if I did beading! I wish I were more "crafty" but I don't have much talent in that area.

Do you think it could work in my dining room? (I want a reason to buy it, I think ...)

Old 12-15-2012, 06:36 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,350,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
Hey Pik, that's a great idea to steal from you ... if I did beading! I wish I were more "crafty" but I don't have much talent in that area.

Do you think it could work in my dining room? (I want a reason to buy it, I think ...)
..for Kitty Katty...

If you have silver or fancy napkins, etc, you could put them in there. If the drawers on the bottom are bigger, you could put your table cloths and runners.

I don't have any of that stuff, not do I have a dining room, so I don't know.

Old 12-15-2012, 06:37 PM

lol, Kitty Katty needs his own jewelry armoire? Actually he could use it for his costumes/wigs!

Old 12-15-2012, 08:37 PM

5,035 posts, read 9,221,243 times
I think the piece would look lovely in a dining room.

Would one side work as a "candle" side, where you could hang a couple of pretty snuffers and a long-handled lighter?

Assuming you'd be opening it when company is in the room, if you can't figure out what to do with the sides, another idea is to remove the hooks and backing and replace it with pretty paper.

I would also like that armoire near a door that doesn't have an entryway, to use for scarves, gloves, knit hats, ear muffs, etc. When I wasn't expecting visitors, I might even toss my handbag right on the top for convenience.

Old 12-15-2012, 08:51 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,019,531 times
What are the measurements?

Old 12-15-2012, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheyDee View Post
I think the piece would look lovely in a dining room.

Would one side work as a "candle" side, where you could hang a couple of pretty snuffers and a long-handled lighter?

Assuming you'd be opening it when company is in the room, if you can't figure out what to do with the sides, another idea is to remove the hooks and backing and replace it with pretty paper.

I would also like that armoire near a door that doesn't have an entryway, to use for scarves, gloves, knit hats, ear muffs, etc. When I wasn't expecting visitors, I might even toss my handbag right on the top for convenience.
Love the idea of using at the (main) entryway. It's only 12" deep so wouldn't even take up much room. The only "problem" is that it would rarely be used, since I normally enter through the TV room, which is right off the garage.

I also love the idea of re-doing the sides, if I can't figure out how to use the hooks. (OTOH they would work for keys near an entryway, wouldn't they?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
What are the measurements?
Sorry, I should have included that info in the first post! It is 16" wide by 46" high by 12" deep. Apparently none of the drawers have dividers, which is surprising given that it is for jewelry, but makes it easier to repurpose! It has a rating of 4.9 out of 5 from 8 reviewers.

Thanks for the replies so far! I will rep everyone when I can (although I think everyone who's replied so far, I've rep'd you too recently so I will keep trying!)

Old 12-15-2012, 09:46 PM

2,186 posts, read 4,571,870 times
Hi Karen....that is a beautiful piece. I can understand your wanting it - but truthfully if I didn't have an exact use for it I would probably keep it in mind and not get it. You could possibly use it for storing your electronic devices and put a couple of different chargers in there so you could just pop your cell phone or I-Pad or whatever in there, shut the door and let it charge while out of sight (and cat attack range - our kids love to bat them around and unplug them before the charge is complete). You could stash office supplies in it or put use it to store household extras like candles, light bulbs, emergency supplies, etc. Without knowing how deep the drawers are not sure if tablecloths and napkins would fit into it or not, but probably placemats or seasonal goods or decorations. I would probably put it somewhere near an outlet with a small lamp near or on it, or a pretty vase with some fresh or quality silk flowers for decoration. I could forsee that being an ideal lookout spot for an afternoon nap for a fur wearing family member (Hansel?). I think it would look spectacular regardless, and I am liking your taste in furnishings. Good luck with your projects....

Old 12-15-2012, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFoulke View Post
Hi Karen....that is a beautiful piece. I can understand your wanting it - but truthfully if I didn't have an exact use for it I would probably keep it in mind and not get it. You could possibly use it for storing your electronic devices and put a couple of different chargers in there so you could just pop your cell phone or I-Pad or whatever in there, shut the door and let it charge while out of sight (and cat attack range - our kids love to bat them around and unplug them before the charge is complete). You could stash office supplies in it or put use it to store household extras like candles, light bulbs, emergency supplies, etc. Without knowing how deep the drawers are not sure if tablecloths and napkins would fit into it or not, but probably placemats or seasonal goods or decorations. I would probably put it somewhere near an outlet with a small lamp near or on it, or a pretty vase with some fresh or quality silk flowers for decoration. I could forsee that being an ideal lookout spot for an afternoon nap for a fur wearing family member (Hansel?). I think it would look spectacular regardless, and I am liking your taste in furnishings. Good luck with your projects....
<sigh> Yeah, I know I should NEED it (and have a specific use for it) before I buy it, but I rarely splurge (e.g. bought an HDTV cabinet months ago, but haven't gotten around to buying an HDTV when my old tube TVs are still perfectly functional). This isn't too expensive, so I may just go for it and then find a place/specific use for it once it's here.

I love the idea of using one of the drawers as a charger (how creative!!), but that would require making a hole in the back ... which is fine if I always use it against a wall (very likely). It would also work great for office supplies or things like light bulbs. And what I would have given for a one-stop cabinet for flashlights, batteries, etc. when we had the hurricane a couple of months ago! So you've given me a lot to think about. And lol, I can imagine a kitty taking a snooze on it, although probably not Hansel, since he usually wants to hang out with me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating