Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2020, 06:13 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,883,248 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryswan View Post

My wish is for someone to make real ice cream..
Ingredients: Milk, cream, sugar.
Do you mean like a neighbor?

Or do you mean out? We have a lot of "fancy" ice cream places that really just make basic ice cream out of real ingredients.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2020, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kab0906 View Post
I know you're talking about house stuff, but what I miss is milk in glass bottles. Plastic adds a terrible taste. We used to have milk delivered in glass bottles and you washed them when empty and the milkman took the empties for reuse.
Maybe check out the fancy grocery or food co-op. We have a couple of brands that sell exclusively in glass and you pay a deposit that you get back when you return the bottle.

Here is my local option:
https://www.strausfamilycreamery.com...ic-milk-cream/

Old 08-10-2020, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly Known As Twenty View Post
Laundry chutes would be nice to bring back (I had two different apartments that had this feature. The clothes fell into a lockable wooden "cage" that was just large enough to hold a laundry basket). So handy for those of us who don't like second floor laundry facilities.
I live in a multistory 20 unit condo building. We have a trash chute! I wish there was a recycle chute too. It is so handy!

Old 08-11-2020, 05:20 AM

50,378 posts, read 63,993,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Live in staff.
Paid a pittance.
With a button under the dining room table to call the butler.

Old 08-11-2020, 05:36 AM

10,093 posts, read 6,436,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
With a button under the dining room table to call the butler.
That reminds me of an apartment my first husband and I had. It had three entrances: the main one, one to the maid's room and bath, and one to the butler's pantry. It also had a buzzer in the dining room floor for the butler/maid. The entire apartment was one separate wing of the building and had a fireplace and a little balcony at the end too. The rent was $300 a month, utilities included (this was in the 70s). That place was like a palace. The building entry was huge and had an ornate marble floor overhung with long velvet drapes and had a doorman! I don't miss the ex-hubs but I miss that apartment sometimes.

Old 08-11-2020, 05:40 AM

13,056 posts, read 18,121,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
That reminds me of an apartment my first husband and I had. It had three entrances: the main one, one to the maid's room and bath, and one to the butler's pantry. It also had a buzzer in the dining room floor for the butler/maid. The entire apartment was one separate wing of the building and had a fireplace and a little balcony at the end too. The rent was $300 a month, utilities included (this was in the 70s). That place was like a palace. The building entry was huge and had an ornate marble floor overhung with long velvet drapes and had a doorman! I don't miss the ex-hubs but I miss that apartment sometimes.
How lovely. I would miss that too.

Old 08-11-2020, 05:47 AM

17,624 posts, read 17,682,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielAvery View Post
I wish single-family home builders would offer more small, two-bedroom homes. I'd love to buy my first home after all these years of renting, but everything is too big, too extravagant, too...much for a single person. If I were in the market for the typical 3BR/2BA I would have plenty of options, but unless I want something fifty-plus years old (and the issues that come with that) I'm pretty much out of luck in searching for a 2/1 or 2/2 free-standing home. Condos and townhouses have their points, but they also have shared walls, no front yard, and Karen from the HOA breathing down your neck.
I’m in a home built in 73. It’s 1700 sq/feet with 2 bedrooms and one bath. Grew up a crew streets over in what was at that time a lower working class neighborhood. The homes were just a bit bigger than a single wide trailer with 3 bedrooms and one bath on a small piece of land. That subdivision has become HUD or government assistance homes and the quality of the subdivision has gone down dramatically.

Old 08-11-2020, 08:03 AM

4,232 posts, read 6,910,410 times
The house we bought last year is a 1949 2:1 and it is 1000 ft2. We love it. I agree that I just don't care for larger homes for myself. I owned a much larger home previously for 7 years and it just wasn't for me. This house has been perfect for us. Important to note that we do not have kids nor do we intend to, so we've no need for some 5 bedroom 3 bathroom home in the burbs here.

We did have to do a lot of hunting to find a smaller, well cared for home. And any time we did, we were often bidding against people wanting to do full tear downs to build larger homes on the lot.

Old 08-11-2020, 09:47 AM

41,965 posts, read 75,205,836 times
  • Transom windows above every door to pull the hot air out.
  • True double-hung windows, for the reason stated above. My windows are double-hung, but have only a half screen.
  • A front vestibule, to keep the cold air out when you come into the house.
  • Direct access to the basement from the backyard.
  • Built-in bookcases.
  • Windows placed for optimum cross-ventilation

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
I had an aunt that had a Dutch door and I loved it. I guess it went back to seeing it there and on Mr. Ed. (so much for my design inspiration).
Or Captain Kangaroo. The Treasure House had a Dutch door.

Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
Walls! Rooms with doors!
Yes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
An “idea” is a suggestion or thought- not an object.
This isn't the writing forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisy Grey View Post
When my folks were still alive and we would visit, I would walk my kids around the neighborhood where I grew up and point out where I went to grade school, the playground I went to and the building where "Mary's Soda Bar" used to be. Mary's was a neighborhood hangout where for a quarter you could get 2 cokes and a bag of chips.--I would regale my kids with stories of my childhood. They loved it!
Well, now I'm curious because I grew up in a neighborhood that had a Mary's Dairy Bar, where kids would get their candy and comic books, adults would get lunch, cigars, and magazines, and teens would play pinball and eat french fries and Coke.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indigo Cardinal View Post
My mom said it was really nice.....except for those few brief years when her oldest child found that her younger brother could just about fit in the chute to slide down it.

I admit nothing.
One of our neighbors had a four square with a laundry chute. We used to give their cat a ride ... *cringe*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
That sounds divine (especially the rent)! I'd kill for a butler's pantry.

Old 08-11-2020, 12:26 PM

13,056 posts, read 18,121,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
  • Transom windows above every door to pull the hot air out.
  • True double-hung windows, for the reason stated above. My windows are double-hung, but have only a half screen.
  • A front vestibule, to keep the cold air out when you come into the house.
  • Direct access to the basement from the backyard.
  • Built-in bookcases.
  • Windows placed for optimum cross-ventilation

Or Captain Kangaroo. The Treasure House had a Dutch door.

Yes!

This isn't the writing forum.

Well, now I'm curious because I grew up in a neighborhood that had a Mary's Dairy Bar, where kids would get their candy and comic books, adults would get lunch, cigars, and magazines, and teens would play pinball and eat french fries and Coke.

One of our neighbors had a four square with a laundry chute. We used to give their cat a ride ... *cringe*

That sounds divine (especially the rent)! I'd kill for a butler's pantry.
The Captain, Mr. Bunny Rabbit, Mr. Moose and Mr. Greenjeans!!!!! Oh what fun memories. Forgot about that door!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating