Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2018, 11:45 AM

7,572 posts, read 9,019,188 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Thank you - I really like her style. By the way, I also liked that she said how normal it is to freak out over choosing paint colors for walls, ceiling and trim all together. And thankfully I think she would agree with the blue ceiling color I ended up with.

My designer came by last night to see the finished ceilings and the minute she walked in she exclaimed, "Oh my gosh, this looks FABULOUS! OK, this was your idea, right? Well, I'm stealing it - expect to see it on my FB page and other places because I will be recommending this combo in the future! But I'll give you the credit." I said, "Don't worry about that - my lips are sealed but yes, I do love love love it!"

This designer posted a photo of a John Singer Sargent painting, "Repose," and it has the exact same color scheme going on! She said, "Look for inspiration in classical paintings," so that was comforting.

I'm feeling good! They should be finished with the walls and ceilings today!
It sounds wonderful - nice of her to take credit for your ideas but that a nice credit to you. Myvbe you missed your calling and should have been a designer.

At the very bottom (near bottom) of Laurel's daily blogs she will list 5 or so previous blogs and links within her blogs, usually a light blue that is barely noticeable, about various subjects, Good reading. She can keep me busy for hours (shame shame - no time for all that)

Good luck with your painting - very exciting to have something new and different!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2018, 12:02 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,914,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
It sounds wonderful - nice of her to take credit for your ideas but that a nice credit to you. Myvbe you missed your calling and should have been a designer.

At the very bottom (near bottom) of Laurel's daily blogs she will list 5 or so previous blogs and links within her blogs, usually a light blue that is barely noticeable, about various subjects, Good reading. She can keep me busy for hours (shame shame - no time for all that)

Good luck with your painting - very exciting to have something new and different!!

Thank you - they are busy as bees painting the trim throughout the front of the house and stairwell now and what a job! Better them than me!

It just looks smashing.

To address the "white is the preferred color for ceilings" comment (not by you), I will say this. Some people prefer it, some don't. I don't, generally speaking - not with heavy white crown molding in my house. I am sure it looks great in some homes and may look great in a home I own one day, but in this house, with the very tall ceilings and lots of crown molding, and great light from many windows, the pale blue ceilings look absolutely spectacular.

My designer told me last night and again this morning "You are a designer at heart - you have been from the start - I knew it the minute we started working together." That was nice of her. I DO really really enjoy interior design and worked for several years as an interior decorator (not designer, no degree, but I made a nice living doing it!). But my strong suit is fabrics and textures, not flooring and paint colors - not saying I can't choose them but I'm just not as confident about those things, so it's been great to know I've done a good job and that a bona fide interior designer likes my ideas enough to "copy them!"

I cannot wait for all this to get done! I'm sure my social media friends are getting tired of me posting pictures of ceilings and going "oooh, ahhh, ooooh, ahhhh!"

Old 12-04-2018, 12:04 PM

5,126 posts, read 7,409,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post

Laurel is excellent. I linked to her post about choosing blue paint earlier in this thread.

She also sells resource guides for furniture and accessories along with her paint guides. She won a recent blogger contest among a lot of contenders recently, and it was well deserved!

Old 12-04-2018, 12:22 PM

Quote:

My designer told me last night and again this morning "You are a designer at heart - you have been from the start - I knew it the minute we started working together." That was nice of her. I DO really really enjoy interior design and worked for several years as an interior decorator (not designer, no degree, but I made a nice living doing it!).

But my strong suit is fabrics and textures, not flooring and paint colors - not saying I can't choose them but I'm just not as confident about those things, so it's been great to know I've done a good job and that a bona fide interior designer likes my ideas enough to "copy them!"
Some of the most innovative and legendary designers in the business, don't have a degree. To be sure, you have to still work at gaining knowledge, but design ability isn't conferred by a piece of paper.

There is a lot of internal turmoil in the ASID over the designation of "interior designer" and they have worked behind the scenes to put a choke hold on anyone who dares to design without a degree. They've had some success and some failures with influencing the laws in various states.

The only place where licensing should matter is for designers who design hotels and hospitals, because you need the necessary courses about things like fire-retardant furnishings and other issues like safety exits. But if you are designing a house, it's ridiculous.

Laurel writes about top designers without degrees here ---> https://laurelberninteriors.com/2017...raining-scary/

Joni at the Cote de Texas blog has done the most comprehensive write up about the ASID crazies: https://cotedetexas.blogspot.com/200...f-control.html

This post is about Texas specifically: https://cotedetexas.blogspot.com/201...or-design.html

Cote de Texas is so photo-heavy that pages take a while to load.

Old 12-04-2018, 01:01 PM

Wow thank you!

I work a lot (for free, and I don't mind that because it's fun) with friends near and far. They know I will always drop what I'm doing to run over and look at fabrics, furnishings, etc. and why not go shopping together for stuff? I like that I do it for free because then if it looks like crap - well, they got what they paid for.

Just kidding - so far so good, but at least there's no pressure!

I just spent this past Saturday morning at a friend's new house discussing paint, furniture and accessory options. Like basically all of my friends, her taste is different from mine and also, none of us are fabulously wealthy and besides that, they all (like me) have pieces they want or need to keep, or they love them so much they don't want to scrap them but they would consider putting them somewhere unexpected. So as a non designer working for free, I can work with just about any budget (or no budget - let's just move stuff around!).

But this has been a great learning experience for me regarding paint and light and all that. For a few days my dining room looked like a patchwork quilt of colors! In the past, I've basically chosen a color I love and just crossed my fingers and hoped it turned out - and thankfully it always has but I realized recently that was just luck of the draw. In fact, it scares me how lucky I've been. But I knew the light (morning light, facing northeast) in the front of the house, while the windows are generous, is tricky so that's why I was so much more careful this time.

That and noticing that just about every decorating magazine I look at is now showing extra special attention to the ceilings - the fifth wall, if you will. So I figure it's time I do the same.

Old 12-04-2018, 01:46 PM

7,572 posts, read 9,019,188 times
I have always been very interested in I- Design also - I get this tingly feeling when looking at/reading articles about it or walking through shops.

I had an old 1925 English Tudor in Mpls and when I bought it - OMG - it was a mess, it would have been perfect for a Steven King movie. I was very poor so it was a slow process just getting the grit & grime washed off plus plugging all the holes in the walls. Eventually I did a full remodel of the kitchen/garage where I added a sunken family room off the kitchen. Turned out nice - USA Today came out and did a story on it.

I almost went to design school but was a security freak and went to a regular "U" instead then worked for corporate America. Never got that tingly feeling working there

Shooting Stars - So you're familiar with Laurel also - so funny. Her humor isn't for everyone but I like it. Like KA - I have just been lucky when choosing colors - never considered lighting or North vs South windows. It worked but now I realize just how bad it could have been.

I have to get off this dam- computer and get busy.

Old 12-04-2018, 07:10 PM

37,611 posts, read 45,988,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooting Stars View Post
I'm not sure what you mean by "research", because all the design magazines and web sites are featuring rooms with ceilings painted every color under the sun.
Research, meaning, what colors are best for ceilings in a home, generally.

I'm happy with my findings, so yes I vote for white. I do think it is best. As I said, you can choose whatever you like.

Old 12-04-2018, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post

Research, meaning, what colors are best for ceilings in a home, generally.

I'm happy with my findings, so yes I vote for white. I do think it is best. As I said, you can choose whatever you like.
Yes, I understood what you were researching, i.e. ceiling paint colors.

I thought it was clear that I was questioning where you were researching, since your findings are restrictive, and are neither taught nor accepted in the interior design industry.

Old 12-05-2018, 08:25 AM

50,371 posts, read 63,964,084 times
Quote:
Here's looking into the kitchen from the hall that runs between the front and the back of the house (I know that may not make sense but that's how it works around here!). I was worried about the different colors but you can see into the kitchen and see that the green is so pale that it's really a neutral. Good question. The ceilings are a very light version of the soft gray green of the kitchen.
I call this, “stacking”. I don’t know if I made it up, or read it somewhere, but you stand in different areas of your house and see all the flat planes in your view, and how they compliment each other.

Very pretty, KA.

Old 12-05-2018, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I call this, “stacking”. I don’t know if I made it up, or read it somewhere, but you stand in different areas of your house and see all the flat planes in your view, and how they compliment each other.

Very pretty, KA.

Thank you and yes, I think "stacking" surely must be a term. My husband says I'm the queen of layering which is also stacking - LOL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating