Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2010, 08:00 AM

302 posts, read 961,599 times

Advertisements

Hi, I'm really bad with colors and wanted some advice on paint color for my kitchen as I am nearing that phase of the renovation. My cabinets are raised panel off white with brown glaze, the flooring is a 20x20 white porcelain with a light grey/tan marble look. I have not selected the granite yet but will probably be a lighter color with some dark veins, and there is an island going in that is a dark chocolate color to contrast the white cabinetry. About 70% of the wallspace is covered with cabinets or large entryways. I have no Idea what color would go best in this situation please help.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2010, 10:38 AM

206 posts, read 746,860 times
I was just going to suggest maybe a darker granite since it seems like a lot of your kitchen is light already(floors, cabinets) We just pretty much the exact same thing with our cabinets and chose
Google Image Result for http://www.granitestock.com/images/granite/golden_sun.jpg
to add some color. It looks very nice. If you choose a light granite it may look a little washed out IMO.

Whatever you do choose your granite before the paint color and pick your slab out yourself.

Old 05-13-2010, 11:43 AM

3,989 posts, read 6,575,037 times
I would also suggest a darker countertop. We have cream colored with brown glaze cabinets, darker countertops and we chose a color called vintage gold for the walls. Kind of a mustard, but not quite.

Old 05-13-2010, 12:41 PM

302 posts, read 961,599 times
Good idea guys, I really like that granite in the picture.

Old 05-13-2010, 01:33 PM

51 posts, read 122,360 times
MDtech, you can also change the hardware on your cabinets, depending on the granite you get and depending on the general style of your home.

Adding pictures, accessories, rugs, and kitchen top appliances in the general theme color you choose will also help a lot.

I don't know why you say you are bad with colors - they are just your choice and you should not let anyone tell you otherwise

Pick YOUR favorite colors, take a samples of those and put them each next to the granite you like with a piece of something white. And voila, you will have your favorite color pallets to compare!!

Old 12-19-2010, 11:00 PM

13 posts, read 53,193 times
done many of homes the way you are doing yours, I work with high end designers and many times when you have the light faux cabinets with that dark island if they have wood floors engineered or concrete stain we use reds, oranges,aquas, dark beige ,for other type of floors we use tuscan finish ,lighter oranges terracotas ,killim beiges, french vanilla . do not make it look plain by using any other color that is already on your kitchen the less wall on the room the more dramatic the color ,this to accent your cabinets and windows from the project , check your local bookstore for home magazines so that you will have a better idea of what others are doing with their projects. good luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating