Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2023, 05:35 PM

2,649 posts, read 1,177,499 times

Advertisements

Would you buy a bathroom vanity sink that doesn't have an overflow hole?

Would you buy a bathroom vanity sink that doesn't have a stopper?

I am not at all comfortable with a sink that doesn't have an overflow hole since the water could obviously overflow without that drainage hole. I am also not needing a stopper handle or even the push one since I already know I buy one I can just drop on the opening of the regular drain hole and remove it when I choose to. I don't care for pre or permanent installed stoppers. Most of them are cheezy now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2023, 09:11 PM

22,581 posts, read 47,649,975 times
I prefer to have both.

Old 10-27-2023, 11:24 AM

3,798 posts, read 2,321,130 times
Hmmm. Let me think about this.

I've never filled the bathroom sink with water for any reason, and definitely would not set it to fill and then walk away (most bathroom sinks are not very big so would fill pretty fast, I'd think). So I guess I could do without either of them, even though I know the ones in the primary bathroom have both. Now that I think about it, the kitchen sink doesn't have an overflow and it's never been an issue.

Now if you are bathing a small cat or puppy in a bathroom sink both might be quite handy.

Just went out and looked at the vanity I bought yesterday for the downstairs half-bath remodel and nope, it doesn't have an overflow. So I guess I get to find out how well I do.

Old 10-27-2023, 11:55 AM

6,558 posts, read 8,387,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staystill View Post
As a child-free person, yes.

If I had small children, I would want one with an overflow hole as I could easily see a small child unintentionally overflowing a bathroom sink.

Quote:
No. I do use the stopper in my sink.

Old 10-27-2023, 12:58 PM

23,278 posts, read 18,799,167 times
There are two baths in this house. They aren't palatial and neither are the vanities or their sinks. Neither sink has an overflow. If I need a larger volume of water for some reason, I tend to use the kitchen sink instead. I'm tidy...I don't leave my kitchen sink full of dirty dishes for very long, so it's usually available. My previous houses I've installed a generous utility sink in the garage or laundry room whenever possible for the bigger messier jobs. I'd do the same here if space allowed it. I've never had any reason to fill either bathroom sink with more than a couple of inches of water in all the years I've lived here and neither have guests.

Yes, both vanity sinks have stoppers. Can't recall even seeing vanity sinks for sale that aren't outfitted with some sort of water stopping device. Hard to imagine calling some indentation in the top of a vanity a SINK if it doesn't provide some way to prevent water from flowing down the drain until the most opportune moment. OTOH, I've rented enough older houses/apartments with sinks that had lost their original functional stoppers long before and had to buy a generic plug off some hardware store shelf. Getting the right size wasn't always simple. I'd much rather have a sink with original equipment that fits well enough to stop water.

Last edited by Parnassia; 10-27-2023 at 01:44 PM..

Old 10-27-2023, 02:04 PM

2,528 posts, read 2,777,621 times
A sink stopper is a must-have for anyone who wears contact lenses! Ask me how I know. Not advisable to deal with contacts over an open drain.

Overflow - well, I've never met a sink without one, although I have to admit I've never consciously looked for one either. Thinking of those vessel top-mounted sinks . . . I suppose they don't have overflows. I'm not a fan of them for other reasons anyway but I'd always want an overflow for a just-in-case moment.

Old 10-27-2023, 02:30 PM

17,474 posts, read 66,035,782 times
Quote:

I am not at all comfortable with a sink that doesn't have an overflow hole since the water could obviously overflow without that drainage hole. I am also not needing a stopper handle or even the push one since I already know I buy one I can just drop on the opening of the regular drain hole and remove it when I choose to. I don't care for pre or permanent installed stoppers. Most of them are cheezy now.

You must be related to Pink Jazz!
If not a blood relative, definitely related/connected through miles of pipe!!!

So, to the question(s) at-hand...
Do you really care what I would want/buy? No! You Don't! So, why would you even ask such an asinine question!???

You like what you like!? Buy it! If you don't like it- DO NOT BUY IT!!!

Old 10-27-2023, 02:33 PM

7,327 posts, read 12,333,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
You must be related to Pink Jazz!
If not a blood relative, definitely related/connected through miles of pipe!!!

So, to the question(s) at-hand...
Do you really care what I would want/buy? No! You Don't! So, why would you even ask such an asinine question!???

You like what you like! Buy it! If you don't like it- DO NOT BUY IT!!!
Our sinks do not have overflow holes, but I don't really have a preference.

Note that the drain assemblies included with most bathroom faucets sold in the United States are designed for sinks with overflow holes, so you will have to keep that in mind when buying a new faucet. When I installed my Moen Genta, I simply left the existing drain assembly in place and connected the new faucet to it (plus the one included with the Moen Genta was plastic while my existing drain assembly is metal). I sold my old Delta Lahara together with the plastic Moen overflow drain assembly.

Old 10-27-2023, 02:35 PM

17,474 posts, read 66,035,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
Our sinks do not have overflow holes, but I don't really have a preference.

Note that the drain assemblies included with most bathroom faucets sold in the United States are designed for sinks with overflow holes, so you will have to keep that in mind when buying a new faucet. When I installed my Moen Genta, I simply left the existing drain assembly in place and connected the new faucet to it (plus the one included with the Moen Genta was plastic while my existing drain assembly is metal). I sold my old Delta Lahara together with the plastic Moen overflow drain assembly.

I just knew I was opening a can of worms!!!

Old 10-27-2023, 03:37 PM

23,278 posts, read 18,799,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
I just knew I was opening a can of worms!!!
Ten guesses what PJ's 2 default topics of conversation are at dinner parties
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating