Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Honda and Acura
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2010, 10:43 AM

2,497 posts, read 7,474,533 times

Advertisements

I have a 2008 Civic with 26K. It still smells new and drives great. Well I took it in to the local Honda dealer (not the same Honda dealer I bought the car from) for an oil change. Well as usual they find other things that need 'attention.' Like the Cabin Filter and the Air Filter. Now, I have mostly owned older cars until I got this car so I'm kinda new to this. The filters looked like they had some wear, but not bad at all. I could have used an air hose to clean them. Then he said my tires are wearing un-even and I need a 4 wheel alignment. The bill?...... $782.
I told him no, just do the oil change. I took the car to a friends dad who is a diesel truck mechanic and he said none of that stuff needed "attention." He checked it thoroughly and could not see why they were going to charge me this much. The car is practically new still.
So my question is should I stop going to dealers for service all together or what? I don't know who I can trust.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2010, 10:50 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,893,696 times
I've never had that happen with my Honda dealer, and we bought our car used, too. We've now owned it three years, and I get my oil changes exclusively at the dealer. When I bring it in for semi-annual oil changes, they "grade" some of the rest of the car, like tires/brakes. They are either given a green for good, there is also something in-between, and red for needs replacing. The only thing that ever needed replacing was two of the tires, and they were obviously bald. I wouldn't rule out a Honda dealership altogether for servicing, but I wouldn't go back to the one you went to. In fact, I might even report them.

Old 02-28-2010, 11:21 AM

10,494 posts, read 27,229,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jc76 View Post
I have a 2008 Civic with 26K. It still smells new and drives great. Well I took it in to the local Honda dealer (not the same Honda dealer I bought the car from) for an oil change. Well as usual they find other things that need 'attention.' Like the Cabin Filter and the Air Filter. Now, I have mostly owned older cars until I got this car so I'm kinda new to this. The filters looked like they had some wear, but not bad at all. I could have used an air hose to clean them. Then he said my tires are wearing un-even and I need a 4 wheel alignment. The bill?...... $782.
I told him no, just do the oil change. I took the car to a friends dad who is a diesel truck mechanic and he said none of that stuff needed "attention." He checked it thoroughly and could not see why they were going to charge me this much. The car is practically new still.
So my question is should I stop going to dealers for service all together or what? I don't know who I can trust.
Ok, a four wheel alignment should cost no more than $100. The two filters would go for $50 max, and they are both easy to get to. An oil change for no more than $40. Trying to charge you $782 for all this is highway robbery, plain and simple. I would avoid that dealership from now on.

Old 02-28-2010, 11:41 AM

3,681 posts, read 9,054,484 times
Quote:
As others have said, I would NEVER go back to THIS dealer. I would also report them to Honda.... Generally speaking, most Honda dealers are actually pretty good, a little pricey as you'd expect from a dealership but not straight up thieves like the one you went to... They obviously tried to rob you!

Old 02-28-2010, 12:20 PM

4,237 posts, read 24,771,717 times
Sounds like the typical dealer tactic to get into your wallet. They may tell you something needs replaced when it doesn't, or they may tell you it's going to cost more than it really should, or both.

Old 02-28-2010, 01:46 PM
miu

17,766 posts, read 40,152,606 times
Do what I did, find a good non-dealership aka independent garage to work on my Hondas. We have several good ones in the Boston area. The one I used to use only used Honda oem parts for their customers' cars. Now my boyfriend works on my cars.

Old 02-28-2010, 02:20 PM

2,497 posts, read 7,474,533 times
Thanks for all you inputs and advice. Not going back to this dealer. I only went them because I got a coupon in the mail good for $20. on any service. So I got a $38.99 oil change for 18.99. Maybe they thought I was a cheapskate, I just wanted to save a few bucks and use this coupon, that's what it's there for after all.

I don't have a copy of the suggested items but I can list here what I remember, from memory, he said I needed.
-Air cabin filter, $99.+69. labor
-Air Filter $59.99+49. labor
-4 wheel computer alignment w/ rotation around $400.

Cant remember what else he said it needed, but it all ended up at 782.

What gets me is the labor part, I can get to the air filter in literally 5 seconds. Super easy. Not sure how to get to this cabin filter but he had it out before I even had a chance to pour my coffee, so it can't be too hard of a job.

Old 02-28-2010, 02:26 PM

4,237 posts, read 24,771,717 times
You should have asked him how much extra would it cost you to have an adjustment done on the dwell for the breaker points and also how much to richen up the carburetor....

See if they actually came back with a quote just on those two items....then you'd really know if they were trying to take you to the cleaners.

Old 02-28-2010, 02:26 PM

2,715 posts, read 11,902,279 times
I would file a complaint with Honda.

Old 02-28-2010, 03:46 PM

3,681 posts, read 9,054,484 times
Quote:
Thanks for all you inputs and advice. Not going back to this dealer. I only went them because I got a coupon in the mail good for $20. on any service. So I got a $38.99 oil change for 18.99. Maybe they thought I was a cheapskate, I just wanted to save a few bucks and use this coupon, that's what it's there for after all.

I don't have a copy of the suggested items but I can list here what I remember, from memory, he said I needed.
-Air cabin filter, $99.+69. labor
-Air Filter $59.99+49. labor
-4 wheel computer alignment w/ rotation around $400.

Cant remember what else he said it needed, but it all ended up at 782.

What gets me is the labor part, I can get to the air filter in literally 5 seconds. Super easy. Not sure how to get to this cabin filter but he had it out before I even had a chance to pour my coffee, so it can't be too hard of a job.
Call that SOB and ask him how much extra he'd charge for some fresh air in your tires and a fresh can of beep for your horn!!!!! Seriously, I'd F with them a little!

UNBELIEVABLE!! Defintely file a complaint with Honda!

Last edited by X-Greensboro Resident; 02-28-2010 at 03:56 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Honda and Acura