Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2011, 02:02 PM

18,470 posts, read 31,638,910 times

Advertisements

There are so many choices in cabinetry because EVERYONE has different taste.
Some will like white and some will like black, and everybody in between. There is no right or wrong or in style look......

Really, the chances of someone buying into a new house are always 50-50, they are either gonna love the cabinets or hate the cabinets....another catagory is the I don't really like them, but they aren't horrible....so i can live with them...

I say as long as you are living there, get exactly what YOU want to look at, never mind the what is I sell crap.......since when is everyone selling all of a sudden...to much HGTV....

Old 02-05-2011, 05:12 AM

5,284 posts, read 20,050,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Let me preface this by saying that I do like a white kitchen. (I also like light maple----dark kitchen cabinets seem dated to me.) Light colors would be best in mine because it gets limited light.

But I don't like the thermofoil or melamine white cabinets because they are very hard to keep clean. The termofoil and melamine seems to attract fingernail polish. When you take the polish off, it takes the shine away from the cabinet finish. There is nothing you can do to improve the finish too.

If I were to install a white kitchen, I would install cabinets that are STAINED with white stain:

If that's not white enough, I highly recommend using wood cabinets that are painted white in a non-gloss finish. (Again, you don't want a shiney finish because cleaning portions of it will remove the shine and it will look terrible after a couple of years.) Also, the non-wood cabinets don't last as long. At least with the wood cabinets, you can refinish them or repaint them. You can't do that with thermofoil or melamine.

Soapstone will work perfectly.
Oh my - those look like the pickeled cabinets from the 80's! I can remember wanted pickled cabinets so badly. The only thing missing are the mauve dish towels, LOL. (sorry Hopes - couldn't resist.)

Last edited by Cattknap; 02-05-2011 at 05:27 AM..

Old 02-10-2011, 07:17 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,024,526 times
You are spot on getting white cabinets in the area you are in. They are king in the Charleston area and can actually help a home's value. That being said, yes, the classic shaker style seems to be quite popular and you see this in a lot of the Daniel Island homes, here in Mt P, and even the downtown historic homes. Believe it lends itself well to the area - with the beach, country, history, etc all working together in this area.

For counters, Creative Countertops out on 17 in Awendaw will give you a fair price. They supply to Lowes, Home Depot, etc but you won't have to pay the mark up if you go straight to them. On cabinets - there are so many great local businesses that you can choose from. I see a lot of Carolina Kitchens work down here in Mt P. Pick up an issue of Charleston Home and Design and you can see the different locals work highlighted in there. Best of luck to you - I love white cabinets too. Quite timeless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating