Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2020, 08:13 PM

37,627 posts, read 46,045,092 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavalier View Post
But serious question: If a person REALLY does it well, is it possible you wouldn't even tell if someone painted over extremely old wallpaper?

Or would I just fool some people, but most people would know?
It will look horrible. Wallpaper hides flaws. Pretty much makes them invisible. You put paint over that and hooo boy you will have an awful look. Also the glue will bleed through to the paint, and you will have a mess.

Do it right. Spend $50 for a steamer (I did 2 bathrooms and my whole kitchen and dining room - this is the way to go) and it will be the best $50 you ever spent.

https://www.amazon.com/Wagner-Sprayt...s%2C155&sr=8-2
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2020, 08:23 PM

10,098 posts, read 4,094,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
It will look horrible. Wallpaper hides flaws. Pretty much makes them invisible. You put paint over that and hooo boy you will have an awful look. Also the glue will bleed through to the paint, and you will have a mess.

Do it right. Spend $50 for a steamer (I did 2 bathrooms and my whole kitchen and dining room - this is the way to go) and it will be the best $50 you ever spent.

https://www.amazon.com/Wagner-Sprayt...s%2C155&sr=8-2
Okay I will run it by my cohort and his pal as well. My buddy's dad has been over helping me, and his friend is my neighbor two houses down, and he's a professional painter. We borrowed all sorts of stuff from him today and he was over givviing us some tips and guidance today. I will definitely run it by him again and make sure where he's at with it.

Old 10-11-2020, 08:47 PM

6,880 posts, read 4,880,771 times
Gray's aren't offensive, but I don't care for them. I like creams. I add color in other ways. I do like accent walls in colors. That said, if I were looking for a house to buy, the last thing I would be concerned about would be color. That's an easy fix. I also would rather see the house unstaged so I know furniture isn't hiding anything. I can visualize how to decorate. I can measure to see if my furniture will fit.

Old 10-11-2020, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Thanks for all the replies. I'm guessing there is another thread like this (or twenty others) but I did not search. Hope I did not add an unneeded thread - my apologies if I did.

I have 50 year old wallpaper in one room...40 year old wall paper in another. In the basement, that WP is peeling right off. In the typically more oven-like upstairs, the wallpaper is adhered to the wall with the force of a thousand suns. I am just going to paint over that wallpaper.
Ick. Just ick. Personally I would rather buy it with the crappy old wall paper and deal with that than buy a house with painted over wall paper. I'd be thinking that if they did that what other disasters are the sellers trying to hide. I think painted over or left as is that it will deter a certain segment of buyers, namely those that want everything looking new build perfect. Leave it as is and it will still attract the do it yourself people, or people willing to hire it done. Just my opinion, of course. Others may feel differently.

Old 10-12-2020, 09:36 AM

There's this show I have been watching lately called "Sell This House" and I have seen them paint over wallpaper on a number of occasions. They don't always paint over but only on occasion. I get that it's just a show (who knows how much of that show is faked), but would they do that when so many people watch it and take their ideas and implement them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Noooooo....don't do that.

You would lose a sale to many people over that. You sure would to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Twist View Post
Ick. Just ick. Personally I would rather buy it with the crappy old wall paper and deal with that than buy a house with painted over wall paper. I'd be thinking that if they did that what other disasters are the sellers trying to hide. I think painted over or left as is that it will deter a certain segment of buyers, namely those that want everything looking new build perfect. Leave it as is and it will still attract the do it yourself people, or people willing to hire it done. Just my opinion, of course. Others may feel differently.

So the last poster I asked this question didn't answer. Maybe you guys will answer. If there was one room (out of a house that has like 7 rooms and 2 baths) that had painted-over wallpaper, you would walk away? Granted it one of the biggest rooms I think being the entire upper level of a 2k/sq ft house, but would just that one room being painted-over wallpaper make you walk away from the purchase?

Old 10-12-2020, 08:17 PM

Quote:
There's this show I have been watching lately called "Sell This House" and I have seen them paint over wallpaper on a number of occasions. They don't always paint over but only on occasion. I get that it's just a show (who knows how much of that show is faked), but would they do that when so many people watch it and take their ideas and implement them?

So the last poster I asked this question didn't answer. Maybe you guys will answer. If there was one room (out of a house that has like 7 rooms and 2 baths) that had painted-over wallpaper, you would walk away? Granted it one of the biggest rooms I think being the entire upper level of a 2k/sq ft house, but would just that one room being painted-over wallpaper make you walk away from the purchase?
It would depend on a lot of things. I would be wary of what other weird things might be waiting for me. Is it a wonderful location? Is the house offering things I couldn't easily find in other, similarly priced homes? If it is just an average home in all other respects I would keep looking.

If it has an extra large yard, a new roof, updated bathrooms, things that are real pluses to me, maybe. But I would first have to find out if painting over the wall paper would make it harder and more expensive to have it removed.

How is the housing market in your area ? Fast turn over? Buyers market or sellers?. I suppose you could paint it over and see what happens. Then if you don't get offers you are happy with - take off wall paper and try again.

Old 10-13-2020, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Twist View Post
It would depend on a lot of things. I would be wary of what other weird things might be waiting for me. Is it a wonderful location? Is the house offering things I couldn't easily find in other, similarly priced homes? If it is just an average home in all other respects I would keep looking.

If it has an extra large yard, a new roof, updated bathrooms, things that are real pluses to me, maybe. But I would first have to find out if painting over the wall paper would make it harder and more expensive to have it removed.

How is the housing market in your area ? Fast turn over? Buyers market or sellers?. I suppose you could paint it over and see what happens. Then if you don't get offers you are happy with - take off wall paper and try again.
If you or I wanted to pay someone to take wallpaper off for us (I'm guessing companies or guys do that sort of thing),how much would they charge for a small studio-sized room?

Old 10-13-2020, 08:54 AM

37,627 posts, read 46,045,092 times
Quote:
If you or I wanted to pay someone to take wallpaper off for us (I'm guessing companies or guys do that sort of thing),how much would they charge for a small studio-sized room?
It will be expensive.

For wallpaper removal, most homeowners spend between $396 and $1,096, or an average of about $746. The average cost to remove wallpaper is $3 per square foot in labor and roughly $100 in materials, or about $535 for a 12 foot by 12 foot room.
https://www.homeadvisor.com/cost/hom...%20foot%20room.

This is a good video - watch it, and get busy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Thv1...l=ThriftDiving

Here is another one. My wallpaper would NOT come off without steaming so that was the only thing that worked for me.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDo0...el=Nitrokyosho

Old 10-13-2020, 09:40 AM

122 posts, read 169,768 times
Recent estimate for removing wallpaper in my home was $35 an hour and they thought it would take 10 hours. It was below chair rail in a 10x12 dining room, floor to ceiling in a very small powder room, and border in foyer - approx 25 ft of it there.

Old 10-13-2020, 10:28 AM

71 posts, read 44,949 times
Anything that is decorated tastefully! If I see one more house for sale that has gray walls and gray floors and painted white cabinets... Good heavens! It's cold and lifeless and actually removes character! When I see really loud colors, I think that'll be a pain to prime and paint, so maybe just tone down only the walls that are loud if you have any. I find much more character and charm in no clutter than the starkness of nothing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating