Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2023, 09:56 AM

18,469 posts, read 31,635,068 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
You must be related to Pink Jazz!
If not a blood relative, definitely related/connected through miles of pipe!!!

So, to the question(s) at-hand...
Do you really care what I would want/buy? No! You Don't! So, why would you even ask such an asinine question!???

You like what you like!? Buy it! If you don't like it- DO NOT BUY IT!!!

First cousin, once removed.

I thought all bathroom sinks had the overflow holes, mine does, it it has never overflowed in the 39 years I have lived in this apartment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2023, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Ten guesses what PJ's 2 default topics of conversation are at dinner parties

oh oh, pick me, pick me, I know the answer to that!!!!!

Old 10-29-2023, 10:08 AM

2,662 posts, read 1,182,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
You must be related to Pink Jazz!
If not a blood relative, definitely related/connected through miles of pipe!!!

So, to the question(s) at-hand...
Do you really care what I would want/buy? No! You Don't! So, why would you even ask such an asinine question!???

You like what you like!? Buy it! If you don't like it- DO NOT BUY IT!!!
It should be obvious to you that I am asking to get opinions that I would may not have considered. This why we come here. Why are you even here when you can't understand why I or anyone else on this website comes here.

Old 10-29-2023, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post

First cousin, once removed.

I thought all bathroom sinks had the overflow holes, mine does, it it has never overflowed in the 39 years I have lived in this apartment.
The new sinks I noticed many do not always have an overflow hole. Also they are doing away with the stopper now. Not all but most new sinks do now. I also noticed they have the push close and push open plug. I wouldn't want that either if I couldn't remove it myself by simply picking it up and out with my hand, no tools needed and if it catches hair before going down the drain.

Old 10-29-2023, 10:12 AM

Quote:

oh oh, pick me, pick me, I know the answer to that!!!!!
LMAO thanks for making me laugh

Last edited by staystill; 10-29-2023 at 10:14 AM.. Reason: ok now I see I deleted the question

Old 10-29-2023, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvetters63 View Post
Hmmm. Let me think about this.

I've never filled the bathroom sink with water for any reason, and definitely would not set it to fill and then walk away (most bathroom sinks are not very big so would fill pretty fast, I'd think). So I guess I could do without either of them, even though I know the ones in the primary bathroom have both. Now that I think about it, the kitchen sink doesn't have an overflow and it's never been an issue.

Now if you are bathing a small cat or puppy in a bathroom sink both might be quite handy.

Just went out and looked at the vanity I bought yesterday for the downstairs half-bath remodel and nope, it doesn't have an overflow. So I guess I get to find out how well I do.
Thank you I was considering people with children need a drain hole but so do some Seniors. I sometimes leave water running in the kitchen and forget since I can't hear it running. It is rare for me to do that but it happens. Yet never in the bathroom.

Old 10-29-2023, 10:28 AM

I have noticed also most people in the stores say they use the stopper either in the bathroom. My neighbor never bothers with it in hers either.

I don't like having the stopper built in or the new push button build in either. I find it much easier to drop my own in that I can push close and push open and also just take it out myself to get hair trapped in it out myself. It's also better for both residents and plumbers since it's a small easy job they waste their time on when they want bigger jobs for more money. Although there are some that way over charge to do a simple job like replace a previously installed stopper. It also isn't any fun when the cheap products fall apart to soon or when not tightened with a tool so it doesn't come loose and come apart again.

Most of the new sinks just don't have that drain hole that I want to have yet they all have some sort of closure to fill the small bathroom vanity sink.

IMHO it' is necessary to have that hole even without having children we/I live with. There are pets that might turn the water on and just leave when done drinking from the trickling water and accidently push that push close stopper they have now. That alone would cause a flood.

Ok I think I know what I want now. Thank you everyone. I didn't even considered children and pets but now I do. Plus my not being able to always hear water running or even a little trickle that I accidently forgot to turn off. I do have to run the hot water for a minute while I get everything ready for a shower and I forget or just put off showering longer that I planned to and forget I have the how water on in the bath sink. I do this because it takes a while to get the hot water to come into the bathroom. How many times I just ran to get something and got distracted then forgot the water is running not a lot but long enough to eventually overflow.

Old 10-29-2023, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by staystill View Post
It should be obvious to you that I am asking to get opinions that I would may not have considered. This why we come here. Why are you even here when you can't understand why I or anyone else on this website comes here.

your right,

sometimes another person can have a thought or an idea that we hadn't thought of, hence us coming here and asking questions and sharing thoughts on household things, and discussing our experience with things.

I had never thought that while my bathroom vanity and bathtub have a drain thing, wonder why the kitchen sinks do not, and since I have a portable washer it would be beneficial to me if the kitchen sink had an overflow drain since that's where I have to let the water drain.....luckily I haven't needed it, but you can never say never....

Old 10-29-2023, 11:28 AM

Quote:
your right,

sometimes another person can have a thought or an idea that we hadn't thought of, hence us coming here and asking questions and sharing thoughts on household things, and discussing our experience with things.

I had never thought that while my bathroom vanity and bathtub have a drain thing, wonder why the kitchen sinks do not, and since I have a portable washer it would be beneficial to me if the kitchen sink had an overflow drain since that's where I have to let the water drain.....luckily I haven't needed it, but you can never say never....
I completely forgot all about portable washers. I use to have one myself. When I purchased this home it came with washer/dryer. I since then have replaced both and didn't have to worry about how it drains.

But now I have to be careful of what to buy since the new bathroom sinks are not being made with the drain hole, most of them anyway, and not pull handle for the stoppers.

You bring up a good point why don't they come with an overflow drain hole. Overflowing of the kitchen sink is more likely. It happened to my neighbor his kitchen sink overflowed so many times because the drain pipe was backed up. Ruined his kitchen tiles and he had to have them all regrouted. Now I don't think a drain hole would have helped him because to the clogged drain pipe but it would if the sink was filled with dishes and a slow drip started that he didn't know about. That happened to another neighbor of mine who life to many dishes in the kitchen sink and the drain was wide open not covered but the drip drip leak slowly made a dish fall down and then another dish shifted and covered the drain. With out a drain hole on the top side the water had nowhere else to go except on the kitchen floor. He came home from work to a flood all because of not fixing the drip, leaving the sink full of dishes and no overflow hole.

This reminds me I have to get the emergency auto shut off Installed. My only though of concern is what happens if I take to long in the shower will it shut that off? I am still learning a lot.

Old 10-30-2023, 08:19 AM

10,093 posts, read 6,431,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staystill View Post
I have noticed also most people in the stores say they use the stopper either in the bathroom. My neighbor never bothers with it in hers either.

I don't like having the stopper built in or the new push button build in either. I find it much easier to drop my own in that I can push close and push open and also just take it out myself to get hair trapped in it out myself. It's also better for both residents and plumbers since it's a small easy job they waste their time on when they want bigger jobs for more money. Although there are some that way over charge to do a simple job like replace a previously installed stopper. It also isn't any fun when the cheap products fall apart to soon or when not tightened with a tool so it doesn't come loose and come apart again.

Most of the new sinks just don't have that drain hole that I want to have yet they all have some sort of closure to fill the small bathroom vanity sink.

IMHO it' is necessary to have that hole even without having children we/I live with. There are pets that might turn the water on and just leave when done drinking from the trickling water and accidently push that push close stopper they have now. That alone would cause a flood.

Ok I think I know what I want now. Thank you everyone. I didn't even considered children and pets but now I do. Plus my not being able to always hear water running or even a little trickle that I accidently forgot to turn off. I do have to run the hot water for a minute while I get everything ready for a shower and I forget or just put off showering longer that I planned to and forget I have the how water on in the bath sink. I do this because it takes a while to get the hot water to come into the bathroom. How many times I just ran to get something and got distracted then forgot the water is running not a lot but long enough to eventually overflow.
Geez, I only wish my pets were smart enough for that possible scenario.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating