Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2013, 08:41 AM

1,135 posts, read 2,494,957 times

Advertisements

We were in the same situation in our last house, starter home neighborhood, house would only sell for so much, high end kitchen wouldnt add much value, but a nice updated one would help re-sale (and it did)

We Painted our stained hardwood cabinets white with latex semi-gloss paint. added a small trim to the top of them, put on new hardware and put in some cheaper granite counter tops. made a WORLD of a differce for an affordable price. Only lived there for about 2 years with the painted cabinets, but they held up just fine and washed off easily.

before

After

We did end up replacing the floor at some point too
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2013, 08:52 AM

18,381 posts, read 19,020,549 times
I painted mine and they look way better.

Old 01-21-2013, 10:08 AM

935 posts, read 3,447,733 times
I recently used Insl-X to paint an old buffet I picked up for cheap. The paint went on nicely with a very soft brush (square water color wash brush from an art store). If I were painting cabinets, that's the way I'd go. That said, the Insl-X is a tint base, so I don't think you can go very dark in color.

Old 01-22-2013, 01:02 AM

5,035 posts, read 9,224,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leasie View Post
I have the uglyest kitchen going, I have cabinets that are over 40yrs old & they are an ugly thing to look @ all the time. I have cheap looking wood stained laminated cabinets & better yet!!!!!!! The countertops are a colour that hasn't been seen since the dark ages, it's a disgusting redish, maroon. Any advice on how to paint over countertops and cabinets would be a great help
You could paint the countertops with something like this or this, (the first one is easier and has more color options), and you could paint the cabinets with this.

Old 01-22-2013, 06:21 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,314,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris410 View Post
We were in the same situation in our last house, starter home neighborhood, house would only sell for so much, high end kitchen wouldnt add much value, but a nice updated one would help re-sale (and it did)

We Painted our stained hardwood cabinets white with latex semi-gloss paint. added a small trim to the top of them, put on new hardware and put in some cheaper granite counter tops. made a WORLD of a differce for an affordable price. Only lived there for about 2 years with the painted cabinets, but they held up just fine and washed off easily.

before

After

We did end up replacing the floor at some point too
Another inexpensive upgrade on a kitchen similar to this would be to add some wood trim to the door fronts to make them look more updated. Put that one before you paint and they will look like new cabinets. I've seen people that lucked out finding picture frames that fit their cabinet doors so they just had to glue those on, caulk around the edges and paint.

Old 01-28-2013, 09:32 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,217,748 times
Personally. I would live w/ the cabinets, especially since you're upgrading to granite. You might try a rub on stain if you want them slightly darker, or to improve surface discoloration or minor scratches. Minwax. Or go old school w/ Old English scratch cover. I do not like the short term wear you get with most painted cabinets..Goodluck w/ whatever you do.

Old 01-28-2013, 09:35 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,217,748 times
Chris410 Awesome make over. Amazing the change that Island extension made. I think I'll try that in a home I own. Good job.

Old 01-30-2013, 10:52 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,161,541 times
I admire you for improving your kitchen to make it more pleasant for you. I'd visit a good paint store, like a Benjamin Moore dealer, not a big box place, but a paint store. The guys there will give you good advice. They will help you choose the paint brushes and other equipment you need, and they can recommend stain.

A good paint store is a wonderful resource for the home decorator.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating