Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2020, 10:01 AM

30,585 posts, read 25,167,759 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly Known As Twenty View Post
The mental imagery of that poor cat careening down the laundry chute! I shouldn't laugh, but still...

Having a walk out basement is wonderful and very common here in Western Pennsylvania due to the topography--especially on the "low side" of streets in the older neighborhoods. Spring through fall, I'm in and out of the basement door multiple times a day. It's also really nice to have at least a rudimentary toilet and/or shower in the basement, too, as it keeps the upper living areas cleaner--no stomping a path of dirt and debris into the house when you need to use the facilities while doing something messy outdoors or in the garage.

My last house didn't have a direct exit from the basement, which I found to be a bit worrisome in the event of an emergency. There's no way that an adult could fit through the pitifully small egress window and it was too high for a child or short adult to climb out of if they needed to exit in a hurry. The lack of a direct basement exit seems to be a modern house issue as I've never seen an (unremodeled) older house without one.
Interesting. My circa 1965 two story w/ basement had no exit directly to the outside. My circa 1978 house had a complete below grade living area with direct access to the outside and an extra window near the inevitable slider. But many houses in that area have walkout basements. I don’t know if current building codes mandate them, or not. But I think they are a good idea. In my 1965 era house I spent hours everyday downstairs doing laundry and sewing. It was a dreary place to spend time in. To get out quickly, I would have had to run up stairs to the kitchen and run to an outside door through a hallway, or a room.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2020, 08:04 PM

428 posts, read 643,807 times
My friend and I are about to close on a big old farmhouse, and we're already eyeing future projects. We'll be adding a back porch/sunroom off of the kitchen, and that gets a dutch door for sure. And we hope to find room for a dumbwaiter somewhere near the kitchen.
The front porch needs to be rebuilt and is the main entrance, so we're thinking vestibule there.
And maybe what I'm most excited about it is the clothes line i can hang olutside---woohoo!!! I can't wait to dry my sheets in the sun!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating