Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Honda and Acura
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2021, 11:52 AM

13,707 posts, read 12,418,158 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hankrigby View Post
Yeah that's a lot of miles she may put a hundred thousand on it and never need to do any work. You just never know
Quote:
Originally Posted by bvb_09 View Post
There is always a misconception that some cars do not need any maintenance or repairs just because they are reliable.

Yes - Toyota/Honda/Nissan and other can go 300-400K miles and more, but not without maintenance and parts replacement.

I really find it hard to believe that a car will go from 240K to 340K (or even less) without any work, reliable as it can be...
It won't have to. IF she doesn't drive much she'll likely get the 15K trouble free miles she needs out of it before she stops driving.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2021, 11:58 AM

4,621 posts, read 2,219,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
It won't have to. IF she doesn't drive much she'll likely get the 15K trouble free miles she needs out of it before she stops driving.
You never really know it depends on how well it was taking care of prior to her getting it and that's something you can guess at but it's not something you can determine for sure unless it's a wreck, I've seen these things have six or seven hundred thousand miles on them and never needed a major repair. I've seen him with 23,000 mi and they needed transmission replaced. The former is quite rare.

You are taking a chance there is no such thing as a car that won't have any problems ever it's just a gamble of how long it goes without them.

Old 01-26-2021, 12:52 PM

4,206 posts, read 3,756,066 times
I am not a fan of Honda, but I do have to say that a former co worker had a 2008 CRV and he had over 400K on it and it kept going. It was starting to require some maintenance, but to get that many miles out of a vehicle is pretty impressive.

Old 01-26-2021, 06:58 PM

3,128 posts, read 2,254,432 times
When I worked at Honda there were a few people who had vehicles with up to 500,000 miles on them. And yes, they all had regular maintenance performed on them. The highest mileage Honda I ever saw was a station wagon with 1,000,000 miles on it. The company gave that person a brand new Honda in exchange for their old one.

Old 01-27-2021, 10:24 AM

11,103 posts, read 9,746,390 times
She's 80. How many more miles do you think she's going to be driving??? Grandma isn't going to be driving 100,000. He said she just drives short distances.

The OP hasn't said ANYTHING to indicate that the car was not maintained well. Why are all of you jumping in and saying that it can't get a 100,000 more miles if it wasn't maintained well? The fact that the car has 240,000 and runs well seems to indicate that the one owner did take good care of it, or it wouldn't have lasted this long. My hubby recently sold his 1996 Toyota Corrola that he inherited. It was maintained by him, and it ran great, virtually no repairs on it ever, and he was the third owner. When he sold that, he got to take my 2002 Honda CRV, with 167,000 miles on it, and I got a new car. He was very happy to drive my 18 year old CRV, because he was the one who did all the maintenance and he knew it had probably another 100K in it easily. It ran like the day I bought it at the dealership. One repair in 18 years...the A/C. I recently sold it and got 2x blue book value because it looked and ran like new.

OP if you are concerned, take it to a trusted mechanic and have them give it a thorough inspection. Make sure your relative has a cellphone, a AAA card, and the phone numbers of trusted neighbors who can pick her up if anything goes wrong.

Old 01-27-2021, 10:38 AM

3,560 posts, read 1,651,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
She's 80. How many more miles do you think she's going to be driving??? Grandma isn't going to be driving 100,000. He said she just drives short distances.

The OP hasn't said ANYTHING to indicate that the car was not maintained well. Why are all of you jumping in and saying that it can't get a 100,000 more miles if it wasn't maintained well? The fact that the car has 240,000 and runs well seems to indicate that the one owner did take good care of it, or it wouldn't have lasted this long. My hubby recently sold his 1996 Toyota Corrola that he inherited. It was maintained by him, and it ran great, virtually no repairs on it ever, and he was the third owner. When he sold that, he got to take my 2002 Honda CRV, with 167,000 miles on it, and I got a new car. He was very happy to drive my 18 year old CRV, because he was the one who did all the maintenance and he knew it had probably another 100K in it easily. It ran like the day I bought it at the dealership. One repair in 18 years...the A/C. I recently sold it and got 2x blue book value because it looked and ran like new.

OP if you are concerned, take it to a trusted mechanic and have them give it a thorough inspection. Make sure your relative has a cellphone, a AAA card, and the phone numbers of trusted neighbors who can pick her up if anything goes wrong.

I dont know any mechanics ouija board that can pinpoint life of transmission. To do so would require somebody disassembling the transmission and doing precise measurements. More costly than just replacing transmission.

I am not saying all transmissions over 100k will drop dead tomorrow. I am saying with 240k miles, PLAN ON THE WORST, cause its likely that transmission will fail at an inconvenient time in near future. You might get lucky, but then you might get lucky buying a lottery ticket. Winning a lottery is possible, but unlikely. Lotteries are basically intended as a tax on the mathematically challenged. So are automatics with 240k miles.

So if you buy a 240k car, just factor likelihood that it will require a new transmission into what you pay for it. Most cars with that many miles are not worth a new transmission, but hey maybe you just really like the car for some reason and are willing to pay the piper.

The traditional way to gamble on high mile car was to buy one with a manual transmission. You test drive the car, you have pretty good idea of condition of transmission. Course the price mechanics charge to put in a new clutch.... but hey if you are physically able, you can put in new clutch over weekend for $150 in parts. darn few folk are going to rebuild a modern automatic transmission in their driveway. Though there are kits to do this for the very brave.

Old 01-27-2021, 10:43 AM

10,292 posts, read 6,818,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
Pretty much the end of the thread, actually. She won't be driving any "100,000" K's, let alone miles. She's comin towards the end of "individual transportation" in her driving career.
Quote:
This isn't a bad idea for any octogenarian, actually.

Old 01-27-2021, 10:52 AM

8,272 posts, read 10,981,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hankrigby View Post
Automatic transmission filter change, NEVER... NEVER FLUSH AN AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION. And radiator fluid changes are important too just much less often needed.
A good point missed by many.

Old 01-27-2021, 11:01 AM

32,634 posts, read 47,986,069 times
My first Honda, I drove for 210,000 miles and then gave it to my son, who put another 100,000 miles on it, and got a good price when he sold it because it was still running,

My cars get their scheduled maintenance. That car needed new springs when it got to 200,000 miles and I can't remember any other parts ever needing replacing. It just ran and ran, got 52 mpg, and could carry two adults and 5 German shepherd dogs and fully loaded with camping equipment and still go like a scalded cat.

It had a stick, not an automatic transmission, if that makes a difference.

I wouldn't hesitate over a Honda with 240,000 if it had been well maintained and wasn't currently showing any mechanical problems.

Old 01-27-2021, 11:33 AM

22,319 posts, read 29,407,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USC1986 View Post
Family member, in their 80's & only drives short distances, just bought an 08 Honda CRV with 240,000 miles.
I have not seen it, but she says in very good condition, "one owner", etc.
I know a well maintained Honda, Toyota & a few other makes can go 300k miles or more, but is she pushing the envelope, especially regarding major component lifespans if they have not been refurbished or replaced by now.
Personally, I would have been OK with 140,000 miles or so, as long as full maintenance records were included, but I'm worried this may be just too many miles.
Did she get it inspected first?? Just because it's one owner doesn't mean squat
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Honda and Acura