Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2019, 06:45 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,493,788 times

Advertisements

We have maple cabinets. No way would I paint them. Oak maybe but not maple.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2019, 02:39 PM

249 posts, read 196,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reebo View Post
...So, if you have had your cabinets painted professionally, how are they holding up and how long ago were they painted? Thanks.
Yes, but we painted them ourselves 7 years ago. The cabinets were orangey oak, and we painted them dark walnut, but we also used a protective coating.

Overall, the painting has stood up well to four people, including two teens, but once in a while, I'll see a chip, but the touch-up is quick and easy.

I'll include pictures. The first is how they looked when we bought it. The next is now, and I added a close up. Dark cabinets don't appeal to all people, but they hide imperfections much better than white or cream IMO, and our cabinets were factory, not custom, so they had problems.
Attached Thumbnails
Have you had your kitchen cabinets painted?-housemovein.png   Have you had your kitchen cabinets painted?-img_8728.jpg   Have you had your kitchen cabinets painted?-img_8729.jpg  

Old 06-24-2019, 11:40 AM

2,867 posts, read 3,561,846 times
Thanks for the kind comments on our kitchen! We love the change, but the floor played a big role in our cabinets too, they go together.

And to the person who sent me the comment about liking them better before we painted them - to each is their own I guess. Not sure why you took the time out of your life to send me that, but ok..

Old 06-24-2019, 01:04 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,493,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC211 View Post
Thanks for the kind comments on our kitchen! We love the change, but the floor played a big role in our cabinets too, they go together.

And to the person who sent me the comment about liking them better before we painted them - to each is their own I guess. Not sure why you took the time out of your life to send me that, but ok..
Eh, don't think anything of it. I get comments sometimes from folks. That person was just sharing their thoughts because you know...well because they wanted to.

It wasn't me, but I like the cabinets before and after. I also loved the red floor (I'm biased, because I have Brazilian cherry flooring myself and the red is gorgeous) and the counters, but you're right. To each his own, and it's not my house and I wouldn't expect you to consider my thoughts haha

Old 06-25-2019, 08:50 AM

2,469 posts, read 3,264,865 times
We painted our cabinets in another house using the Rustoleum kit. It was a lot of work and I would rather pay a professional to do it instead. They came out ok and it took years before we had chipping.

Painting cabinets is definitely a cost effective option to refresh your kitchen cabinets. Paint and new hardware can make a huge difference.

Old 06-25-2019, 09:06 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,338,834 times
You know, it's just paint.

I am amused by the people who seem to think that painting kitchen cabinets is some kind of exotic task requiring specialized experience, tools, master-level skills, and a huge helping of luck.

Nope, it's just paint. Clean things up real well, sand the surfaces, prime bare wood, repair bad spots, apply paint. The only tip I would give is to take the doors off and do them lying flat in the garage, which elimimates any chance of drips and makes it a lot easier to do the frames and inside if you're going to do the inside.

If you paint your cabinets and it doesn't turn out like you hoped, paint 'em again.

Come on people, it's not that hard.

Old 06-25-2019, 09:21 AM

2,469 posts, read 3,264,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
You know, it's just paint.

I am amused by the people who seem to think that painting kitchen cabinets is some kind of exotic task requiring specialized experience, tools, master-level skills, and a huge helping of luck.

Nope, it's just paint. Clean things up real well, sand the surfaces, prime bare wood, repair bad spots, apply paint. The only tip I would give is to take the doors off and do them lying flat in the garage, which elimimates any chance of drips and makes it a lot easier to do the frames and inside if you're going to do the inside.

If you paint your cabinets and it doesn't turn out like you hoped, paint 'em again.

Come on people, it's not that hard.

It's not that simple. There is a lot of prep and not everyone has real wood cabinets.

Old 06-25-2019, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dltordj View Post
It's not that simple. There is a lot of prep and not everyone has real wood cabinets.
Well, yeah, actually, it is that simple.

"A lot of work" is not the same thing as "hard". Yes, it takes time, but we're not talking about rocket science here.

But that's OK, you go ahead and overcomplicate stuff. The money you pay to painters will help stimulate the economy.

Old 06-25-2019, 12:15 PM

10,101 posts, read 6,444,912 times
[quote=turf3;55511795]Well, yeah, actually, it is that simple.

"A lot of work" is not the same thing as "hard". Yes, it takes time, but we're not talking about rocket science here.

But that's OK, you go ahead and overcomplicate stuff. The money you pay to painters will help stimulate the economy.[/QUOTE

It may be simple, but in some cases. not necessarily safe. My original 1959 kitchen cabinets are painted and apparently were always so. However, the last paint job that was done before I bought the house was not the best quality paint. I plan to re-paint the bottom cabinets, but the top ones go all the way up to the high ceiling and my balance is not that good these days at my age. I plan to let my painter handle those cabinets.

Old 06-25-2019, 01:26 PM

[quote=Bungalove;55511932]
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
Well, yeah, actually, it is that simple.

But that's OK, you go ahead and overcomplicate stuff. The money you pay to painters will help stimulate the economy.[/QUOTE

It may be simple, but in some cases. not necessarily safe. My original 1959 kitchen cabinets are painted and apparently were always so. However, the last paint job that was done before I bought the house was not the best quality paint. I plan to re-paint the bottom cabinets, but the top ones go all the way up to the high ceiling and my balance is not that good these days at my age. I plan to let my painter handle those cabinets.
Different issue.

No one would claim that digging out a stump is complicated work either but with two bum shoulders I won't be doing that work again. What I am referring to is the way some people who post here seem to think that tasks like painting kitchen cabinets, or washing a cast iron skillet, are arcane skills only available to a select few who have special training and extensive experience and skills. Physical limitations are a different matter altogether.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating