Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2020, 01:30 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,830,750 times

Advertisements

I used to like the ceiling fan in the bedroom until I started having trouble with very dry eyes - now I don't use the ceiling fan but I do use a large tower fan that doesn't blow directly on me. It didn't matter which direction the blades were spinning, the ceiling fan just dried my eyes out.
City-Data Terms of Service: //www.city-data.com/terms.html
City-Data FAQ: //www.city-data.com/forum/faq/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2020, 02:07 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,167,759 times
If they serve a useful function, then sure install one. If they don’t serve a function, then don’t. We had one in a stuffy bedroom in our previous home. We used a remote to control it. And, we removed one, finally, from our guest bedroom because, frankly, it was ugly.

If you want one for ventilation or air movement, buy the best you can afford. But since they are not as trendy as they were for years, I think you’ll have a limited selection to choose from.

Old 01-05-2020, 04:23 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times
I just bought ceiling fans for nearly every room in our house, and didn't notice a lack of options at all. Apparently they are as popular as ever around here (NE Texas).

Old 01-05-2020, 06:07 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,167,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I just bought ceiling fans for nearly every room in our house, and didn't notice a lack of options at all. Apparently they are as popular as ever around here (NE Texas).
Interesting. I don’t see them very often on shelter sites.

Old 01-05-2020, 06:38 PM

16,075 posts, read 21,154,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
Most houses don’t come with them and people put them in because they are useful. They aren’t a “design” element so much as a functional element. They allow you to save money because you don’t have to turn down the AC as much to feel cooler because they can make you feel 10 degrees cooler if you have the right fan. I’d much rather have something a little less attractive than spend to cool a whole house a few more degrees if it is not necessary.
This. I can lengthen my 'open window' season by running my fans, and it greatly helps to keep the electric bill down. Plus it's a godsend in a small kitchen in the summer.

Old 01-05-2020, 06:46 PM

4,537 posts, read 3,757,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
If they serve a useful function, then sure install one. If they don’t serve a function, then don’t. We had one in a stuffy bedroom in our previous home. We used a remote to control it. And, we removed one, finally, from our guest bedroom because, frankly, it was ugly.

If you want one for ventilation or air movement, buy the best you can afford. But since they are not as trendy as they were for years, I think you’ll have a limited selection to choose from.
Ceiling fans may have limited selection in your cooler region where they aren’t as functional. I could easily hypothesize that winter clothing isn’t as trendy as it used to be either, since I find such a limited selection here in SW Florida.

Last edited by jean_ji; 01-05-2020 at 08:14 PM..

Old 01-05-2020, 08:09 PM

3,026 posts, read 9,055,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Damon View Post

In a large vaulted space I could see a clean lined style such as Big Ass Fan spec as something I could live with - never with lights though.
We have Big Ass fans in our home. 84" in the 12 ft high living room and 60" in the other 10 ft high rooms.
They move air quietly and at intermittent speeds, high volume at low speeds.
They also work with ecobee.

Old 01-05-2020, 09:54 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
Interesting. I don’t see them very often on shelter sites.
Sorry, I don't know what a shelter site is.

Old 01-05-2020, 10:03 PM

16,087 posts, read 10,753,057 times
I have five and one goes 24/7. The fans work well in the high desert climate. I have thermal heat in the floor and the fans are helpful in moving the warm air. I would rather have them than not.

Old 01-05-2020, 10:33 PM

3,602 posts, read 2,309,131 times
We use ours summer and winter, they push down and circulate the warm air in winter and often is all that is necessary in summer.

We have quite expensive electricity and a strong lobby to minimise its use for environmental reasons. Whether you agree with these reasons or not it seems unlikely that we will get cheaper power any time in the future
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating