Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2009, 11:14 AM

2,058 posts, read 5,863,920 times

Advertisements

First, let me start by saying that I happen to like white cabinets with a black counter and wood floors. To me, that would be a nice kitchen. But it seems that it's all about the cherry and dark woods which in my opinion create a real formal look. Someone here mentioned that white cabinets are totally out of fashion, but a designer on an HGTV show mentioned that white is coming back in.

What's the final verdict on white cabinets? yes or no?

Old 01-02-2009, 11:23 AM

43,854 posts, read 51,222,276 times
I'm with you....I love crisp white kitchen cabinets. I'm a bit of a neat freak so while they are perfect for me....I could see why the constant cleaning may cause someone else to dislike them totally.

Old 01-02-2009, 02:05 PM

8 posts, read 48,268 times
I had dark cherry wood cabinets and I hated them soooooooooo much I sold my house lol They were to hard to clean. and made the kitchen dark. Now were getting maple with lots of glass and I love that look But my friend just got white and they really look nice white cabinets and a green color counter top and green glass back splash wow it pops nice clean look

Old 01-02-2009, 02:13 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,672,071 times
You are probably talkng about me. I said white kitchens are out of style. I dont care what HGTV says. They have ulterior motives. I dont.

You want some real solid proof? I have 13 displays in my showroom. 1 is a white kitchen with a jet black granite top with gold hardware. 1 is a white laundry room with a red solid surface SS top and pewter hardware. The last time I sold a white kitchen was about 2 and a half years ago. I sell about 200 kitchens per year. It was an old couple. And guess what? White cabinets are more expensive then my oak cabinets. My high end white cabinets are more expensive then maple.

In addition I get people who buy a stock standing homes from a tract builder (Pulte) who have my cabinets already in. But the home they just bought has white cabinets because the family who ordered the home and backed out ordered white. So the new homebuyer comes to me. What I do is just knock off the white face frames, replace with new oak, cherry, maple etc and then replace all the doors and drawer faces only. Then I skin the exposed sides and toe kick with the new wood choice. All this without ever disturbing the existing countertop. (this trick only works on the same brand)

I have done I believe 6 of those in 08. These white cabinets buyers dont want are brand new, never used, but they call me to rid them of that ugliness.

I personally dont hate white cabinets. But if I wrote right here some of the words my customers say to me while describing white cabintes, I would get my posts erased.

If you want to believe what they say on TV then you should pay more attention to the late night infomercials. Nothing you see or hear on TV is true. That includes those home shows.

Last edited by desertsun41; 01-02-2009 at 02:16 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 01-02-2009, 02:19 PM

3,032 posts, read 8,923,573 times
I think white cabinets have their place. I put them into a rental of mine that had a very small kitchen. Darker cabinets just made the place seem claustrophobically small. The white cabinets helped to alleviate some of that visually.

I probably wouldn't choose them for any house that I lived in, unless the kitchen was very small, but that's not a issue with "stylishness" as much as it is with personal preference. I don't think they're ugly, there are just other finishes that I'd prefer in my own house.

I say if you like them and you're going to be in your house for a while, go for it. If you decide to sell and you think they'll be an issue, then you can just do a face refinishing like a previous poster mentions.

Old 01-02-2009, 03:42 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,905,530 times
The most copied kitchen style ever was from the movie "Something's Got to Give" with Dianne Keaton. Crisp White Shaker style cabinets, marble counters, a few unfitted or different finish style cabinets thrown in and you've got the most desired kitchen in America.

Yes, white cabinets are most definitely in style. I don't have them in my kitchen but good quality attractive cabinets can come in many finishes including white.

Old 01-02-2009, 03:49 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,966,939 times
Love white cabinets, but it has to be the right style. Check out these kitchens - a lot of great ideas and styles. You can also search specifically for white cabinets with the categories link.

Finished Kitchens Blog

Old 01-02-2009, 03:49 PM

4,156 posts, read 11,014,110 times
I have all white cabinets. They came with the house. I love them, except that I did recently paint out all of the bottom ones with chalkboard paint...(small children in this house) they love it, and I'm glad to not have to constantly clean my bottom cabinets so much (apparently I'm a sloppy coffee drinker)!
I like that the kids are entertained and it helps keep this space from being so white white white.
I plan on gutting this kitchen in the hopefully very near future and I plan on getting aged white or possibly cream colored aged looking cabinets (mostly) with black wood floors and a mix of carrera and soapstone and zinc countertops (it's an old house and my current kitchen is way to 70's)

Old 01-02-2009, 03:56 PM

2,058 posts, read 5,863,920 times
Funny, I googled the kitchen on Somethings Gotta Give. Yes, who wouldn't want a kitchen like that? It looks great IMO. When I say white cabinets, I don't mean white boxed cabinets from Lowe's, those are gross. Maybe I'm just stuck in the 90s, who knows, but high end cherry cabinets and the granite CT with the SS appliances just isn't my ideal look for a kitchen space. I do hope that if I ever do my kitchen and choose to do white, it won't be a mistake. We are due for a new countertop (the tan laminate has got to go), the cabinets are still ok, but we are thinking to switch them out as well. We just aren't really sure what we are going to do.

Old 01-02-2009, 04:05 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,966,939 times
Quote:
the cabinets are still ok, but we are thinking to switch them out as well.
Paint them. A good paint contractor could give them a real professional look.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating