Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2023, 09:50 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,888,047 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seguinite View Post
I've been told that 'nothing' isn't an option on a new build. Does it have something to do with a certificate of occupancy for mortgage purposes?
Yes—It has to do with the county/city inspectors giving a certificate of occupancy even though having concrete flooring can BE the flooring of choice—
It just has to be finished differently—
Like if there was an electrical floor outlet in the middle of the living area for floating furniture away from the wall outlets there would be a gap because the outlet “COULD” be raised a little taller than the concrete to allow for the flooring to flush with the outlet
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2023, 09:52 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,888,047 times
I have been on CD a long time
I knew when I posted this question I would be more comments criticizing our decisions
People like to lecture and everyone has an opinion—myself included

I just wanted to know if anyone had done this
If you haven’t, you don’t have the info I wanted

But post away; I believe in free speech

Old 11-17-2023, 10:16 AM

4,542 posts, read 2,683,589 times
Yes it is responsive.

"My husband understands that we could save money doing that but he is worried about having someone in the house taking out carpet and laying another flooring when/if you still have a punch list"

Old 11-17-2023, 10:40 AM

14,489 posts, read 12,121,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seguinite View Post
I've been told that 'nothing' isn't an option on a new build. Does it have something to do with a certificate of occupancy for mortgage purposes?

Yeah the lender probably requires it. So I think I could be happy with the tile choices offered. I just can't wrap my head around ripping out brand new floors. When they wear out, then replace them.

Bonus points to this flooring salesman for getting anyone to think about it though!

Old 11-17-2023, 10:55 AM

14,489 posts, read 12,121,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
I have been on CD a long time
I knew when I posted this question I would be more comments criticizing our decisions

I think the post bringing up the warranty may be worth investigating to make sure it would not void any part of the warranty (except the warranty on the floors!) to replace the floors.

Old 11-17-2023, 11:17 AM

17,475 posts, read 66,074,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
I think the post bringing up the warranty may be worth investigating...

Yep; I brought it to attention because I've BTDT!!!- from the otherside of the fence!
Had a H/O change paint color- Did 1yr warranty, several nail-pops and other drywall issues. We DID NOT do the repainting- though they tried to argue the point (it was clearly defined in the H/O's manual that is given to EVERY buyer).

Had another that changed flooring that was damaged from a plumbing issue- the plumbing issue was corrected. Though I sympathize with them- the flooring would need to be handled through their H/O insurance; simply because we did not install that flooring.

I have had several other issues like these... bottomline is this- if you change stuff after closing and before the warranty period has expired, you will most likely be responsible for anything that may happen to it in that period.

Most people DO NOT READ a contract well- and almost all "production builders" use their OWN CONTRACT- and it weighs heavily on their side! Bottomline here- Buyer Beware!!!

Old 11-17-2023, 02:40 PM

8,153 posts, read 8,354,049 times
Can’t respond to your specific question, but wanted to give a little input

We bought a 20 year old house in a 55+ community (I think all 55+ communities are production houses) and it had a combination of tile and carpet. Had it all ripped out and installed 24” x 48” (wow so big) tiles. Now kind of regret not going LVP. The flooring is very attractive but cold and hard and after 3 years the grout is very dirty. I cannot get that grout clean no matter how many wonder products I’ve tried. So, if you do go with tile, be sure not to select a light grout. Since our tiles are a “gray/beige” color, we selected a matching grout.

Best of luck on the new build!

Old 11-17-2023, 03:06 PM

4,853 posts, read 3,282,699 times
Quote:
Yeah the lender probably requires it. So I think I could be happy with the tile choices offered. I just can't wrap my head around ripping out brand new floors. When they wear out, then replace them.

Bonus points to this flooring salesman for getting anyone to think about it though!

When we bought a new build in 2011, I had to pull up the carpet in the MBR and replace it (wood-look laminate) before we could move in. Wife reluctantly lived with the carpet in the other two bedrooms for a couple years... but I pulled that out and replaced with wood.

Old 11-17-2023, 05:00 PM

18,473 posts, read 31,648,692 times
Quote:
I don't know... I would never consider ripping out any brand new flooring.

It's so wasteful. I'm pretty sure I could live with one of the choices of flooring they're offering.

If you hate the flooring choices so much you would rip them out for being substandard before you've even walked on them, can't you just have them put nothing in? And not waste anyone's time, money or landfill space?

Just wait til it's closed (and the punch list is done) and put in your own floors?

You really couldn't live with one of the choices the builder supplied?

I'm fussy, and even I think I can live with something at least a year or so, (time does go by fast), then you can get exactly what you want.

I was going to say have nothing but after

After reading the responses I am guessing nothing is not really allowed for the reasons stated.

Original Poster, Good luck in your new home though, that is always exciting and fun.

Last edited by nightcrawler; 11-17-2023 at 05:16 PM..

Old 11-17-2023, 05:22 PM

7,246 posts, read 7,079,089 times
My advice: Upgrade where it's hard to replace, go with cheap where it's easy.

So, bath and kitchen floors, hard to replace. Living room and bedrooms, easy.

Get cheap carpet. Live with it for a few years to get your moneys worth. Replace with the flooring you really want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating