Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2010, 05:32 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,314,203 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eclecticlady View Post
I must disagree with Desertsun41 about not being able to stain over painted cabinets. The prior poster was referring to GEL STAIN which is used primarily for that very purpose: Staining over existing finish.

Gel stain does not penetrate wood, it lays on top, but it has the look of stain rather than paint. It can even be applied to metal doors to achieve the look of stained wood. Also, when glazing cabinets, many companies will mix oil based stain with oil based glaze to achieve the end result.

Although I've not personally done any of the above, I've been researching the technique for months. I've learned that Gel Stain might very well be the answer to revitalizing old kitchen cabinets.

Lastly, painted kitchen cabinets, if done with care and patience, are beautiful. For How-To tips simply Google: gel stain and you'll find 1,010,000 websites, articles and videos on the subject.
THANK YOU!!! Our front door is like this and we need to freshen it up but I had no idea how. I am sure this is what the previous owners used
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2010, 02:57 PM

169 posts, read 799,228 times
Just wanted to pop in and give an update -

We washed the cabinets with TSP, gave them a light sanding, and painted them a rich chocolate brown with the new Behr paint that has a primer built in. 2 coats. Had granite counters installed and a travertine backsplash. Replaced the microwave and the stove. Looks fantastic! The only thing I can think of to make it even better is if I can get someone to install crown around the top of the cabinets to elongate their look. I might see if I can find someone to do that in the new year... I'll post a photo if I can figure out how to ;-)

Paint & supplies $60
Granite (42 ft), stainless under-mount sink and travertine subway tile backsplash - $2000 installed
New stove & microwave $980
Kitchen faucet $130
Kitchen looks a Million times better and I do not anticipate any issues selling this house! Now what to do with the yicky shower in the master bath.....

Old 12-15-2010, 08:11 PM

516 posts, read 1,376,199 times
I wanna see!

Old 12-16-2010, 06:29 AM

5,284 posts, read 20,052,779 times
Painted kitchen cabinets have been around for hundreds of years - to me they are not something that go in and out of fashion - they are classic.

Old 12-16-2010, 06:49 AM

5,696 posts, read 19,146,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
Painted kitchen cabinets have been around for hundreds of years - to me they are not something that go in and out of fashion - they are classic.
I agree and I feel the same way about white cabinets. Some have a meltdown over white cabinets but anytime you look at a kitchen with a certain type of wood, it is a major clue on when the kitchen was renovated. White is classic. The only thing that dates white cabinets are countertops and hardware.

Old 12-16-2010, 01:17 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,862,283 times
i feel as long as they are properly cleaned/prepped painted cabinates can look fabulous...add some fancy hardware and youve got "custom" cabinates for a few hours of labor.

anyone else looking into this should also look into refacing their cabinates, we had our entire kitchen redon, couldnt afford new cabinates, got resurfaced with new doors, with a new counter and sink, plus put in all brand new apliances and hardware included, plus redid the floor and it looks STUNNING for under $10K, kitchen is about 350sqft.

Old 12-16-2010, 01:27 PM

1,135 posts, read 2,192,276 times
Hey people learning to reinvent their homes on a budget keeps me in business......and it keeps more money in the homeowners pocket! I love building on a budget.. BTW oak cabinets painted satin black are phenomenal since the grain of the wood(that most people hate) looks awesome! Toss in the brushed stainless accents and even the stainless-tin ceiling look! wowza

But I only use oil for the durability factor.

Old 12-20-2010, 12:43 PM

51 posts, read 127,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starlady01 View Post
If they are real wood I would stain them if not I would paint them.

Painted cabinets are in right now started in 09 went out years ago but right now they are back in.

I have been reading and they also have paint made for your countertops I was wondering if perhaps that would also go on laminate cabinets. I have seen quite a few finished products and they look great.

Hm Granite looking cabinets on one side with oak on the other along with granite looking counter top on the side of the oak with butcher block countertops on the other along with granite cabinets. hm

If I can find the granite countertop product (paint) to match the countertops I want I just may check this out. Since I am pulling some of my old cabinets out. trial run

Totally agree, they wife and spent all last summer house hunting in the crap apple and roswell area, and i saw several homes that had painte cabinets with granite and they were beautiful,

I asked one home owner and was told they used a color call Bone white on their cabinets , You can asked but do what you like, and like any decorating idea its still a matter of taste, and how its executed.

Ive walked in great homes decorated with expensive stuff that looked over cluttered and style confused , that must be the new interior decor "it" for this year LOL!!

Old 01-21-2013, 08:23 AM

1 posts, read 780 times
Default Uglyest Kitchen

I have the uglyest kitchen going, I have cabinets that are over 40yrs old & they are an ugly thing to look @ all the time. I have cheap looking wood stained laminated cabinets & better yet!!!!!!! The countertops are a colour that hasn't been seen since the dark ages, it's a disgusting redish, maroon. Any advice on how to paint over countertops and cabinets would be a great help

Old 01-21-2013, 08:37 AM

4,232 posts, read 6,909,066 times
Instead of painting over the counters, I would look into just replacing them with a mid-grade laminate. It would be MUCH more durable. Regardless of the new counter paint that is out there, I am just not a fan of painting counters. It's a band-aid that just "kicks the can down the road" in my opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating